DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Ambient Light Not Providing Light for Token Vision

Hi I am experience a problem where ambient light is not providing light in terms of revealing other tokens. The attached video is not mine but demonstrates the problem beautifully. Please let me know if you can help. (Sorry if I broke any rules, first time posting.)

Youtube Video
    https://youtu.be/HBz3exKMZVM

Welcome to the FG forums!

Please compile you logs after running a campaign that has this issue. Attach the resulting ZIP file here. See this page for details on how to compile the FG logs: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...o+Compile+Logs
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I think this is the file you need. Let me know if you need anything else!
    Attached Files Attached Files

It looks like the application was started a couple times since the original session; so the logs don't contain much information unfortunately. (It only remembers the current session, and the last session, for the logs.)

Is there a specific timestamp in the video that I should look at?

Thanks,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It looks like the application was started a couple times since the original session; so the logs don't contain much information unfortunately. (It only remembers the current session, and the last session, for the logs.)

Is there a specific timestamp in the video that I should look at?

Thanks,
    JPG
    It was my video, I created a new campaign and turned off all non theme extensions to keep it as clean as possible. At 5 seconds in I click on the first NPC, showing how when selected it shows all other creatures as being hidden (as if the scene wasn't lit), the creatures with darkvision (below the purple line) do not suffer this and can see each other freely.

If ambient lighting is refreshed (set to a different value, and then set back to sunlight) it will work properly for the rest of the session but return to the initial behaviour again when the server is opened again.
    If lighting is turned off on the map all tokens can see each other fine.

I explained this a bit clearer in my original bug report, but I am going to bed atm so I will dig it up again tomorrow if I have time/remember.

I just attached a video where I set up one of the FG sample battle maps with two CoreRPG characters without any special vision; and it appears to be working correctly for me.

* Can you see where my steps differed from your steps, so I can recreate? (I'll probably need more specific steps, and the resolution was a little low on the video so hard to see exactly what was happening.)

Thanks,
    JPG
    Attached Files Attached Files

* Can you see where my steps differed from your steps, so I can recreate? (I'll probably need more specific steps, and the resolution was a little low on the video so hard to see exactly what was happening.)

Thanks,
    JPG
    You have to /reload or close and reopen the campaign after applying the ambient lighting to see the bug. I just tested it in a blank corerpg campaign.

My steps were:
    1. create fresh campaign
    2. create npc with token and add to combat tracker
    3. create image record, add grid, make sure lighting and LoS are turned on.
    4. enable ambient light
    5. place both npcs from the combat tracker on the map/image record
    6. Important: use the /reload command (or close and reopen the campaign)
    7. open the image record, select one of the tokens (noting that the other one goes transparent as if it were hidden)

I have taken some more screenshots to illustrate the problem and how when darkvision is added to a creature the issue is nullified (to hopefully make it easier to identify the cause).

Creature "Test 2" selected: unable to see test 1 despite ambient light
    Screenshot 2022-05-06 151032.jpg

Creature "Test 1" selected: unable to see test 2 despite ambient light
    Screenshot 2022-05-06 151055.jpg

Creature "Test 1" selected: able to see test 2 due to darkvision being applied
    Screenshot 2022-05-06 151205.jpg
    Note: If a radius were applied test 1 would cease to be able to see test 1 and it would show as hidden again if viewing beyond the radius

I just attached a video where I set up one of the FG sample battle maps with two CoreRPG characters without any special vision; and it appears to be working correctly for me.
    The video resolution is 4k, do you mean that it was too high a resolution or the DPI scaling was too low for you to see?

It seems to be the reload that's the issue. If I follow the steps above up to number 5 and test things then the NPCs can see each other just fine. But once I reload then I see the issue above. So even if the NPCs have been interacted with before the reload after the reload they become apparently invisible to one another. And once this happens it doesn't appear that there's a fix; so even if I revert changes on the map and load up the tokens again then even without reloading the campaign or switching ambient light on and off the NPCs remain invisible to one another. Giving one of the NPCs a light source (doesn't need to be darkvision - any light source will do) does solve the problem.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    It seems to be the reload that's the issue. If I follow the steps above up to number 5 and test things then the NPCs can see each other just fine. But once I reload then I see the issue above. So even if the NPCs have been interacted with before the reload after the reload they become apparently invisible to one another. And once this happens it doesn't appear that there's a fix; so even if I revert changes on the map and load up the tokens again then even without reloading the campaign or switching ambient light on and off the NPCs remain invisible to one another. Giving one of the NPCs a light source (doesn't need to be darkvision - any light source will do) does solve the problem.
    If you change the light colour or preset of the ambient lighting it will fix it for the rest of that session, but it will break again on loading the campaign again.

Giving a light source is only a temporary fix as well, or atleast it was the last time I tested it.

This is not just limited to npcs though, it applies equally to PCs.

Thanks for the detailed steps; that was exactly what I needed to be able to recreate the issue locally and get a ticket with examples sent to @cpinder.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information