5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Portrait Packs - JPG vs PNG

I read in the wiki that for PPKs we should use Optimized JPGs (60-70%)
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...Portrait+Packs

However, most PPKs I look at contents of seem to have PNGs in them instead.
    Is this due to the JPG comment being old (or very new, since even my DLWWW Portraits are PNGs)

I started converting to JPG on my current thing and decided to check naming if they more often use "-" or "_" ("-" is most common I found) and then noticed most were PNGs although an occasional french fry was found in the onion rings.

I've generally always used png files for portraits but either jpg or png will be fine.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Good to know. I had previously always created PNGs for portaits (and tokens, of course) and JPGs for "standard" images.

Then I read the WIKI as I tried to refamiliarize with current norms:
    Code:
    Creating Portrait Packs
    To create a portrait pack you need the following:

Portrait Image files

Each portrait image file should be 100px by 100px optimized JPG (ScriptJPG at 60%-70% works great).

Save the image files as a .zip file (not the folder they are in). Rename the extension ".zip" to ".ppk" and you are done.
    For the one example token I made, the JPG was ~3K and PNG 16K (70% optimized and compression-9, respectively)
    I have poor vision and even on my big monitor I cannot make out details. When zoomed to even 140% I could see the "halo" around the face - although it wasn't "in your face" unless you were looking at it critically. I feel that a 100 16K portraits is nothing space wise (not that this has more than 22) so if not forbidden, I'd go that way.

I did notice that even in 5E/WotC portraits there are some png and more jpg. So it is probably a more "recent" change of preference for Smitworks. If JPGs are required for new submissions and they want what I am making, I'll swap in the JPG versions and keep for myself the higher quality ones.

Thread Information