DICE PACKS BUNDLE

definition files and "version of Fantasy Grounds"

In the info for definition.xml files, it tells me to include the version (recently I had been doing just <root> tag since never understood the various version values ":"s and Core vs Ruleset etc.

<root version="{current version of Fantasy Grounds}">

On the FGU main screen it listS:
    v4.1.17 (2022-04-14)

Mostly everything in my "modules" directory is old. For example, one of the latest entries is "SWD Assets.mod", that has:
    <root version="3.1">

The latest dates are for 4/5/2022 (not necessarily new of course, just when I added it probably), a bunch of OSRIC stuff - opening GM's reference Monsters and Encounters that has:
    <root version="3.3" release="35|CoreRPG:4.1">

Extensions:

Theme Simple Dark Unity (4/13/2022) is:
    <root version="3.2" logo="logo.png">

SW Enhanced Library (4/5/2022) is:
    <root version="3.0">

What should "latest" be? ="4.1" or "4.1.17" or ... "3.3" the highest in the other files?
    I was always confused, especially the ones with release="..." added. Could not see where to get this info.

The easiest way to find the version is to export something. The image shows what the version was as of yesterday when I exported this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Thanks - that makes total sense. I didn't think of it since I mainly was XML editing not exporting. That said, it appears that "version=" DOES relate to the number you see clearly when you start "4.1.17", it just only goes to the minor version which makes sense.

They do not seem to require the other 2 fields "dataversion" and "release" according to the WIKI since they are only showing the first. Are you of any opinion on, if I can easily export to get this info, if I should also include that in something I would make publicly available? I ask because those numbers always seemed inconsistant in presentation and I never knew what it meant to me anyhow hehe.

Blog Entries
    Be aware, I think the version field in the mod file limits the oldest version of FG your module can be loaded with. So if you set it to 4.1, users of FGC or even FGU users that have not updated will not be able to open the module.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Be aware, I think the version field in the mod file limits the oldest version of FG your module can be loaded with. So if you set it to 4.1, users of FGC or even FGU users that have not updated will not be able to open the module.
    This is my understanding of the version number in the ruleset. It sets the first version that your ruleset (or module, or extension) supports.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Which is why I stopped putting it in there when saw others without versions in there.

Honestly, I have no idea what version my mod would support, in the old days when I used to develop for various clients I’d have a Windows Box, and NT Server and 2 separate Linux servers to test on at home and that only covered broad categories. For “functionality” with features, I’d need several different installed of older versions. In the long ago past I had trouble getting a universal and demo install on same box for testing. Nowadays I just have one of FGU and FGC on my windows box and same on laptop.

So takeaway … no idea and I suppose the Smitework people are expecting folks to update to the latest minor versions. So some 3.x Is probably what you would want IF you were adding this as was listed in the wiki. I say if you don’t know truly what the min is, using your current version is likely only to cause someone issues somewhere. So maybe don’t use it until you find out or are told of a min version from their testing or a customer issue.

Blog Entries
    I would say that if your module was created in FGU then you will want to set the version to 4.0, just so people in FGC don't try to open it and then have problems with the new image format. Otherwise it probably doesn't matter.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information