Starfinder Playlist

Crashing at session end

I have been having an issue for the last several weeks, and I want to see if this is a known issue, or if I am the only one seeing this. Hopefully I can get an idea how to fix this.

I am running a game with FG2. Modules were converted over from FG1 with minimal fuss, and everything works well. I can add images and tokens that will show up when I next sign into FG2. I have rarely, if ever, crashed out mid-sessions. However, everytime I close the program at the end of a session, the program crashes and gives me the usual Microsoft error message, send or don't send. When I sign back into FG2, everything that should have been retained has been lost, specifically grids on maps that were used that evening and token positions. This is a consistent occurance, and occurs whether I have been playing a full session (again with no crashes during), or if I open and close immediately. So far it hasn't been a huge detriment to the game, just an minor annoyance. I'd like to find out if there's something that can be done to rectify the issue before it becomes a major annoyance.

Is anyone else having this issue? Aside from this one thing, FG2 has run like a champ for me.

I've had this recently. I think something in your campaign may have got corrupted. Try creating a new campaign, then drop the db.xml in to the new campaign folder (to get your characters and stuff). This fixed the problem for me.

{EDIT} I also had to copy the portraits folder across. The players did complain that they had lost their notes. I guess these are not stored in the db.xml file.
    Last edited by Valarian; October 4th, 2007 at 15:44.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

You can try doing a manual /save before you exit. For some reason I've been losing the same sort of stuff when I exit out of FG and start up the next time but I don't even get the crashes. Sometimes /save helps but sometimes it doesn't. Or, I forget to do it.

rv

Crashing on exit seems to be caused by several things. For me it has primarily been when I have added something to an imported module tab.

For example if I have an adventure module with a few maps on a tab and then add a new map on the tab holding the adventure modules maps then FG will crash on exit. If you delete the new map FG will no longer crash on exit.

Dachannien pointed out that the auto save function does not currently work in FG2. Apparently it is trying to save to a non existant campaign folder in *Program Files* instead of app data and silently fails. The /save command actually does work and save to the right folder.

Dachannien suggested if you want auto save to work correctly while you wait for Smiteworks to fix the pathing as a work around you could create a campaigns\<name of campaign you want to autosave> in program files by hand which would allow autosave to function normally. IE for my Valon campaign I would add campaigns\Valon to FG2 in program files. I think it good advice.
    Last edited by Griogre; October 4th, 2007 at 18:51.

Just an FYI. My D20 game was crashing at close of campaign just as AndyPan says and Griogre's fix did the trick. I had first deleted all drawings from the folders and it still would crash. I realized that there were still "drawing" links in the tabs, even though they didn't go to anything. Once I deleted these, good as gold.
    Thanks G!
    Andro1d
    "Winter is coming..."

You're welcome, andro1d.

AndyPan, sometimes it is something else getting corupt. You can find out what it is by commenting out parts of the XML and starting and stopping FG.

First make a backup of you db.xml file to a safe place, just in case. What I do is comment out each part in turn. The four main parts likely to have the most data are the server characters, the strorybook, maps and personalities.

You need to leave the
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    <root version="2.x">
    alone but after that you use <!-- to start a comment and the --> to end a comment out the xml. For example to start comment out every thing but the server characters all the way down to to but not including the close root tag </root>
    Start and quit FG2 until you locate the area with the crash then just keep narrowing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian
    The players did complain that they had lost their notes. I guess these are not stored in the db.xml file.
    They are, in fact - just tagged as <note> in FG1 and <notes> in FG2! I managed to keep the players' noted when I converted my campaign - see my thread called Player Notes.

Thread Information