STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Ding on chat?

Ding on chat?

Hi. I have difficulty talking for long periods after parathyroid surgery but am still running my weekly games, mostly using the chat console. It works out pretty well except when I chat unexpectedly and then it takes a bit for players to notice that I said something, especially when a lot of voice interaction is going in.

We were wondering if there is a way that I can have the chat console ding a bell when I say something? Can this be done through an extension or something of that nature? Maybe there's already something I didn't notice?

Thanks in advance

The only sound that FGU makes at the moment is ring bell on turn changes. And that only dings for the player whose turn it is.

This is something that might be possible once the sound integration with Syrinscape happens.

You might be able to alter one of the font extensions to make the DM chat bigger or something like that; or there may already be an extension on the forge which does something close to what you want.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

That's too bad. Thanks for the reply.

Hey there, I was intrigued by your situation so I put this Toll the Dead extension together. It should work totally fine on any of the others I did this really quick so I didn't test much, but try it out and let me know what you think. If it works for you, I'll verify some more and set it up on the Forge.

This extension adds a client option to turn on the bell for GM-sent chat messages. It defaults to on.

As with any extension, you can open this with a zip utility and explore the source on your own.

TollTheDead.ext

Edit: guess I should add, if you're not familiar with raw extensions, you can just grab this and drop it in your FG data directory's "extensions" folder (for the location of the data directory, check Settings > Advanced from the FG launcher).
    Last edited by anathemort; September 2nd, 2022 at 05:21.

So awesome, thank you, I will test it in the morning and let you know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by anathemort View Post
    Hey there, I was intrigued by your situation so I put this Toll the Dead extension together. It should work totally fine on any of the others I did this really quick so I didn't test much, but try it out and let me know what you think. If it works for you, I'll verify some more and set it up on the Forge.

This extension adds a client option to turn on the bell for GM-sent chat messages. It defaults to on.

As with any extension, you can open this with a zip utility and explore the source on your own.

TollTheDead.ext

Edit: guess I should add, if you're not familiar with raw extensions, you can just grab this and drop it in your FG data directory's "extensions" folder (for the location of the data directory, check Settings > Advanced from the FG launcher).
    I have a player with a similar issue as esmdev, except she is a player whereas I am the DM. Do you think you could add an option to turn on the bell (or a different sound, to differentiate) for players as well, not just the DM? It would make my life (and that of the rest of the group) so much easier, because sometimes when my players are discussing things/arguing with NPCs etc it take us a while to notice that the aforementioned player has written something in the chat.

We tested it this morning and it is working great, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
    I have a player with a similar issue as esmdev, except she is a player whereas I am the DM. Do you think you could add an option to turn on the bell (or a different sound, to differentiate) for players as well, not just the DM? It would make my life (and that of the rest of the group) so much easier, because sometimes when my players are discussing things/arguing with NPCs etc it take us a while to notice that the aforementioned player has written something in the chat.
    Yes, absolutely! I don't think I can change the sound but I was thinking of a second option to ding on other player activity too. Now that it's worked for esmdev, I'll add this. Probably tonight when I get home

Lo Zeno, I have made an update to the extension to add an option to listen to all activity and added it to the Forge. You guys can find the extension thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-chat-activity!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Thread Information