DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Blog Entries

Damage type list for the DCC ruleset

Hey everyone,

I want to share the list of damage types for the DCC ruleset. These are important for immunity, resistance, and vulnerability effects. The DCC rulebook does not contain an official list (see Appendix R) but makes several references to them. Other than defining them for the ruleset, I mostly have left damage types for GMs to apply as they see fit. Some of the more obvious spells have them, but you can modify or remove them if they don't suit your game. Here is the list:

Energy Weapon Ability Alignment Special
    acid adamantine strength chaotic nonlethal
    cold bludgeoning agility lawful
    electricity cold iron stamina
    fire magic personality
    force mithril intelligence
    gas piercing luck
    heat silver
    necrotic slashing
    poison
    psychic
    sonic

I tried to keep the list as concise as possible, but I included a few energy types that are very similar. For whatever reason, the rulebook appears to treat these as distinctly different damage types:

Damage Type Description
    fire flames
    heat high temperatures not involving flames
    gas toxic clouds
    poison venom and other liquids

This thread is intended as a reference, but feel free to share your insights on damage types in DCC RPG.

Cheers,
    Leo
    Last edited by leozelig; October 12th, 2022 at 11:34.

Does the MCC ruleset have the same damage types?
    Native Texan. Tabletop Gaming since 1977. Ultimate License holder. Life-long Trekkie. Traveller fanatic. Die-hard Savage. OSR enthusiast. 1930's Pulp aficionado.
    Currently Running:
    Cypher System: Shotguns, Sorcery & Shenanigans
    Currently Playing:
    Shadowdark: ShadowRim Excursion
    Savage Worlds: Hell Divers
    Ambition & Avarice: Maelstrom Island
    Time Zone: Central Daylight Time (GMT-5)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkerry View Post
    Does the MCC ruleset have the same damage types?
    Yes, all of the above plus ‘radiation’.

Is this list the same when assigning Custom Dice (such as the elemental dice) to a type of damage? Such as in MCC a Lazer Pistol is heat, but when I roll the damage dice, they are my normal dice instead of the Custom Damage: Heat dice from the new sets. On the other hand when I used the Electrical Generation Mutation, the Electricty Damage rolled uses the default Elemental Electricty dice. LIke I would assume it would do. So I guess my question is how do we assign weapons, mutations, spells, etc custom dice. I'm not able to assign even the default elemental dice to certain items as above, even using the Default Damage Name (ie Damage: Heat, Damage: Elemental - Fire, etc) Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
    Last edited by wolfknight75; April 22nd, 2023 at 09:20.

Blog Entries
    Good question. It sounds like you have it set up correctly. I will look into it and see if the ruleset needs any additional set up other than what’s in CoreRPG. Do the dice work for any damage types? Sometimes the DCC/MCC rulesets get assigned to a D&D default setting, so the odd dmg types like heat wouldn’t be in there.

Yes some of the dice work for the mutations; chain lightning, Cryokinesis, and detonating fingers. However, others do not such as Gas Genertion, Light Generation, life force Drain, etc. I haven't checked the spells from DCC yet. Thanks again for looking into this.

Blog Entries
    Hi wolfknight75, thanks for the report. Post a screenshot (or two) and the step-by-step details of what you are doing if you can. I’m having trouble reproducing the issue, but maybe I am not understanding. Thanks!

Thread Information