STAR TREK 2d20

5E - Alternate Cantrip Methodology

Game: Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition

Question: Is there a method in FGU to manage Cantrip (Level 0 spells) spell preparation in the same manner as level 1+ spells?

First, an acknowledgment: yep, I know this is a homebrew ruling, and yep I know it's not how the 5E system is built (RAW).

It's always stuck me as odd that a wizard capable of casting the complexity of a Fireball or Plane Shift could only know a handful of the most minor spells. Don't get me wrong, I understand the logic is supposed to be: they don't prep them, they're always prepped, and that's the trade-off.

Sure. That could work. Or, we just draw on some At-Will magic from 4E, but remember our Vancian roots, and make the caster choose which cantrips (at-will) spells they have prepared. So, I just use the "Cantrips Known" as a "Cantrips Prepared" limit, and include Level 0 spells in an enemy's spellbook(s) or as available from patrons as training, etc., just like level 1+ spells. But, the mechanics of the Actions tab is clunky for this, unless I'm missing something.

My current work-around is as such (I'd love to know if there's an easier way without settling for the RAW Cantrip system):

1) Create a new power group on the PC's character sheet's Actions tab "Spells [Cantrips (N)]" (where N is the number they can prepare each day)
    * This is an ABILITY type group, as SPELL recognizes them as cantrips
    * Cantrips, as a Spells category doesn't let me hide the spells that aren't prepped (as prep does for Level 1+)
    2) Shift the Actions Tab to the Preparation view and mark all of the Cantrips as 1 DAILY
    3) Swap back to Standard or Combat view - all cantrips now have the little use toggle dot in front of their names.
    4) The Player then "selects" the cantrips they want for the day by "using" the ones they don't want. Thus marking them as 1-time used for the day and hiding them.

Sure, we could forgo all of this, and allow the PCs to "just remember which are prepared"...and in one of my two groups, that would probably work - they picked up FGU very quickly and even propose their own Effect actions. But, the second group (which has more casters), they have trouble remembering where the Actions Tab is - let alone how to cast a spell. I've had to make "How To" videos for basic FGU features (like logging in, or choosing their character, or targeting an enemy). They struggle with remembering to swap from Preparation to Standard/Action as it is. So, a list of all available Cantrips is, well, overwhelming.

I've not harped on them much. But they get frustrated when I say, "Are you sure you have Guidance? You've used 4 different cantrips already. Which one of those wasn't prepared? Eh?" Thus my question. Because choosing and then hiding those which aren't available allows them the Vancian Utility of preparation, but doesn't undermine choice 100%.

Blog Entries
    Your work around is what I was going to suggest. Hopefully someone else has other ideas/solution.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It's been some months. Just thought I'd poke this little conundrum, and see if anyone had similar cantrip-thoughts (now that One D&D and new versions are on our minds). Specifically, someone who is more adept at extension writing than a kindergartener (i.e., me).

Your solution is still the only one without someone writing an extension. You'll need to find an extension writer who is enthused enough about your home rule to do the writing
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I play a similar rule to stop the cantrip spam and I solved it as you did. I think it's the easiest way to fix it without the need of an extension, with the potential to interact badly with other extensions.

Thread Information