STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

LOS deckplan for Lab Ship Death Station?

Anyone have a LOS deckplan for Lab Ship for the Death Station adventure?

as far as I know, there is no easy way to export LOS and Lighting metadata for a specific map to be exchanged between two players. I looked up exporting maps and Smiteworks has a way to upload those xml files to their forums to update *their* official maps (basically us helping them update their back catalogue).
    If I'm wrong, could someone please point out a way to do this, because I couldn't find it. I've been working on making my own high res deckplans in Dungeondraft (im slowly working through the free deckplans and Lab Ship is on my list) and exporting those jpegs into FGU where I then input all the LOS and lighting afterwards. I'd love to be able to share my work easier with other people, without having to take a crash course in how to manipulate xml files. I only have so much free time in my day to not devote to prepping my own game.

In the thread a little bit down about Mayday 2022 MBM said that Death Station is coming and offered a beta version to participating refs. So lab ship is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallorylover23 View Post
    as far as I know, there is no easy way to export LOS and Lighting metadata for a specific map to be exchanged between two players. I looked up exporting maps and Smiteworks has a way to upload those xml files to their forums to update *their* official maps (basically us helping them update their back catalogue).
    If I'm wrong, could someone please point out a way to do this, because I couldn't find it. I've been working on making my own high res deckplans in Dungeondraft (im slowly working through the free deckplans and Lab Ship is on my list) and exporting those jpegs into FGU where I then input all the LOS and lighting afterwards. I'd love to be able to share my work easier with other people, without having to take a crash course in how to manipulate xml files. I only have so much free time in my day to not devote to prepping my own game.
    This is quite simple to do; one just needs to right-click on the base layer of the map in question in the layer listings on the right of the image workspace, and the option to export metadata should appear. This will automatically generate the needed XML file for the relevant map.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatmough View Post
    This is quite simple to do; one just needs to right-click on the base layer of the map in question in the layer listings on the right of the image workspace, and the option to export metadata should appear. This will automatically generate the needed XML file for the relevant map.
    yes, that is the first step. Apparently you need to run python and put the xml file through a whole thing. I do not have the time to learn python. I know, to people who have used python it seems trivially simple, but i only have so much time to learn new programs and I'm knee deep in running a very detailed campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallorylover23 View Post
    yes, that is the first step. Apparently you need to run python and put the xml file through a whole thing. I do not have the time to learn python. I know, to people who have used python it seems trivially simple, but i only have so much time to learn new programs and I'm knee deep in running a very detailed campaign.
    This is incorrect. Once you have exported the metadata, the process is concluded. There are no further steps needed to be done.

MBM posted Death Station to the Forge.

I'll update it later this weekend (hopefully) with a LoS map for the Lab Ship.

Thanks,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Mallorylover23, not sure where you got the idea about needing Python, but I would listen to jwatmough, he is afterall Smiteworks resident artists/mapmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by johnecc View Post
    Mallorylover23, not sure where you got the idea about needing Python, but I would listen to jwatmough, he is afterall Smiteworks resident artists/mapmaker.
    sorry, I should have been clearer. I do most of my mapping on Dungeondraft. I can knock out a really good looking deckplan there in about 10% of the time it takes me in FGU; and it ends up looking so much better. I had just been researching being able to import LOS and lighting from that program into FGU and it is technically possible but apparently the format of the xml files are so drastically different, a script needs to be run through python to alter the file.

I had gotten my wires crossed and didn't consider that of course if the LOS and lighting were done in FGU, it would be a simple xml copy and paste.

My apologies for any attitude that came across with that original post. I had gotten a really nasty interaction before, when I asked in the dungeondraft subreddit about how to use python and the grumpiness I was feeling bled through here, and nobody at Smiteworks or on this forum deserved that.

Thread Information