Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    The have a VTT already. Do you know AboveVTT ?

Quote Originally Posted by Locotomo View Post
    The have a VTT already. Do you know AboveVTT ?
    It would be more accurate in this case to say "there IS a vtt for D&D Beyond already". Above VTT is a chrome extension that uses DDB data, but I do not believe it was created or administered by DBB. I believe it's a 3rd party chrome extension. DDB is currently developing its own VTT. At least that's my understanding.

I think you may find the Baldur's Gate 3 engine is a pretty good mapping system for a VTT.

It all comes down to making the tools easy for a DM to build what they need fast.

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    Here are my predictions (based completely on my own imagination):

1. DDB will continue in the direction it's been going, with probably not many changes other than the normal course of improvements already in the roadmap/pipeline.
    2. For some time, DDB has been working on its own VTT. WotC will continue this work, and I predict their DDB VTT will become available within 12-18 months. I predict this VTT will be cheaper than FGU Ultimate, maybe more in line with Standard, but will be a "lighter" VTT than FGU, with fewer features and less automation, but will be a comparable VTT that will have its own fans and adherents (and detractors) and will probably do some things better than FGU, some things not as well, and maybe have some features FGU doesn't and vice versa.
    3. WotC will continue working with Roll 20 and Smiteworks. Both of these, I think, have had good relationships with WotC that have been beneficial and profitable. I believe these relationships won't change.
    4. WotC will close the security loopholes in DDB that have allowed Foundry users to skim and share data from DDB.
    5. WotC will then work with Foundry to set up licensing agreements for Foundry content, on the understanding that Foundry make changes to control how WotC content is shared, to bring it more in line with how Roll20 and FGU work.

So I really only predict (and again, this is just me letting my imagination go) that DDB will gain a VTT. FGU and Roll 20 will be unaffected by WotC's acquisition of DDB, and it will have only a minimal effect on Foundry, in that it will set up licensing agreements more beneficial to WotC and more easily controlled.

That's just what I think.

I do think, though, that there's a SMALL chance, WotC might try to acquire a VTT and fold it into its current project to make a VTT, i.e. instead of continuing to build from scratch, they may prefer to buy out a current VTT. Out of the "Big 3" (Roll 20, Foundry or FGU), I would probably guess Foundry.

Thread Information