5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Well that's interesting, not unexpected though.

Blog Entries
    “Similarly, with more than 80% of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS fans having already played the game virtually in 2021, aided by online digital platforms such as D&D Beyond, this acquisition accelerates the game’s ability to penetrate new markets, gather valuable consumer insights and provide players with the best DUNGEONS & DRAGONS experience on all platforms.”

Seems that they are targeting VTT as well and Fantasy Grounds has the least (really no) integration with D&D Beyond.

Blog Entries
    Interesting is certainly correct. Lots of things might come from this, or very little. But I won't worry too much until their is reason

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Based on WotC's past efforts with tabletop-assist software, they've got a ways to go until they can rival FGU or one of the other VTTs out there.

However, I can see them developing or purchasing some kind of VTT to go with their release of D&D "5.5e" in 2024.

They could instantly capture a big chunk of the online-play market by offering a free or deeply discounted digital edition with every print book purchased (or vice-versa). That's one of the most common responses to posts on the various RPG boards I frequent, asking why D&D Beyond didn't offer discounts to people who already owned the hardcover books, "It's a different company." Now they won't have that excuse. But I think it's more likely that they'd try to revise their licensing system to limit competitors, while forcing their fans to continue double-purchasing or even do some kind of mandatory subscription to access their content.

I hope I'm wrong, since I see competition as one of the great things driving the game forward. I'm heavily invested in FGU and think it's a great piece of software, but I'm sure that this move is going to create some uncertainty about the future.

I like WotC, I despise Hasbro.

I can see this ending licensing to groups like FG, and making it so you have to come to them for VTT gaming. Don't think they will pull the licenses yet, but maybe not renew them when they are up...

Quote Originally Posted by DmHesh View Post
    I can see this ending licensing to groups like FG, and making it so you have to come to them for VTT gaming. Don't think they will pull the licenses yet, but maybe not renew them when they are up...
    Why? Having the sole source of D&D content in one VTT is not how you get more people to buy your product... Even assuming they get a VTT up (I'm not holding my breath) can you imagine how long it will take to be on par with the current platforms? Will the bulk of the VTT users want to be forced to use a limited platform just to have licensed content? Yeah, some people will, a lot won't. Having your product on the top platforms will get more profit than limiting it.
    Last edited by celestian; April 14th, 2022 at 07:15.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Supposedly there is already some map building, and VTT capabilities on D&D Beyond that have not been released. Ted at Nerd Immersion was mentioning it today after the announcement. You're right they could keep licensing their product to everyone, or force everyone to one table. Depends on Hasbro/WotC need for money, or to make you come to them and have all the market. Another scenario is they combine D&D Beyond and one of the existing VTT's together and cut out time and development then cut the others out. I personally think it will not happen till next version of D&D (5.5,6) what ever they want to call it, and make you have to use their content exclusively.

It's definitely a wait and see situation.
    I'm no businessman, but i just can't see WotC continuing to licence competitors once they have their own VTT. I hope I'm wrong.
    But what it will do is make me very hesitant to purchase any more source book material for FGU.

I also agree that nothing will happen before the next version release in 2024.

I don't think WotC will pull the plug to Fantasy Grounds or Roll20. As celestian said, it is not how you gain more customers and more income. But, we should not forget that WOTC are controlled by corporate people that look at Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations and financial forecasts based on various sources that none of us have access to. If there is even slight possibility and clear spike in the charts that income will be higher for the stakeholders in the next quarter or two, they plug immediately.

Nobody cares for the hobby and what the people really want. If something was clearly demonstrated by Apple and the whole consumer mentality - people will adjust, you need to take care for the masses. The other are minority, even if vocal - they don't care.

On the good side - Paizo has momentum, it seems PF2 is doing quite well and with the new announcement for partnership with Foundry, it will further rock the boat in a good way I hope.
    Last edited by Valyar; April 14th, 2022 at 08:33.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Thread Information