STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Best starting adventures to introduce 2E

Hello, forever GM here. I have a group currently playing 5e campaign. yet I think they would much more enjoy 2e...and I would enjoy running it more. I would like to run a short adventure/campaign for them to introduce rules and game to them. I was wondering what you would recommend for "starter" adventures. If possible would be nice if it transitions to a longer adventure path, but not necessary. I tried searching forums and couldnt find a great answer thus far...though maybe I missed it.

I started recently playing it and started with the Little Trouble in Big Absalom adventure for learning the game and how it works in Fantasy Grounds which seemed to work well. Some of the spells need readded if they play the casters; some of the effects were not up to date on the pregens when I ran it. Also the badger in the second section is really tough for the characters

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...ZOSMWPZO9500FG

Oops wrong system sorry!
    Last edited by bayne7400; April 4th, 2022 at 19:28. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by bayne7400 View Post
    B11 Kings Festival is a good easy intro for all.
    The OP's question is regarding Pathfinder Second edition adventures.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'd say the Pathfinder Beginner Box: https://paizo.com/pathfinder/beginnerbox

Unfortunately we've had a lot of issues getting this converted to FG. I'm hoping it will be out in the next 4-6 weeks (maybe earlier), but that may be too late for you. If you buy the beginner box PDFs on Paizo then you'll get the cost of the PDFs discounted from the FG purchase when it's in the store.

With the PDFs you can extract the two maps needed, plus any images you might want. Then you could use the Bestiary for the majority of the creatures (or enter them yourself). This would allow you to get going before the FG conversion is available.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Another option is to run any of the four "one-shot" adventures. These are a pretty cheap buy-in to test the waters for your group. While they use the standard rules and not the beginner box rules, the reason why these might be good is due to them having pregenerated characters. This will allow your group to jump right into actually playing the game without having to learn how to build characters. Then if they get hooked, you can move forward with other (and longer) single modules, such as Fall of Plaguestone (for 1st level characters) or go into any of the adventure paths. Some of the latter adventure paths start at higher levels, but the earlier ones, such as Age of Ashes and Extinction Curse, both start at 1st level.

Of course, if you can wait, then going with Trenloe's advice is good. The beginner box will introduce the system without all the rules (it will simplify them). It has an adventure you can run for 1st level characters. Then, you can get the module "Troubles in Otari". That one will continue the adventure that was in the beginner box and take the characters up to 4th level. At 4th level, then the group moves from beginner box rules to the standard rules. It is supposed to be a fairly easy transition as they are *mostly* the same with just some simplifications.
    Developer for lots of adventures, particularly 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, and Pathfinder 2E

Timezone: US Eastern Time
    Ultimate License Holder

Fall of Plaguestone works pretty well.
    And the Abomination Vaults adventure path is 3 books that goes to level 11. It is a straight dungeon crawl with a town full of intrigue and optional quests.

I was thinking the starting box, I do have time to wait for it to be done in FG so thats not a worry. After hearing the replies and some of my own research. I was thinking of running beginner box into Troubles in Otari with pre-made characters. Then considered starting new characters and running abomination vaults. Seem like a reasonable flow?

Which rules in the beginner box are omitted compared to the "full" rules? could I just run the beginner box with the "full" ruleset? or is it not designed in that manner? Overall Im really excited to attempt to switch group to PF2e from 5e. I've heard nothing but awesome things about Paizo made campaigns/adventures. and the 3 action system just seems to open so many more options without weighing it down

Quote Originally Posted by OGvarus View Post
    I was thinking the starting box, I do have time to wait for it to be done in FG so thats not a worry. After hearing the replies and some of my own research. I was thinking of running beginner box into Troubles in Otari with pre-made characters. Then considered starting new characters and running abomination vaults. Seem like a reasonable flow?
    Yep, sounds perfect!

Which rules in the beginner box are omitted compared to the "full" rules? could I just run the beginner box with the "full" ruleset? or is it not designed in that manner?
    The main differences are in character generation - there's less options and the abilities are more hard coded than in the full rules. There's also some conditions not listed, but when the equivalent comes up in the adventure the details are given, rather than naming the condition itself - for example, a creature has an ability that would give the sickened 1 condition in the full rules, but sickened isn't detailed in the beginner box, so the creature basically has the end result of sickened 1 in their ability description.

could I just run the beginner box with the "full" ruleset?
    Yes, it's pretty much designed that way. The only difference is whether you create a PC with a beginner box ancestry (which will set it as beginner box until you decide to change it when prompted at leveling up) or with a non-beginner box ancestry - this will determine if you use the core rules ABCD steps or the streamlined beginner box steps.

I've run 3 new groups through Fall of Plaguestone and they now all play PF2e.
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett [RIP] - Jingo

Thread Information