5E Character Create Playlist
Page 19 of 24 First ... 91718192021 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    I can look at it if Moon’s fix doesn’t resolve the issue. Thanks, JPG!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I'm not the developer for this product, but I just pushed through a hot fix that I believe addresses this issue. Can you please run a new Check for Updates (if you're the GM) or have the GM run a new Check for Updates; and try again?

Thanks,
    JPG
    Thanks, that worked!

I wanna try A5E by running Memories of Holdenshire as a stand-alone adventure. The blurb for it says “You don’t even need the core rulebook to run it!”

But that’s just a copy/paste from the adventure blurb, right? I’d still need to buy the Level Up Adventurer’s Guide in FGU?

Quote Originally Posted by Basiliv View Post
    I wanna try A5E by running Memories of Holdenshire as a stand-alone adventure. The blurb for it says “You don’t even need the core rulebook to run it!”

But that’s just a copy/paste from the adventure blurb, right? I’d still need to buy the Level Up Adventurer’s Guide in FGU?
    There is this text at the beginning of the adventure (page 5 of my soft cover printed book copy, 4th page of the FG Reference module, About the Adventure heading):
    "To run this adventure you should have a general understanding and familiarity with 5E, but you do not need any other Level Up books or content—it introduces the innovations of Level Up and every mechanic, item, and monster unique to Level Up is presented in full and is usable with only 5E experience."

That statement is true for the most part. It does have a number of sidebar callouts throughout the adventure content that describe some of the base mechanics and concepts of A5e as they are encountered in the adventure. There is a good-sized appendix that describes how to run Level Up journeys from the adventure, travel and exploration challenges with region descriptions and associated tables. Another appendix gives a preview of the Level Up Monstrous Menagerie book, with A5e style stat blocks for most if not all of the monsters and NPCs that can be faced in the adventure.

What the adventure module does not have is detailed information for Level Up character creation using the new or modified A5e classes and associated subclasses, and backgrounds, heritages, cultures, destinies, etc.

So, if you want to run the adventure in Fantasy Grounds without having the Level Up Adventurer's Guide module and extension, you would be expected to create a 5e campaign and use characters created with the 5e ruleset. If you just want to get an idea of how Level Up A5e functions compared to original 5e, the Holdenshire adventure is a pretty good introduction. But if you are really more interested in how Level Up A5e will work or run in Fantasy Grounds, then I would very strongly suggest you go in for the Adventurer's Guide FGU module/extension.

The Level Up Adventurer's Guide module and extension have the A5e tools embedded into the FGU interface, such as the Expertise die mods, Effects and Conditions, as well as all of the A5e Spells, and Items, and Combat Maneuvers (accessed from the 'Feats' button). And you can create an A5e character sheet containing all of the A5e character features (see Zacchaeus's video linked in the first post of this thread).

If you do decide to get the FGU Level Up mod, I would also recommend getting Robyn Nix and Rob Twohy's 5E Effects Coding - Level Up - Advanced 5E - Spells mod out of the FG Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/563/view). It has automation built in for practically all of the 500+ spells in the book. A super time saver.

Ah, thanks so much for spelling all that out!

I am having issues where skills are not parsing correctly for some heritages and cultures. For a specific example to test, try adding Imperial culture to anything. This seems to be pervasive throughout the heritages and cultures. May want to check classes as well. (Yes, the extension is loaded.)

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the report; I'm actually getting an error when trying to add that culture. Is this what's happening to you as well?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the report; I'm actually getting an error when trying to add that culture. Is this what's happening to you as well?
    Yes, amongst other things. Unfortunately, I did not manage to get into things beyond character creation. My first impression leads me to believe that the fantasy grounds version is not ready for actual gameplay use, which is disappointing. I really wanted to use this system.

Quote Originally Posted by cthorazine View Post
    Yes, amongst other things. Unfortunately, I did not manage to get into things beyond character creation. My first impression leads me to believe that the fantasy grounds version is not ready for actual gameplay use, which is disappointing. I really wanted to use this system.
    It is ready and has been in use for some time. It looks like a recent update to the ruleset has caused an unexpected error in the extension. I’m sure my colleague who wrote the extension will be able to fix it shortly.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I’ll check it out. Everything has been working, not sure what changed, but perhaps one of the recent 5E updates disrupted something. I wouldn’t give up on it yet, we’ll get it fixed

Thread Information