STAR TREK 2d20

Getting Button to Run LUA

So I am still learning and playing and I wanted to make a calculation of one field affect another. I used onValue change for strength_value. This works PERFECTLY.

function onValueChanged()
    local sPwr = getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("pwr_value" ).getValue()
    local sStr = getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("strength_v alue").getValue()

-- strength_value sStr
    if sStr >= 1 and sStr <= 3 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-4 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 4 and sStr <= 5 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-3 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 6 and sStr <= 7 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-2 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 8 and sStr <= 9 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-1 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 10 and sStr <= 11 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(0 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 12 and sStr <= 13 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(1 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 14 and sStr <= 15 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(2 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 16 and sStr <= 17 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(3 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 18 and sStr <= 19 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(4 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 20 and sStr <= 21 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(5 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 22 and sStr <= 23 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(6 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 24 and sStr <= 25 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(7 + sPwr)
    end

end

However, if I run the same code on the same page and run it from a button (+-) in pic Capture.JPG I get an error that says "[3/26/2024 6:16:08 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "C:charsheet_main:update_stat"]:3: attempt to index a nil value". I have tried to research this with no answer. Idea?

function onButtonPress()

local sStr = getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("strength_v alue").getValue()

-- strength_value sStr
    if sStr >= 1 and sStr <= 3 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-4 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 4 and sStr <= 5 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-3 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 6 and sStr <= 7 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-2 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 8 and sStr <= 9 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-1 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 10 and sStr <= 11 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(0 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 12 and sStr <= 13 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(1 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 14 and sStr <= 15 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(2 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 16 and sStr <= 17 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(3 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 18 and sStr <= 19 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(4 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 20 and sStr <= 21 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(5 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 22 and sStr <= 23 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(6 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr >= 24 and sStr <= 25 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(7 + sPwr)
    end

end

ignore the space between the v and a in "strength_value". I am not sure why it is showing up that way.
    Last edited by augustgames; March 27th, 2024 at 02:21. Reason: clarify
    Daniel A George

Assuming the code you list is the whole <script> code for the button, then the error is being caused at line 3 - probably because getDatabaseNode() doesn't return a valid database node.

How is the button control defined? Is it a buttonfield or a buttoncontrol ?

getDatabaseNode will only work for a buttonfield control as that is bound to a databasenode, whereas buttoncontrol is not bound.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Got it!

It worked

<buttonfield name="button_stats">
    <bounds>83,41,19,25</bounds>
    <allowdoubleclick />
    <icon normal="button_action_effect" />
    <script>
    function onDoubleClick(x, y)

-- strength_value sStr
    if sStr &gt;= 1 and sStr &lt;= 3 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-4 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 4 and sStr &lt;= 5 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-3 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 6 and sStr &lt;= 7 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-2 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 8 and sStr &lt;= 9 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(-1 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 10 and sStr &lt;= 11 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(0 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 12 and sStr &lt;= 13 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(1 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 14 and sStr &lt;= 15 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(2 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 16 and sStr &lt;= 17 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(3 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 18 and sStr &lt;= 19 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(4 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 20 and sStr &lt;= 21 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(5 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 22 and sStr &lt;= 23 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(6 + sPwr)
    elseif sStr &gt;= 24 and sStr &lt;= 25 then getDatabaseNode().getParent().getChild("str_mod"). setValue(7 + sPwr)
    end

end

</script>
    </buttonfield>

Thank you!
    Last edited by augustgames; March 27th, 2024 at 16:19. Reason: Clarifation
    Daniel A George

The issue is that you are using a control. Controls are not connected to the database like a field would be. In your code, you are navigating to the str_mod by the database with getDatabaseNode() on the original control that does appear to be a field connected to the databaase. So for controls you would need to find a field/window to pull the database data to locate what you are trying to get.

Example
    function onButtonPress()
    local nodeChar = window.getDatabaseNode(); -- this gives you the parent window's node
    local sPwr = DB.getValue(nodeChar, "pwr_value", "");
    local sStr = DB.getValue(nodeChar, "strength_value", "");

local nMod = 0;
    if sStr &gt;= 1 and sStr &lt;= 3 then
    nMod = -4 + sPwr;
    end

DB.setValue(nodeChar, "str_mod", "number", nMod);
    end
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    The issue is that you are using a control. Controls are not connected to the database like a field would be.
    As mentioned above...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you so much Trenloe. I appreciate your efforts here. I am having a blast getting under the hood of Fantasy Grounds.
    Daniel A George

Quote Originally Posted by augustgames View Post
    Thank you so much Trenloe. I appreciate your efforts here. I am having a blast getting under the hood of Fantasy Grounds.
    You're very welcome. Glad we sorted this one out and also that you're enjoying discovering the mysteries of FG coding...

Thread Information