5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last

Chat Aesthetics Configurator

CHAT AESTHETICS CONFIGURATOR (v0.9)

Link on FORGE (free): https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/523/view

IMPORTANT: Please delete the non-forge versions of the extension... I've renamed it, made a bunch of changes, an dwill only use forge for distribution. You don't want old version and variations in your extension folder... bad things happen. Ooooh. HOWEVER, if you have customized YOUR version, be sure to rename it something else or it will get clobbered when you update.

INTRODUCTION

Okay, so what does it do? Well, the Chat Aesthetics Configurator replaces some of the standard icons in the chat window with a set of icons I've designed to match many of the other images I've used in other extensions. Further, it replaces some of the fonts and their styles. For me, these align with my aesthetic sensibilities. If they don't align with yours, no worries... just swap out whatever you'd like.

What does this mean? Well, when there is a "hit"... the players will see a fancy "hit" icon with text colors to match. Same for "miss" or "crit" or several other actions and effects. Further, this adds a "GM" icon to align with the look and feel of the rest of the chat icons.

If you want to get that "whole suite" feel, this extension pairs nicely with MATTEKURE's "Fantasy Grounds 5E Indicators", Mad Nomad's "Mad Nomad's Interactive Portraits", and SirMotte's "Magnificent Darkness - Hearth Edition" theme, among others.

INSTRUCTIONS

By default, just enable it and it should work out of the box. Go into options under "Chat Aesthetics Configurator" and select both the font theme and icon theme you want to use. Over time I will roll more themes into the extension. Right now it includes:

Icon Themes

• Off - uses the standard icons
    • Simple - uses enhanced icons with no containers
    • Hex - uses enhanced icons with a hex container
    • Round - uses enhanced icons with a round container
    • Square - uses enhanced icons with a square container

Font Themes

• Off - uses the default fonts
    • Hearth - optimized for the "hearth" theme
    • Light - for use on dark themes
    • Dark - for use on light themes

GM Icon

• Sorry - you are stuck with the default for now... these aren't wired up to the options panel yet.
    • If you are adventurous, reverse engineer the extension and point to what you want to use.

For advanced users: To change any of the above with your own styles and icons, rename the extension to "Chat Aesthetics Configurator.zip" and unzip it. Edite the files and swap the icons to your heart's content. Zip it back up, rename it so whatever you want -- if not, it will get overwritten the next time Forge updates.

ATTRIBUTION

First, a shout out to VALEROS for his original extension, "Chat Window - Attack Rolls - Big Icons, Fonts, and Color - Great for TV use" as found in the Fantasy Grounds Forum. Next, a thank you to MATTEKURE for his evolution of the extension and guidance. Finally, SirMotte for his patience and support. For my part, All I did was do a bit of simplification, code clean-up, and then introduce a bit of flexibility around theming things.

CHANGES

• v0.1-0.7 - These were a train-wreck... good thing you didn't have to deal with them.
    • v0.8 - Basic functionality.
    • v0.9 - Introduces new themes, new font styles, and the ability to choose font and icon themes in the options panel.

ISSUES AND OPPORTUNITIES

• Themes do not change all icons yet.
    • Some font settings don't seem to fire.
    • Using this extension MAY change some of the icons in on the "action" tab... specifically, the "Spells" icon.
    • I am sure there are other issues.
    Last edited by Drowbe; March 6th, 2022 at 22:07.

Glad to see this taking off. I really like the clean look to the icons and I am really looking forward to seeing more in action. Many people have seen my screenshots in posts and asked me where I got them from. I pointed them to the other thread but it was complicated. Now this is a better place! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nephranka View Post
    Glad to see this taking off. I really like the clean look to the icons and I am really looking forward to seeing more in action. Many people have seen my screenshots in posts and asked me where I got them from. I pointed them to the other thread but it was complicated. Now this is a better place! Thanks!
    So happy to hear that. I am working on extending the set of icons as well as some alternate themes... but it is such a pain to manually have to configure which theme you want to use. I decided to go with the clean icons over the hex icons this time... if anyone has a preference as to what should be "default" I am all ears.

--Thomas

I personally think the hex icons look best. Great job!

I guess it would have helped if I clicked "list" on Forge so people could actually get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowbe View Post
    I guess it would have helped if I clicked "list" on Forge so people could actually get it.
    I am kinda thinking the same. I am going to play this week with the simple one and see how it goes... I may just be burnt out on my own designs and need to work up some new ones.

Sure wish I could figure out coding switching themes.

I have an idea for a work-around for the theme selector. Perhaps I just bundle an extension for each theme and you then enable the one you want to use. This would be easier for now than you having to unbundle the extension and editing the xml. I am thinking something like:

Chat Aesthetics Configurator - Simple.ext
    Chat Aesthetics Configurator - Hex.ext
    Chat Aesthetics Configurator - Small.ext
    etc.

While I don't want to blast the extension list, I think this may be better... especially since I don't see the theme selector working any time soon.

--Thomas

I've managed to replace the "roll effects" icon... so progress. I've also got choosing font colors in the options panel figured out. I need to do some more tweaking, but I should upload a new version to forge this weekend.

If anyone has some good color sets for fonts, send them to me and I may work them in as an option.

Uploaded a new version to Forge... major update with lots of goodies. See the first post for details.

--Thomas

Hi,

I like this extension a lot.

One minor thing: it looks like you may have listed the default value for the two options also as option choices, which means they appear twice as one cycles through the list. The default option should not also be present in the list of labels and values when defining the options. The default one gets added automatically to the list.

For example, the "Hearth" font theme is in the options twice (you have to click it twice to get to the next item) and "Simple" in the Icon Theme appears twice as well.

(I coincidentally ran into this on one of my own extensions this weekend, so the details or how to fix it are still fresh on my mind.)

Cheers,
    Brian

Thread Information