DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Just adding that most of us PF1e folks are real nice and helpful - with a lot of experience with PF1 on FGU. So feel free to ask any questions here or on Discord. Welcome to FGU!
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Apologies for the thread necromancy here, but wanted to follow up on a few things in case someone else ends up finding this in their own searches.

So, updates:

1. My group has so far not been huge on PF1e, which is fine, we can worry about it later. They're more keen on getting back to our D&D 5e game...

2. ...Which we'll be doing on FGU! I bit the bullet, got the lifetime sub, and the core books bundle.

Based on my initial observations, the "automation" I was concerned about is handled a bit better in the 5e stuff than I found in Pathfinder. I've also learned a bit more about FGU and realized that "automation" isn't really the right phrase to use. What the 5e stuff does which I hadn't found to be the case in the PF1e stuff was that it does a lot of the front-end housekeeping of setting up effects and dice rolls and such for you.

To put in a clearer way, for anyone wondering about the FGU system who finds this thread later, if you have a spell, the PF1e materials at a baseline describe what the spell does just fine. But in a sense, that's not a lot better than what you already have in a hardcopy book. If you click "Cast Spell XYZ" on the character sheet, it'll say "Cast Spell XYZ" in the chat....and that's it. That's because, out of the box, a lot of the dice rolls and effects aren't set up. You either have to do that yourself, or you need to download a module or extension that does it for you. Fortunately, PF1e has some free modules and extensions that do just that.

BUT

It's really worth learning what the effects do and how to set this stuff up yourself because chances are you'll come up against a situation where you'll want to have that knowledge. Say, if you want to create a custom spell, or if you come across some section of the game where there's another "blind spot" about what rolls are set up.

By contrast, I've found that the 5e core bundle materials do already have a lot of this legwork done for you already, which is nice and feels like I'm getting my money's worth.

Where the "automation" discussion goes awry is that both PF1e and 5e have "automation" in them. But "automation" in this sense is the internal coding so that the software knows if you set up an effect to be "AC:3; [SELF]" that it will bump your AC up by 3. But for that to be "automated" the way I meant it, means that those actions have to be part of the spell's description so that dragging and dropping a spell into a character's Actions tab will set that up so that when you click "Cast Mage Armor" it'll add the AC:3 effect to the appropriate target (self or other). The baseline coding is there for PF1e's books, but the drag-n-drop spell stuff isn't. There are, instead, free modules/extensions that do all that.

By contrast 5e's books have a lot more of that stuff set up, from what I'm seeing so far. Even so, it's helpful to figure out how to do this stuff oneself if only to have a better understanding of how the software works.

Anyway, hope that helps whoever comes across this in the future. I, for one, am happy so far with my 5e purchase, and with the support I've gotten both in PF1e and 5e from the community here.

I believe that someone has mentioned that WotC has consistently used the same language over and over again throughout all their products, so it is MUCH easier to plan automation for all their abilities. Also, I don't believe PFe1 has a ruleset developer atm. So, nothing is being changed or edited at the moment for the ruleset as a whole. So basically, all we have is extensions that make our lives generally better.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixation View Post
    I believe that someone has mentioned that WotC has consistently used the same language over and over again throughout all their products, so it is MUCH easier to plan automation for all their abilities. Also, I don't believe PFe1 has a ruleset developer atm. So, nothing is being changed or edited at the moment for the ruleset as a whole. So basically, all we have is extensions that make our lives generally better.
    To be fair, it's less that 5E has better language and more that the game generally has abilities that follow specific patterns. 3.5E (and by extension, PFRPG) just has a LOT going on and it's all based on exceptions to other rules (which is very hard to code for completely). The language is also more consistent, but the complexity of the rules is the primary factor.
    There are still improvements being released for 3.5E and PFRPG. In addition, extensions with simple/straightforward solutions are sometimes integrated into rulesets (assuming their authors have not made license decisions that block SmiteWorks from using it).
    A community dev stepping up to help improve PFRPG and 3.5E would be pretty awesome, but it's been quite a while and nobody has.
    Last edited by bmos; March 29th, 2022 at 12:02.

As Someone that grew up playing 1st ed - 3.5 D&D TT and has gotten back in since Covid, We started in 5E, did a lot of the paid for extensions and mods and it ran reasonably smooth (but you MUST read and learn what mods to use). Our group preferred 3.5 rules and tried that and found the FGU ruleset/modding not what we were used to in 5E. then the PF humble bundle came out and I had to buy it. the PF1e IMO has just as much modding capabilities as I as an end user can see. with the fantastic ext/mods available almost exclusively for free, I am actually happier in PF than in 5e automation space. admittedly I enjoy basic coding, and I have spent a lot of time learning it how the PF coding works (BEFORE effect builder lol now its even easier).

looking at my 5e character sheet and my converted PF1e character, the PF one actually is coded better, has less buttons that need click, but perhaps is missing a few polished points or QoL items. Over all I am super excited to finally switch to PF1e and am constantly watching for new and updated mods/ext.

Thread Information