STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Hazards and how to use them

I am trying to incorporate some of the hazards that have automation in them into my campaign but none of them seem to work. I have even gone so far as to create a test campaign with just the CRB and some APs open. I have no extensions loaded and have verified that there are stray directories in my rulesets/extensions/modules folders.

I have added one PC to the combat tracker and tried various Hazards from "Quest for the Frozen Flame AP1" and "Malevolence" (since it was mentioned in another thread about Hazards). I target the PC with the Hazard, open up the Hazard and click the automation button, but nothing happens. I have also opened up the console and am seeing nothing there either. I have also verified

Am I doing something wrong here or is something just not working properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Stargrove View Post
    I target the PC with the Hazard, open up the Hazard and click the automation button, but nothing happens.
    Some examples please.

And remember that the Apply All Effects button is done after saves are rolled - it's not an automation button in itself. You need to trigger the actions from the text (if any actions have been setup).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry it took me a LONG time to get back to this. For my current campaign I am trying to use the Sand Whirlwind (from Fists of the Ruby Phoenix) hazard. When the hazard is in the combat tracker where nothing shows up that is usable. There are some Reaction entries in the hazard but I am unsure how to use them. I can get the player to auto roll the save by clicking that one of the save itself but can't apply items if they fail the save.
    Last edited by Stargrove; August 19th, 2022 at 04:18.

Hazards don't show automation in the combat tracker - you trigger the actions by opening the hazard record from the combat tracker and double-clicking the actions highlighted between the square brackets.

Looking at the Sand Whirlwind, no automation effects have been coded to be tied to a save result, so you need to apply the blinded conditions as needed.

So, for the Sand Vacuum - select targets and double click on [DC 39 fortitude save] and then apply either the [blinded for 1 round] or [blinded for 1 minute] conditions if any targets fail or critically fail their saves.

Same for the violent wind Routine - double click on [DC 34 basic reflex save] and the double click on [6d10+30 bludgeoning damage] to apply damage (the result of the save will apply to this) and then apply [blinded] to any target that critically fails the save.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ok, I was able to get the effects to apply properly for Sand Whirlwind based on the save rolls (took a lot of trial and error) when pressing the apply all effects button by updating the Reactions Auto field to the following:

Code:
    "DC 39 Fortitude save"|Save: Fortitude[DC:39]
    "blinded for 1 round"|Effect: Blinded[FAILURE][D:1]
    "blinded for 1 minute"|Effect: Blinded[CRITFAILURE][D:10]
    I also go the Routine piece working as well:

Code:
    "DC 34 basic Reflex save"|Save: Reflex[DC:34][BASIC]
    "6d10+30 bludgeoning damage"|Damage: 6d10+30 bludgeoning
    "blinded"|Effect: Blinded[D:1][FAILURE]
    "blinded"|Effect: Blinded[D:10][CRITFAILURE]

I have noticed that most of the hazards that I have looked through do not have any of the stuff in there that help them work properly. They don't all need it, but the ones that should have it seem to be missing it.

[Moved the above post to this thread - it was posted in an unrelated thread]

Glad you got it working. It is up to the individual product converter as to whether they hand code automation in NPCs or Hazards. The automation for hazards also came out after the NPC automation and would need converters to go back through and update the previously released products. I know that doesn't help specifically, but it is to give you some background on why there may not be automation present for all hazards.

One more question...

In the hazard Wronged Monk's Wrath (Fists of the Ruby Phoenix AP1) under Ki Storm shows:

Code:
    Ki Storm 
    Trigger A creature enters the prayer room.
    Effect The abbot's spirit appears and begins to channel powerful ki energy. One round later, the room fills with a powerful kinetic storm, dealing [3d10+15 electricity damage] and 3d10+15 force damage to all creatures in the room. Creatures in the room must attempt a [DC 37 Reflex save].
    > Critical Success: The creature is unaffected.
    > Success: The creature takes half damage.
    > Failure: The creature takes full damage and becomes [deafened for 1 round].
    > Critical Failure: The creature takes full damage, [2d8 persistent electricity damage], and becomes [deafened for 1 minute].
    It allows me to click on the 3d10+15 electricity damage but I cannot click on the 3d10+15 force damage. I have tried enclosing it in square brackets like this: [3d10+15 force damage] and have tried combining them like this: [3d10+15 electricity, 3d10+15 force damage] but have not had any luck making the second damage usable.

EDIT:
    I also just tried adding the work plus or an actual + and noticed extra brackets getting added to the wording.
    Last edited by Stargrove; August 19th, 2022 at 18:49.

What is the automation entry you've setup for that ability?

And, double checking, you're referring to the NPC Automation Wiki page? https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ity+Automation

And ShadeRaven's posted lots of examples in the Google sheet linked here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...and-Automation

~~LIGHTBULB MOMENT~~

When you asked
    What is the automation entry you've setup for that ability?
    it clicked that the damage also needs to be listed in the Automation part as well. So here is what I did:

Reactions(A)
    Code:
    Ki Storm [[R]]
    Trigger A creature enters the prayer room.
    Effect The abbot's spirit appears and begins to channel powerful ki energy. One round later, the room fills with a powerful kinetic storm, dealing [3d10+15 electricity damage] and [3d10+15 force damage] and  to all creatures in the room. Creatures in the room must attempt a [DC 37 Reflex save].
    > Critical Success: The creature is unaffected.
    > Success: The creature takes half damage.
    > Failure: The creature takes full damage and becomes [deafened for 1 round].
    > Critical Failure: The creature takes full damage, [2d8 persistent electricity damage], and becomes [deafened for 1 minute].
    Reactions Auto.
    Code:
    "DC 37 Reflex save"|Save: Reflex[DC:37][BASIC]
    "3d10+15 electricity damage"|Damage: 3d10+15 electricity|
    "3d10+15 force damage"|Damage: 3d10+15 force|
    "deafened for 1 round"|Effect: Deafened[D:1][FAILURE]

The above allows me to roll the damage separately, but is there a away to code it all so the damage rolls at the same time?

PS: I have used ShadeRaven's automation stuff for NPC's a lot, but this flow of this is a bit different.

Thread Information