FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    I don't know how to describe the type of effect I'm talking about, but is there a separate page for effects that are placed "behind the scenes?" The kind that have the hashtags in font of them and determine things like how recoil is calculated, or other "universal" statuses/effects? Off the top of my head I can think of the following:

* #Dark
    * #Dim
    * #Illumination
    * #Recoil
    * Unarmeddefender
    * Whatever the one is for encumbrance

Basically the list of effects that are central to the rule system. Not sure what the right term is, or even if I spelled the ones in the list above correctly. Would be nice to know which ones there are and whether or not the modifiers work with them.

All of the ones you mentioned are listed in Effects or Modifiers. There is no reason to duplicate that list (which is freely accessible from within FGU) on the Wiki.

I will, however, admit that the section could be clearer and could probably be reworded or extended - it does not spell out that Modifiers can be referenced as well nor is it immediately clear how it works (for example, "Cover, Light" becomes "#LightCover"). I might try to come up with something once I have fully understood how the system parses the names.

Updated:
    Included Wounds Threshold Table
    Included "Attributes and linked Skills"
    Included effect naming scheme

Updated:
    Removed all sections that have been transferred to the Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
    All of the ones you mentioned are listed in Effects or Modifiers. There is no reason to duplicate that list (which is freely accessible from within FGU) on the Wiki.

I will, however, admit that the section could be clearer and could probably be reworded or extended - it does not spell out that Modifiers can be referenced as well nor is it immediately clear how it works (for example, "Cover, Light" becomes "#LightCover"). I might try to come up with something once I have fully understood how the system parses the names.
    Here's a quote from Ikael:
    When adding own effects you should know about this small rule: If effect has comma in its name, then the part before comma is considered effect type and part after the comma is effect qualifier. For instance Cover, Heavy -- it is Cover effect and Heavy is qualifier. This is useful when writing Ignore effects like Ignore #Cover
    In Ignore effects, you can either match full effect like Ignore #HeavyCover or more general one like Ignore #Cover which would apply to any kind of cover.
    If you register effects via extension you can define more rules for them that you cannot define in FG UI. For instance, all Illumination effects are defined to be unique meaning that you can also match to their effect qualifier. There are three Illumination effects: Illumination, Dim, Illumination, Dark and Illumination, Pitch Darkness. Because they are registered to be unique then you can match them by just their qualifier ie. Dim, Dark and Pitch Darkness. For instance in Low Light Vision there is effect [Ignore #Dim #Dark]
    Note that Cover is not registered as unique because its qualifiers are not that unique (Heavy, Medium, Light)
    Last edited by Mike Serfass; March 16th, 2022 at 01:16.

Appreciate the detective work! Updated the post using Ikael's terminology.

Oh, snap. I didn't even catch those in there. I really did read that page I promise!

Okay! This actually makes me feel a bit better about missing some of that stuff. I have a tendency to think in ordered, hierarchical structures, so I was thinking that if they weren't in a table or list then they weren't ALL there. My assumption was that they'd be listed, but on a closer look, I see that they are built into the discussions of *other* effects.

My bad.

I'm actually against stickying this thread.
    The first step should always be to check the effects page and Derek is fairly quick to update it with stuff we find and notify him about.
    I agree but right now as expected, there is already two more threads on the same topic running. It would be helpful in any good stuff that gets posted, gets dropped into one thread right here. That way Derek only has to look in one place to update wiki.
    Eventally people will run out of new stuff and the wiki will be done. At that point we can always unsticky and let this die gracefully.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; March 17th, 2022 at 13:27.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

If we run out of stuff, Ikael will add new, cool effects, and we'll start another thread or three.
    If we have a sticky effect thread, we can point people to the wiki and the sticky thread when they post questions.
    Code:
    [Sticky> +3]

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Awesome initiative!
    He got a Joker!

Thread Information