STAR TREK 2d20

Thread: Bonus Spells?

Bonus Spells?

Someone in our group referenced in the PHB (5e) that if you cast a spell as a bonus action you are limited to only casting cantrips after that, is this true? If so could you cast a regular spell, then a bonus spell, because you didn't cast the bonus spell first?

Been away from my books for a while so don't know how it is exactly worded?

In 5E, the rules for casting spells in both action and bonus action are that if you cast a leveled spell (levels 1-9 or whatever for your class) as an action or a bonus action; then you can only cast a cantrip for the other part (action/bonus action). So if you cast Healing word as a bonus action, you can only cast a cantrip for you action say Sacred Flame.

Ok was reading an article where they were casting Misty Step and then casting witch bolt, I thought they were wrong but wanted to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpeichorn View Post
    Ok was reading an article where they were casting Misty Step and then casting witch bolt, I thought they were wrong but wanted to make sure.
    By default this scenerio is not right by RAW but a group might have changed that ruling.

Now, if they had cast Witch Bolt on a different turn and were just using their action for the continuing action of Witch Bolt; while casting Misty Step that round. That is a legal setup of being able to cast in 5E (since the attack of Witch Bolt is just a continuation of a previous cast spell which you have concentration on).

Thread Information