STAR TREK 2d20

How do you set range for ship combat in Traveller?

I have Fantasy Grounds Traveller (Mongoose 2E) and I'm in the ship combat tracker. It says the range between ships is "long", but I can't find any place to actually set the range. How do you set the range?

Blog Entries
    MOD: moved to Traveller sub-forum for better visibility.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by VonKyrin View Post
    I have Fantasy Grounds Traveller (Mongoose 2E) and I'm in the ship combat tracker. It says the range between ships is "long", but I can't find any place to actually set the range. How do you set the range?
    Can you give a screenshot of what you are looking at in the ship combat tracker? I'm not able to locate the control you are speaking about.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

I was getting confused by the ranges of the weapon thinking perhaps that was a way to set the range. It does seem to at least understand the max range of ship weapons. But it doesn't seem to have a way to actually know what the range between ships is. Or especially, to track range. Or to spend thrust points.

Also, the Gunner seems to be the only crew member able to affect combat. None of the Pilot's rolls, for example, seem to be part of the FG implementation. For example, the pilot's "Evasive Action" would be the easiest to implement, but there's not concept of spending Thrust points on range, let alone other actions. Likewise for all the enemies; there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust for the various rolls they can make during combat with the attack roll, for instance, being hardwired in. Is this just something that I'm missing?
    Last edited by VonKyrin; September 16th, 2023 at 21:34.

And it doesn't seem to have any concept of the ship's having armor. The best way to deal with this that I've found so far is to tell it to apply the armor reduction manually (if I notice that it wasn't applied and don't forget to apply it manually).

If things are missing from the ruleset, then those features are not implemented and expanded upon. Others may pop into here to comment to give more specific answers, but I'm not able to locate the things you mentioned in your response and thusly aren't available within the ruleset at this time. I'll keep poking through the code to see if I may be missing it, but with my testing those things mentioned are not be available.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

I have no solution for the automatic calculation, however, I've imported this: https://www.reddit.com/r/traveller/c...ether_to_help/. There I move the Tokens accordingly to distance and can show directions things are moving exactly enough to illustrate the PC's ship (usually in the center) chasing another ship which is fleeing towards a planet, while another ship comes up from behind the Travellers in pursuit. :-) It also lists all the relevant rules.

Thread Information