DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Secrets of the Ancients vs Secrets of the Ancients(?)

I have a copy of a book called 'Secrets of the Ancients' published by Mongoose back in 2012 with "The Third Imperium" emblazoned across the top of the cover and a couple of Droyne and a city in the distance. I also see that there is a book currently on the Mongoose site that is also a book called 'Secrets of the Ancients' that is currently for sale with just "Traveller" emblazoned across the top and a close up of an eye below it wrapped in green reptilian-looking skin around it with a purple explosion in the middle of the eye.

Are these books different in any way or is the one currently for sale just a repackaging of the one I already have?

Thanks

The one you have as a heard copy is Mongoose Traveller 1e and the one in the store here is Mongoose Traveller 2e. Besides the obvious differences in the core systems there is a difference in the adventure itself.

The new 2E version is about 25% larger by page count 256 vs 202. They had one of their developers go through and rewrite, reorganize and update it to the current system. The maps and art have been improved. Deep down the story is basically the same but it seems better presented.

The classic version, the free version, the 1E publication are like drafts and this looks closer to a finished project.

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the book and have been looking over the PDF. It is a much better layout and has color, which is nice.

Secrets of the Ancients is one of my favourite Traveller campaigns ever. I can't wait to get around to work on the new version.

Might just do that before 3rd Imperium, not sure though, both are important!
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Secrets of the Ancients is one of my favourite Traveller campaigns ever. I can't wait to get around to work on the new version.

Might just do that before 3rd Imperium, not sure though, both are important!
    The new Secret of the Ancients is such a vast improvement, if you haven't seen it you'll really like it.

Resurrecting the thread. I know MBM has been busy/in real life, but wondered if Secrets of the Ancients might be available here for FGU anytime soon.
    Thanks,
    Flyteach/Jim

And now we have Mysteries of the Ancients (Pt 1 of the trilogy) released in book form and the upcoming Wrath of the Ancients (Pt 3, and conclusion of the trilogy). If you didn't know, Secrets of the Ancients is Pt 2 in the trilogy.

I have given up ever seeing any more products released for MGT2 unless I create them myself. It really seems like it might be time for someone to hand over the reigns for the creation of more modules.
    Last edited by Stargrove; October 3rd, 2023 at 23:55.

Robots just came out in September. Deep Night Revelation was in August.

I definitely would like to have everything in the Mongoose catalog converted over eventually.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.islandkingdoms.org

Quote Originally Posted by Stargrove View Post
    I have given up ever seeing any more products released for MGT2 unless I create them myself.
    What are the legalisms involved in converting existing IP to the Fantasy Grounds format? I know I can convert a game/scenario I own for my own use in games that I'm running. But what are the rules related to distribution, either for pay or for free?

As a musician, I can perform a piece written by someone else. The location I'm playing at pays a license fee which gets distributed to all the song writers. If I record a piece written by someone else, I need to get a reproduction license, which pays the writer a certain amount for each piece that's sold. The rates are standardized; you don't need to negotiate with the composer for each piece. Obviously the game industry isn't as mature as the music industry. But is there something similar?
    FredrikVladimir

Primarily looking for Mongoose Travellers 2e

Central Florida, USA

Thread Information