DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Complicated new magic item

Hey all:

Trying to get a rather complicated magic item.
    I'm in a higher-end campaign with a very high level of magic.
    My DM has given me this bow
    I'm figuring it will have to be broken down into four components as each has a separate set of powers
    The biggest issue is being able to automate it so that I don't have to manually copy and paste from my test character to my actual one. I have the technical expertise to make most changes whereas he doesn't so I'll be making all the custom magic items for him so I'd like to be able to port things over to his system. I have gotten spoiled with Rob2E's spell effects for items so want to do the same for these items.

Elemental Bow description

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. It takes an action to expand it from its dormant state which looks like a platinum bar.

This platinum bow has 4 different gems, each with unique properties. It takes a bonus action to switch gems.

Ruby Gem: 1d12 fire damage. If you have a critical hit, the target gets hit for 5d8 fire damage. Those within 5' must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or take 5d8 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful save.

Sapphire Gem: 1d12 lightning damage. If you have a critical hit, the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer 3d8 lightning damage and be stunned for 1 minute. At the end of their turn, they can make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is still stunned.

Topaz Gem: 1d12 force damage. If you have a critical hit, the target must make a DC 15 Strength saving throw or suffer 2d6 piercing damage and be grappled for 1 minute. At the end of their turn, they can make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is still stunned.

Aquamarine Gem: 1d12 cold damage. If you have a critical hit, the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer 3d8 cold damage and be slowed for 1 minute. At the end of their turn, they can make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is still slowed.

If I make it one bow, then I'll have to port everything in as I doubt I can write a description that FG can translate into effects.

If I make them 4 different bows, then I just need the appropriate wording in the descriptions
    Ruby Bow; DMG: 5d8 fire, critical; SELF so it automatically works when I crit
    I'll have to set up something separate for the save on those within 5'
    Sapphire Bow; DMG: 3d8 lightning, critical; SELF
    Need the save for stunned separate I'm guessing

So for the sapphire bow for example, what wording can I use to have FG automatically create the critical damage effect and the secondary save effect of stunned.
    From what I see of Rob2E's spell effects, they're just linked back to their original item with DMG: ahead of it.
    So far, no luck in getting the powers to auto-populate. I'd rather not have to re-create all this once each of us players has set up our characters.

I am including a screencap of what I've done manually so far.

Thanks a bunch!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I know enough to know that I don't know it all!

It doesn't matter what the wording is in an item FGU won't create effects based on that wording. You'll need to set up the effects yourself just like your image.

If you want to have FGU translate the words and create the effects you'll need to create something like a feat or class feature or race feature or a spell. Anything that you can drag and drop into the actions tab.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

That is EXACTLY what I want to do. Creating a spell effect that covers each of the versions of the bow.

I need to edit the wording so that FG can understand it as it's not able to do so from what I've written
    Last edited by Rbbrbootz; January 26th, 2022 at 23:05.

You won't get any kind of wording which will produce DMG: ndn, <type>, critical so you'll need to construct that manually. What you probably want to do is to create the effects in a blank character and then open a new spell and drag the effect link and drop it onto that spell. You can then drag that spell onto a characters action tab and it will add the actions.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you for the help

Thread Information