DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Setting layer visibility

Hi,

I would like to set a layer invisible from the GM-only visibility status. It seems that once a layer is set to GM-only visibility, then the only way (that I know) to make it invisible is to cycle through the Visible-All status. Which reveals the layer to everyone, if only for a split second. I am specifically interested in the painting layer. I tried CTRL-click, ALT-click, SHIFT-click.

The cycle is Visible to All >> Invisible >> GM-only >> Visible to All.

Is it possible to change the visibility of a layer to a specific status, i.g. straight to invisible from the other two? Or do a reverse cycling, so I could set GM-only >> Invisible>> GM-only.

I don't believe there's a way, out of the box, to change the order of visibility. (It may be possible with an extension) I'm not sure, exactly, what you're trying to do, but here's a thread that may help you: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...y-Reveal-Order

Essentially, the suggestion is to set the transparency to zero before rotating through the visibility settings.

I hope that helps!
    Currently DM for the 5E homebrew campaign, Sands of Al-Khemet (Sun, 9am-12pm EST) Alternating
    Currently play as Scrax, a Ysoki operative/gunslinger, in Starfinder's Dead Suns adventure path (Sun, 9am-12pm EST) Alternating

Hi JonStormbringer,

Thank you for your reply! I will check out the linked conversation.
    Edit: The linked thread talks exactly about what I meant! I did not go so far back in my forum search - thanks for sharing it.
    I will try the workaround with opacity, but that is a bit fiddly, and basically means that the invisible option should not be used at all or very rarely.

My use case scenario is the following:

I would like to share an overland map with the players. As they discover sites and places of interest (POI), I would add visual indicators to the map.
    The method I thought I would use, would be to create a new painting layer for every such POI and create a marker with drawing or stamping, etc. This way I can make the marker visible when discovered.
    If I do everything right, no mistakes and no changes in the game world, then this is fine. However, in many cases I would need to go back and make a correction or adjustment during the game, without the players seeing the layer:
    - want to change the visual settings of the marker (color, opacity, size, etc.)
    - want move - change the location
    - want to replace the brush/stamp with another one i.e. use a different icon
    - want to quickly add a new POI marker

Since the layer visibility cycle goes from "GM-only" to "visible to all" before going to "invisible", the layer would pop-up on the players' screen. This could also happen due to a wrong/misplaced .
    By a wrong click of the mouse, I could also set from "invisible" to "visible to all" if I click twice instead of once, when trying to change to "GM-only".
    Since the GM cannot see the content of "invisible" layers, I would need the GM-only view to be able to make alterations "behind the scenes" during play.

Hope this clarifies. The underlined part is important: this is about changing the layer visibility during game.
    Last edited by Szabtom; January 27th, 2022 at 12:33. Reason: checked the linked thread

So there are two things you can do, if I'm understanding the issue correctly. You can rely on transparency or use the layer stack to prioritize your images--or use both.

I apologize if you already know what I'm about to say, but not everyone has used photoshop or other programs with layers. Think of your layers as a stack. Whatever is on top is going to have primacy over what's below it. So, if you wanted to change an X to an O, you would initially have the X at the top of the stack. To change it to an O, you could just drag the O layer above the X layer. (And then quickly hide the x layer, if you need to)

Let me try and explain by example. I've done a tarokka card reading for my table a couple times. It looked to the players, during a live session, like I was almost dealing/flipping the cards in front of their eyes, all using the layer stack and visibility. (Sorry this will be image intensive)

The initial image is what the players first see, a red velvet table cloth. Notice everything is invisible except the graphic I'm using for the tabletop.

image_2022-01-27_075902.png

Next, I begin "Dealing" the cards, using the visibility options. In this image, I've only dealt the first card, but have revealed two cards via visibility (I made CB-1 and The Darklord cards visible). The Darklord card is directly underneath the CB-01 card. (CB=card back). Because the Darklord card is below the cb-1 card , it can't be seen because it falls under the cb-1 card in the layer stack.

image_2022-01-27_080752.png

Now I've revealed all 10 images, but to the players, it looks like I've only revealed 5 card backs.

image_2022-01-27_081125.png

Next, I flip/reveal the first card, The Dark Lord. I simply hide CB-01 and because the darklord card is directly below it in the stack, it becomes visible to the players.

image_2022-01-27_081542.png

Here are all the cards revealed. In game, I reveal the cards during the session/live one at a time, explaining each card as I flip it over--in my best fortune teller voice! :P

image_2022-01-27_082011.png
    Last edited by JonStormbringer; January 27th, 2022 at 13:41.
    Currently DM for the 5E homebrew campaign, Sands of Al-Khemet (Sun, 9am-12pm EST) Alternating
    Currently play as Scrax, a Ysoki operative/gunslinger, in Starfinder's Dead Suns adventure path (Sun, 9am-12pm EST) Alternating

Second post because of 5 image limit per post.

Also, I can reveal cards, just by changing the order of the of the Layer Stack, instead of using the visibility clicker. Here is an example with the Dark Lord card drug above the CB-01 card. (All cards are visible)

card-06.PNG

Hopefully, I haven't confused you. More importantly I hope that helps or at least gives you another option.

Good luck!

Similarly if you have all the things you want to mark on the map in a layer on its own you can make them all invisible and then make that particular layer visible when you need to.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Similarly if you have all the things you want to mark on the map in a layer on its own you can make them all invisible and then make that particular layer visible when you need to.
    Yes, meant to add that to my post, but forgot. This, IMO, is the easiest and most versatile option.

I appreciate the time you took to explain all that, JonStormbringer. Clear and super useful!

This card situation was all set up in advance, right? How would you change a card on the fly, for instance replace the Dark lord with another card, while the game session is in progress?

As long as the Cards are on different layers you can make one visible whilst making the other invisible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; January 27th, 2022 at 16:39.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Thanks Zacchaeus. But I need individual hide-reveal possibility for each POI marker, since as the party travels, they only find one of them at a time. e.g. a secret cave, a lair, a witch's hut. They could also move or change or perhaps get destroyed.

Is there a limit to the number of layers an image can have? I would not try to store an entire campaign world map in one image, but it would be useful to know if I can add 20 or 100 markers (layers).

Thread Information