STAR TREK 2d20

How to include NPC tokens in exported modules?

Hey all you module converters!

So I just got feedback from James Holloway about my first module conversion (B5 Horror on the Hill), and the 2 things I need to fix are locking all records (What's up with that by the way? I hate it when the modules I've bought are read-only) and including tokens for all NPCs. So making the thing read-only on export is easy enough, but I've included several NPCs from the Monstrous Compendium, and it looks like their tokens are NOT included in the exported module. In the 'Module Export' window, in the Export Tokens area it says 'Non-module tokens referenced in exported data are included automatically'. I've also made copies of some of the common NPCs from the MC (like Hobgoblins) and put them in the 'Horror on the Hill' Group in my NPC window, and that does not seem to do it.

So the question is how do I get the tokens from the MC to show up on my NPCs in the exported module if the person loading the module doesn't also have the MC?

I figured I'd ask here because it's been extremely challenging getting any kind of detailed answers out of James.

Thanks, and hopefully B5 will be available soon!

By locking records James mean that the record (story, NPC etc) should be locked on the top right of the item, NPC etc. It doesn't mean that the module should be exported as read only.

To export tokens with a module you first need to add the tokens to the tokens folder inside the campaign folder that you used to create the module and then use those tokens on the NPCs. So open the assets > Tokens and then you should see a bag called campaign and you drag the tokens from there to the NPC.

If the tokens you have used are not accessible to you (because they are in another locked module which you can't access) then you'll need to use generic letter tokens for the NPCs. Same thing applies add the generic letter tokens to the token folder and use the tokens from there.

When you export the linked tokens will automatically be exported with the NPC you linked them to.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Gotcha, thanks for the quick reply Zacchaeus!

OK, after poking around it looks like this is the state of things: If I use the NPCs from the Monstrous Compendium, THERE'S NO WAY TO INCLUDE THE TOKENS WITH THEM in my converted module, even though it's likely the person who will buy and use this module will also have the MC? So for the DM that will be running the module (and paid money for it), if they want to have the Monstrous Compendium monsters with their associated token, they will have to go through the module that I put so much effort into converting and REPLACE ALL THE NPC TOKENS AGAIN!? Does anyone else find this more than a little ridiculous?

It depends on the IP etc but for the WotC 5e conversions I do I use (and have access to - since I made them) the tokens from the DMG. So if this is an official WotC conversion then you should get yourself access to those tokens. If it's a third party thing then you'll need to use generic tokens since you can't, because of copyright reasons, use the IP of WotC (or any other copyrighted material).

Generally when developing adventures everything should be included in the adventure on the basis that the user does not have access to such things as the monster manual or DMG etc. However this can only be accomplished if the IP of those assets is the same as the module you are converting. If it's not then you need to use SRD material if available or generic images and tokens.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by sasaki View Post
    OK, after poking around it looks like this is the state of things: If I use the NPCs from the Monstrous Compendium, THERE'S NO WAY TO INCLUDE THE TOKENS WITH THEM in my converted module, even though it's likely the person who will buy and use this module will also have the MC? So for the DM that will be running the module (and paid money for it), if they want to have the Monstrous Compendium monsters with their associated token, they will have to go through the module that I put so much effort into converting and REPLACE ALL THE NPC TOKENS AGAIN!? Does anyone else find this more than a little ridiculous?
    Hi Sasaki,

Thx for your contribution in converting Classic DnD modules.

Few things first.

join us on discord if you haven t already done it to get some live support from some very helpful people. https://discord.gg/ADcWAzgJ

Then, get the Author extension https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/151/view. It s made by Celestian (aka Mike) the 2E ruleset developer. This will help you to close and open every entries with a click of a button, you can also add token letters very easily through it, it has few other perks as well.

As for tokens, i don t know why we have access to copyrighted text, pictures, arts etc of the MM but not tokens... this is not specific to the MM, it s general... you can t reuse a token you haven t made yourself. You ll have to ask someone at SW why.

Using MM NPCs for conversions works well in the past (including their respective tokens), however an issue was recently found with this following a major Core update but should have been fixed. That s odd.

Are you converting with FGC or FGU?

Thanks for the replies Zacchaeus and readymeal. I've been hesitant to join discord because it's yet another app/service/account to sign up for, and I've already got more than enough of those in my life! I may do so at some point though.

As far as my system, I'm converting with FGU with all the latest updates. Although the initial conversion was done back in October, if that makes a difference. I did an export this morning though and looked at it with a test client account and it did not have the tokens on the MM NPCs.

Hey all you module converters!

So I just got feedback from James Holloway about my first module conversion (B5 Horror on the Hill), and the 2 things I need to fix are locking all records (What's up with that by the way? I hate it when the modules I've bought are read-only) and including tokens for all NPCs. So making the thing read-only on export is easy enough, but I've included several NPCs from the Monstrous Compendium, and it looks like their tokens are NOT included in the exported module. In the 'Module Export' window, in the Export Tokens area it says 'Non-module tokens referenced in exported data are included automatically'. I've also made copies of some of the common NPCs from the MC (like Hobgoblins) and put them in the 'Horror on the Hill' Group in my NPC window, and that does not seem to do it.

So the question is how do I get the tokens from the MC to show up on my NPCs in the exported module if the person loading the module doesn't also have the MC?

I figured I'd ask here because it's been extremely challenging getting any kind of detailed answers out of James.

Thanks, and hopefully B5 will be available soon!
    If you have questions or need assistance with conversions that will be sold in the store, it's best to reach out the James directly. James can provide more direct answers and materials related to your project to get your project to the finish line.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Thanks for the replies Zacchaeus and readymeal. I've been hesitant to join discord because it's yet another app/service/account to sign up for, and I've already got more than enough of those in my life! I may do so at some point though.

As far as my system, I'm converting with FGU with all the latest updates. Although the initial conversion was done back in October, if that makes a difference. I did an export this morning though and looked at it with a test client account and it did not have the tokens on the MM NPCs.
    hmm, that s odd then cause i have just checked my last conversion (which is using many MM NPCs) and after exporting the module and opening it up in my test campaign (with nothing else open but that module...) i can see all MM tokens... however i started this one after the latest Core update but the conversion before that one which i started prior and finished after the Core update, i had the token removed very much like yours...

Can you try to recreate a simple encounter with a MM NPC in a fresh new campaign? export it then check it out...

Obviously as Zacchaeus said, you might need access to the MM tokens to finish that one. Still not sure why we can t access and use any tokens used in purchased modules. I mean we already have access to the original picture/art where the token is coming from...i don t get it???

Blog Entries
    The latest update changed how tokens were dealt with (non technical description). I think all you need to do is reapply the missing tokens and do another export.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information