STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Core Rules Update 2022

Hello, I was wondering if the Core Rules Update 2022 is in the works or will be in the works at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by cdjensen99 View Post
    Hello, I was wondering if the Core Rules Update 2022 is in the works or will be in the works at some point?
    In the works once the current books are finished, so expect start next month.

Thanks,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

As I understand the new rule book will be a new item to buy.
    Can you load it into a existing campaign and then unload the old one or will you have to create a new campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Boldtaar View Post
    As I understand the new rule book will be a new item to buy.
    Can you load it into a existing campaign and then unload the old one or will you have to create a new campaign?
    The 2022 Rulebook will be a new item to buy, as it's a complete new conversion, but you won't need it if you don't want it.

Your campaigns are not linked to rulebooks, so swapping out one module for another won't change anything. The only issue you may experience is any data you've linked directly from the core rulebook. A pop-up reminder will warn you of this if you unload that rulebook.

So all in all, there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    The 2022 Rulebook will be a new item to buy, as it's a complete new conversion, but you won't need it if you don't want it.
    MBM
    While I understand that you need to be compensated for your time I have to say this is very dissapointing.
    It will create two very slightly different rule-sets for mongoose 2e that will only continue to diverge as the update for high guard eventually gets released.

In addition it will cause endless confusion when new FGU players are getting into the game (why are there two version of the core rules? why are there two version of high guard? etc).

My humble suggestion is to offer the updated core rules at a heavily discounted price to those who currently own the mg2e core rules.

I know you have no control over this MBM, I'd suggest discussing this with Matt & the FGU Team.

thanks

I think the whole 2022 update is poorly done. The title is just bad, it makes it seem like they plan to produce yearly core rules updates just changing the year like an almanac.

Since it seems like, based on their forum posts, that this is going to be done through more books than core and high guard, it is going to increase the confusion and annoyance.

Mongoose would have done better just calling it third edition.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    I think the whole 2022 update is poorly done. The title is just bad, it makes it seem like they plan to produce yearly core rules updates just changing the year like an almanac.

Since it seems like, based on their forum posts, that this is going to be done through more books than core and high guard, it is going to increase the confusion and annoyance.

Mongoose would have done better just calling it third edition.
    They didn't want to do it as a 3rd edition, as it's not really changed. It's more a refresh and mass content sweep update. You won't need to buy any of them, and being honest here, I've gotta work out how both should be called the same and have the same ruleset, but not overwrite each other, so in other words, if you happen to have the Core Rulebook, it should still exist if you get the 2022 update, yet the ruleset needs to be the same so Referee's can use either.

Honestly, I'd have preferred more new books, than a refresh.

Cheers.
    MBM

Yes the best way for this to work would be to update to the existing mg2e ruleset to "2022 updated version" and charge a discounted fee.
    At the same time replace the existing mg2e with the newly updated "2022 updated version" in the FGU store.

That would ensure we do not have two competing rules versions, people with existing ruleset have an option to update at a reasonable price and existing players who want to stick with mg2e as is can.

Otherwise this will cause a real problem for existing traveller fgu players imho

Quote Originally Posted by adzling View Post
    Yes the best way for this to work would be to update to the existing mg2e ruleset to "2022 updated version" and charge a discounted fee.
    At the same time replace the existing mg2e with the newly updated "2022 updated version" in the FGU store.

That would ensure we do not have two competing rules versions, people with existing ruleset have an option to update at a reasonable price and existing players who want to stick with mg2e as is can.

Otherwise this will cause a real problem for existing traveller fgu players imho
    Hi adzling,

Let me think on this. I've got a lovely idea (I did get myself a fresh cup of tea). And I'll run it by Matt and see what he says.

Cheers,
    MBM

thanks MBM you really are a good chap, I also emailed Matt directly.

With the impending updates to High Guard and Pirates of Drinax this problem is only going to grow.

An example: I purchased the Traveller core rules as a PDF, the mg2e ruleset on FGU and now I have bought the hard-cover/special edition 2022 update.
    It would be an insult to force me to pay full price for the traveller core 2022 rules update in FGU.
    Then do the same for High Guard.
    Then do the same for PoD.

Thread Information