DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: How to Demo?

How to Demo?

I'm new to FG (I did look at it briefly a few years ago but never used it). and I'd like to try it out before I decide to buy it, but I can't figure out how to do that. I installed the demo version, but the only option seems to be "Create a Campaign", and it won't let me do that unless I buy a license. Am I missing something?

Jim

Buy a license. There's a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

It should let you connect to campaigns with no license.

Blog Entries
    Smiteworks has a no questions asked 30-day money back policy. You can buy a license and use for 30 days, ask for a refund if FG isn't what you're looking for.

As for the Demo, that's really only useful for being a player connecting to a game run by someone with an Ultimate license. You can sort of poke under the hood with it, but nothing is saved and IMO it doesn't give you the "full" width and breadth of the FG experience.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Well, I paid for the one-time Ultimate license, but I still haven't received a license code, so I still can't do anything...

Blog Entries
    Hi jjensen6823

The serial numbers should be sent to your email address.
    If your PayPal email address is different to your Forum account email address check that one too.

Next stop is to go to https://support.fantasygrounds.com/ and log a ticket with as much info as possible and they will get you squared away.

There is (or used to be at least) an issue where Paypal would sit on some transactions for 24 hours - if that has happened then its a waiting game...

In the meantime you can try Load Campaign and there should be a (really basic) 5E Sample Campaign which will give you a bit of a taste.

If for some reason the Sample Campaigns are missing, you can find them in this thread.

Just unzip the files into the \campaigns folder (click on the folder icon in the upper left of the launcher screen where you see Create/Load campaign).

Quote Originally Posted by jjensen6823 View Post
    I'm new to FG (I did look at it briefly a few years ago but never used it). and I'd like to try it out before I decide to buy it, but I can't figure out how to do that. I installed the demo version, but the only option seems to be "Create a Campaign", and it won't let me do that unless I buy a license. Am I missing something?

Jim
    You can create a campaign with a free license - but you can't have any players connect to you, as the network component of FGU is disabled for free licenses.

To create a campaign do the following:
    1. Click the "Create Campaign" button
    2. In the create campaign screen, select the ruleset you want to use for the campaign - you will only be able to select rulesets that come with the base FG, not rulesets that require purchasing.
    3. Enter the name for your campaign in the "Name" field.
    4. Click the "Start" button - your campaign will be created and will load.

These are the rulesets that come with FGU: D&D 2E, D&D 3.5E, D&D 4E, D&D 5E, FATECore, Pathfinder 1, Pathfinder 2, Numenera, Starfinder

These are the data libraries included: D&D 5e SRD, D&D 5e Basic Rules, D&D 3.5E SRD, FATECore, Pathfinder 1E SRD
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 24th, 2022 at 14:23.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You DO have to enter your forum account info though.

Thread Information