DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuirkyBirky View Post
    Without a doubt and I wouldn't try and argue otherwise. However, we are talking about a fantasy setting where you already have to suspend disbelief for the magical and fantastic side of things. It doesn't take much to ignore these gender differences - as I mentioned above, we're talking about heroic adventurers who are better than the average person (characters with 100 strength, or 18/00 in D&D, assuming my D&D terms of reference aren't wildly out or date, are pretty unique individuals, regardless of gender).
    In the stats that do differ between sexes it tends to be at the extremes that they really differ...

As I keep saying though, it's down to the group who are playing it. If you want female characters then they need to be playable and not at a disadvantage from the start - balance a strength penalty with an agility bonus, so they aren't penalised in combat skills. My own group has remained the same (more or less) since the mid 1980's. We're all male, have played dozens of different systems and I don't recall this being an issue in all that time, and female characters do get played from time to time - in fact one of my players currently has a female barbarian fighter.
    Im pretty sure you quoted half of my reply and left of the part where I said
    Perhaps the Female bonus would be in Agility or Empathy?

The land of the Pecsaetan, in the Kingdom of Mercia
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    In the stats that do differ between sexes it tends to be at the extremes that they really differ...

Im pretty sure you quoted half of my reply and left of the part where I said
    Perhaps the Female bonus would be in Agility or Empathy?
    I did only quote half your reply (apologies), partly because you were replying to the original poster, so it didn't feel right to include it in my response, but yes I was agreeing with you in terms of agility. Not so much with empathy, if I'm honest, not because it's right (which it probably is) but more about game balance - an agility bonus at least makes up for a strength penalty in terms of combat skills whereas empathy would steer the character in a particular direction. If I was female I guess I'd be more inclined to play female characters than male, but I wouldn't be happy if I was penalised for doing so. So for me, it's not necessarily about realism, but about gameplay - RPGs are about escaping the real world and all the nonsense that comes with it. If it's an all male group then it's a moot point.

We've all got opinions though and that's just my take on things and I'll get off my high horse (and try not to fumble the roll in the process).

Thread Information