Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Auto-Saving Keeps Getting Longer - What to Do?

Hello everyone,

I am hoping a dev can help me figure out what is going wrong here. This is the second time I've created my campaign from scratch (new campaign, reload modules, import characters.) I really don't want to do that again, but the auto-save every 5 minutes keeps getting longer and longer and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am keeping all my images and extra story entries in a separate module, and trying not to add bloat, but it seems like just standard use of FGU increases the save time, despite the db.xml file only being about 1 MB.

Right now my save time is at 7-10 seconds and it is infuriating trying to run the game when it keeps locking up. The party just completed the final boss of Princes of the Apocalypse, but they want to follow my homebrew hooks to get to level 20, so, I hope I can get this solved!

Here is a link to my campaign:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B7d...ew?usp=sharing

Any help much appreciated however, I would *highly* appreciate the ability to OPT OUT of Autosave event, even if you have to put a disclaimer like "DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK OF LOSS OF FILES!" If it only saved automatically on quit of FGU, I would be so much happier. Just me 2 cp.

Update (1/19 4PM ET): It seems I have a solution for now. The fix was to revert changes I made to one map in my campaign (Player version of Plunging Torrents) and then the save time when back down to under 1s. This seems to indicate a bug to me, however, because the only changes I really made to this map were drawing on it (and placing tokens of course.). I think the issue/bug is with drawing and undoing, because I consistently had issues with the pen where it wouldn’t work, and then using the eraser made the pen drawing appear. I’ve reported that issue before separately, but no fix yet.
    Last edited by seansps; January 19th, 2022 at 21:00. Reason: Clarifications, Updates

I don't see this on my computer, save time is according to the console 0.1 seconds, could be a MAC things though.
    What is your OS and FGU version?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    I don't see this on my computer, save time is according to the console 0.1 seconds, could be a MAC things though.
    What is your OS and FGU version?
    Weird! Yes I wonder if it is due to MacOS? I am on macOS 12.1 (Monterey). And the latest version of FGU (4.1.13).

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.23.02 AM.png
    Last edited by seansps; January 19th, 2022 at 15:23. Reason: Adding Screenshot

I see it on my PC with when the campaign gets large (5mb+ DB file). Big thread about it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-large-modules

Your db.xml looks to only be about 1 MB though. Rough.
    Last edited by Sterno; January 19th, 2022 at 15:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterno View Post
    I see it on my PC with when the campaign gets large (5mb+ DB file). Big thread about it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-large-modules
    That's the thing, though. It's not, mine is only 1 MB. I also have an older version that I use for making additional modules (almost the same size) and it saves in 0.3s.

Also, I just tested this in Windows, and it is happening there too for me. Takes 7-10s to save there as well.

@seansps Something I saw was that if I was actively working in the campaign, autosave could take a long time, but if I just let the app idle, autosave was quick. Are you seeing the long save times even if it's just idling?

You can check by leaving the console open (/console in the chat window to open it) and just walking away for 15-20 minutes. You should see "Campaign Saved" messages with the time it took to save appear in the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterno View Post
    @seansps Something I saw was that if I was actively working in the campaign, autosave could take a long time, but if I just let the app idle, autosave was quick. Are you seeing the long save times even if it's just idling?

You can check by leaving the console open (/console in the chat window to open it) and just walking away for 15-20 minutes. You should see "Campaign Saved" messages with the time it took to save appear in the console.
    Sadly, yes… I see it when idling or doing the /save command.

I am with @Sterno in that this has been mainly a DB size issue but given your description it could be something corrupted in the DB file hanging up the process? I have noticed that a Windows export takes 5-10x longer than a Linux export of the same campaign. So, clearly there are differences in the way the code interacts with the HD and file system.

Quote Originally Posted by nephranka View Post
    I am with @Sterno in that this has been mainly a DB size issue but given your description it could be something corrupted in the DB file hanging up the process? I have noticed that a Windows export takes 5-10x longer than a Linux export of the same campaign. So, clearly there are differences in the way the code interacts with the HD and file system.
    I guess that would be indicative of a bug then. Why would it get corrupt with normal use? It’s a pretty new campaign, too. I am very dismayed with the performance of FGU lately from all sorts of angles, and the frustration with this auto save feature is really trying my patience as a customer, to be honest.

Your autosave issue does seem to be different. Hope you get it sorted out!

Thread Information