5E Character Create Playlist

Split maps in Descent into Avernus

I just found out that a few maps in the module are split in two halves. This is not only for different floors but also contiguous areas (examples: Dungeon of the Dead Three or Under the Villa).
    I suppose there is a reason for that?
    Is there an easy way to copy-paste the two halves together? I can edit XML files if it comes to that...

Generally I try to keep maps whole but where they are too big then it becomnes necessary to split them. Remember that this module was developed for Classic (and still needs to be compatible with Classic) so the limits on images are the Classic ones.

In Unity you should be able to open one of the maps and then drag the second half of it from assets and position it so that they are aligned. Depending on what the scale of the maps are it might be difficult to line them up perfectly. I did try this with the Dead Tree dungeon and it works.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Generally I try to keep maps whole but where they are too big then it becomnes necessary to split them. Remember that this module was developed for Classic (and still needs to be compatible with Classic) so the limits on images are the Classic ones.

In Unity you should be able to open one of the maps and then drag the second half of it from assets and position it so that they are aligned. Depending on what the scale of the maps are it might be difficult to line them up perfectly. I did try this with the Dead Tree dungeon and it works.
    The image is not a problem (there are several fan-made alternative maps which look even better than the original). The issue is with all the data: walls, doors, lights and encounter monster placement. It is possible to replicate it all by hand but it's the kind of work I paid for when buying the module since I don't have that much time.
    Is there a way to merge it all? I'm not scared by XML if that's an option.

Are you talking about replacing the maps with other maps you've obtained elesewhere? If so then you might be able to add the new map as a layer over the original and resize it down to the same dimensions and then make the original transparent using the alpha layer. This will preserve the line of sight and map pins etc. Otherwise you would have to recreate the line of sight and add in pins, encounters etc. There isn't a way to merge something that exists outside the module with module content
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Are you talking about replacing the maps with other maps you've obtained elesewhere? If so then you might be able to add the new map as a layer over the original and resize it down to the same dimensions and then make the original transparent using the alpha layer. This will preserve the line of sight and map pins etc. Otherwise you would have to recreate the line of sight and add in pins, encounters etc. There isn't a way to merge something that exists outside the module with module content
    That was my plan. I was just about to do that when I realized the map was split. What I need help for is merging the two halves.

Basically open the map you want to use and then drag in the other maps from assets (not from the image list) and they will drop onto the original map as layers. Select the layer and resize the map you dragged in and reposition it over the original until it fits exactly. Once you do that then you can select the colour picker for that layer and reduce the alkpha channel (the botton slider) until it's zero and the layer will be invisible. However it will retain the line of sight occluders and the map pins. Your main problem will likely be getting the dropped in layers to be exactly the same size as the map you want to use and lined up exactly right so that the oclluders are in the right place. You'll likely need to do some fiddling but it is certainly doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad80 View Post
    What I need help for is merging the two halves.
    I guess that's not possible. I have to say I am a bit disappointed.

I would have kept the whole map for FGU and then ALSO add the two halves to support FG Classic. It should be easy enough to copy and then delete half of the map to generate the partial ones from the whole.

I would have kept the whole map for FGU and then ALSO add the two halves to support FG Classic.
    Then you'd need two separate modules - one for FGU and one for FGC, as each of the maps have encounter token placements which are specific to a location on one map. SmiteWorks tend to shy away from maintaining two code bases for the same product as it massively complicates the support and maintenance process.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I guess that's not possible. I have to say I am a bit disappointed.

I would have kept the whole map for FGU and then ALSO add the two halves to support FG Classic. It should be easy enough to copy and then delete half of the map to generate the partial ones from the whole.
    As I said it may not be all that easy but it should be doable. OPen the map you want to use and drag and drop the west section and line it up then drag and drop the east section and line that up. Then use the Alpha channel to make the east and west sections invisible.

The original map file for this dungeon is over 8000x5700 and even for FGU that's too big. So it would still have been split for FGU supposing it was developed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Then you'd need two separate modules - one for FGU and one for FGC, as each of the maps have encounter token placements which are specific to a location on one map. SmiteWorks tend to shy away from maintaining two code bases for the same product as it massively complicates the support and maintenance process.
    I see that would indeed be a problem. Too bad I guess.

The original map file for this dungeon is over 8000x5700 and even for FGU that's too big. So it would still have been split for FGU supposing it was developed for it.
    thank you for the warning. I'm going to make the unified map and for my group usability comes first, so I'll pick a resolution that FGU can manage. I admit that I see no reason for the original graphic to be that big given its style anyway.

Thread Information