DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Hey Mike, I've been playing around more in FGU with the extensions I bought, and I got most of it figured out. Quick question (hopefully the last one): I would like to add the Adventure Deck cards for Necessary Evil that they made. Is that something I can do in FG or would I need to edit a MOD file or something (which I really don't want to do)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    Things I've run into are missing images and tokens, SWD skills dropped in SWADE, missing SWADE skills on older character sheets, differences in edges and abilities. Sometimes things work differently and may require some tweaking (like powers/arcane backgrounds). I've also seen outright incorrect stats.

Sometimes the items can be updated directly because the mod is editable.

Often it's not editable. In that case, you can make a copy of the npc, pre-gen, vehicle, item, whatever. That copy will be in your campaign, and you can edit it however you like. You may then have to update encounters, character sheets, and such. But it will be the same procedure with them.

Note that recent changes in the FGU combat tracker means that npcs you add to CT are editable from the CT. Depending on what change you need or want, you can drop an npc into CT, tweak it in there, then copy it to create your group. That may not work on game night because it breaks pace, but it's a good-to-know if you need an unexpected encounter with something you haven't updated yet.

It's not difficult, and you may not want to muck around inside the mod file itself. It just takes some time. One great thing about Savage Worlds is that numbers can be a bit off, things may not work quite right, but it usually doesn't detract from the fun or game play. Declare it a quirk or hindrance, roll with it, make it part of the scene. Sometimes the players will think you did it intentionally.

@Lonewolf Thanks for explaining all that. I'm considering running Necessary Evil, so that information really helps me figure out what to buy and how to prepare.

There's a way to create a custom adventure deck for FGU. I haven't done it yet, but others here have. I've seen discussions on the forum about it. You can also ask on the discord server.

Here's a couple links to get you started:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...adventure+deck

and a bonus:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...nsions-Updated

Thanks, Mike! I'll check 'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    There's a way to create a custom adventure deck for FGU. I haven't done it yet, but others here have. I've seen discussions on the forum about it. You can also ask on the discord server.

Here's a couple links to get you started:

and a bonus:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...nsions-Updated

I based my WotD deck on the current Adventure Deck. After completing it, I noticed something hadn't paid attention before.

There is the (VERY simplified):
    Code:
    <adventuredeckcards>
        <entries>
            <ListName>
                 <librarylink>
                  <l/ibrarylink>
                 <index>
                     <xxCardname> 
                         <listlink>
                               -> points to card image **[Appears at top level, when click opens popup that has a list of cards same as below and upon clicking shows same card image]**
                          </listlink>
                     </xxxCardname>
                  </index>
             </ListName>

<another_xxCardname>
                 <librarylink>
                      -> points to card  image **[Appears indented under corresponding list above]**
                  <l/ibrarylink>
              </another_xxCardname>
        <entries>              
    <adventuredeckcards>

<refimage>
        <cards>
            <cardname>
                <image>
                  <bitmap>images/Cardname.jpg</bitmap>   --> **The actual graphic**
                </image>
            </cardname>
        </cards>
    </refimage>

So I wonder - what is the point (practical or historical) of having the "List entry" with links inside to each of the cards in addition to the top level (under list) entries for the cards. Like you can open the same card through 2 different "paths" on the GUI.

Because this module was designed to work in FG classic and FGU. It was also designed to work with Explorer's Edition and SWADE. All those use slightly different data layouts.
    My guess is that if you're using only FGU and only SWADE (for example), you could trim some of that out. I couldn't say which nodes without looking through various code bases or monotonous trial and error.
    This is an example of what's being cleaned out of some products. I don't know if the adventure deck will get revamped, since it works.

Yuppers, I am not trying to "change" it - I was trying to understand the one I was basing it off of.
    Since I only have played SWD a few times online (no campaigns ) I don't have enough experience. But I've been buying all their stuff since about 2018 or so in main Core/Companions + Deadlands + WW + Lankh + WotD + Necessary Evil lines. I really like the system and I finally wanted to DM one with my OSR friends since I can't yet seem to find a slot for joining a campaign.

Figured I'd try out WotD before going to DL and maybe some superhero stuff time to time. Since not all the WotD stuff (like adventure cards) were done in FG, figured I'd add those in for my use along with the unimplemented second Survivors PDF and the like.

I hope to run it in SWADE but for now adding just SWD cards since there are none specific to SWADE (though all cards work other than changing things like Charisma to Persuasion bonuses off the top of my head)

When I test it then I will pick only one of the two.

Does anyone know which is the "main" FGU style in the trees? I MIGHT have some old pre-FGU version of the mod saved in some copied FG dir (used to save them time to time) and maybe if no one answers I can unzip the AdventureCard.mod to see if it used only one of the above. But obviously, I'd want it to work for both so while I implement in FGU - I will open it in Classic to test as well

But if it is not "FGU vs FGC" but instead SWEx vs SWD vs SWADE - that is different. Obviously, have to support both ruleset paths for SWD and SWADE. Is SWEX support still a thing in new releases? Meaning db records for the ruleset - not necessarily the rule changes. I assumed Smiteworks was only implementing existing SWD to also work in SWADE and was never sure if new SWADE-era stuff is meant to also be opened in SWD. I only ever open in SWD to test thing I implemented for SWADE these days.

If it is historical, which is "better" looking I wonder - the flat list or the sublist popup...

Turns out I found one from Dec 22, 2016 that I unzipped and it looked identical in layout.

So this predates both SWADE and FGU.

So either, as suggested, SWEX used a different "way" than SWD and the SWD Adventure cards did it "both ways" to work with the SWEX ruleset (before my time no idea what/if that was) or it was always just 2 alternate ways to display the same thing which seems weird to me..

I wish I had the old SWEX Adventure Cards if they existed to unzip and compare with.

That said, does anyone have FG "AdventureCards" for anything post SWADE that never existed in the SWEX era? I'm wondering if those copied the example from the SWD Adventure Cards or if they did it in the "preferred modern way" (if there is such)

(edited out the questions about SWADE - realized they were in the vault or something )
    Last edited by Varsuuk; April 24th, 2022 at 20:31.

There used to be a an option under SWD to add bonus cards into an existing deck. Sometimes settings added a set of new cards to the original deck. The release of the new super powers companion also does this.
    With this option removed the feature is no longer supported in FGU. However you find traces of it.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

I cannot speak for the Super's specific items as I have not used them in FGU. For the regular NPCs, my conversion is as follows:

0. Make a copy of the NPC. I tend to put them in their own module (at a minimum, I create a group for them) but you do not have to.
    1. Remove old skills
    2. Add Athletics = Agility, unless they had a specific older skill that was wrapped into Athletics that was higher. Depending on the NPC, I might add the other "free" skills if they do not have them and it makes sense.
    3. Remove Guts. If the Guts skill was higher than Spirit, give them the Guts Edge
    4. I clean up and swap out most Edges/Hindrances/Powers. For Edges and Hindrances, if there is a mechanical impact that is coded behind the scenes, the SWADE ruleset just swaps in the right code. But if there is an Effect coded (you see [something +1]) that tends not to be picked up.
    5. Check the gear. That is usually good other than its best to swap out armors (some went up +1).
    6. Update the Attacks. Things like Frenzy and Trademark weapon tend not to be factored in. There are a number of edges that are situational (Sweep). These tended not to be implemented even in the original ruleset. I take the opportunity to make subattacks and reflect them. Especially for Powers - make a few sub attacks that reflect Enhanced Damage or potentially AP. I mean, *I* am going to toss that at the players - may as well have it set up already.

That might read like a bit, but in reality its not. Most common mooks is just tidying up a few skills and maybe an Edge. For notable NPCs, I just do it as part of my prep of getting to know the NPC and what it can do. So I am just swapping a few things as I read them. The drag and drop makes it really quick. Take advantage of subattacks to get the situational edges in play so it works without modifications during the game.

Have fun!
    Last edited by amerigoV; April 25th, 2022 at 12:52.

Thread Information