DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Caravan to Ein Arris

I would like to know if anyone here on the forum that uses the GURPS Rules Set, managed to master the Caravan Adventure For Ein Arris, if so this charitable soul could provide the adventure, so that I can test the ruleset, leading this adventure ? Thanks for listening.

Yako, I am also interested in using this Gurps adventure in FGU. I am not sure if you are aware, but there is a recent thread on reddit, where a person talks about running it (not in FGU tho).

https://old.reddit.com/r/gurps/comme...s_actual_play/

I have designed a map based on the chapel for that adventure.

Does anyone know how we can utilise material without infringing on copyright? If I create a map in FGU based on a map in a published adventure, is that my interpretation? Or is that still considered copyright?
    Rulesets:
    GURPS 4th Edition, Savage Worlds Adventure Edition, Savage Pathfinder, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Classic D&D, 5e Essentials

Ultimate License Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Padre Moto View Post
    I have designed a map based on the chapel for that adventure.

Does anyone know how we can utilise material without infringing on copyright? If I create a map in FGU based on a map in a published adventure, is that my interpretation? Or is that still considered copyright?
    That's a very grey area as it would technically be a derivative piece of (art)work. However, the maps in the adventure are hardly unique and any maps you make using FGU will be vastly different in look and style, even though you depict the similar features. It would be sufficiently different that you would not be infringing anything.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke View Post
    That's a very grey area as it would technically be a derivative piece of (art)work. However, the maps in the adventure are hardly unique and any maps you make using FGU will be vastly different in look and style, even though you depict the similar features. It would be sufficiently different that you would not be infringing anything.
    Right.

Additionally none of this is being published to FORGE or being put up on a website to be downloaded for use. I think that would definitely breach the SJG online use policy.
    Rulesets:
    GURPS 4th Edition, Savage Worlds Adventure Edition, Savage Pathfinder, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Classic D&D, 5e Essentials

Ultimate License Holder

I'm Brazilian and some "laws" are different here so I'll expose my line of thought:
    1 - The company authorized the creation and, in a way, the addition of resources that make it much easier to conduct adventures in GURPS.
    2 - Attaching a classic "adventure" will give both newbies and curious alike something to lean on.
    3 - Attaching the adventure or rather having a module is a new way to spread the materials, attracting attention to new ways of playing.
    4 - It would not be denigrating the image and not taking profit.
    So I don't understand all this tension and restrictions, I don't understand but respect.

Quote Originally Posted by yako2020 View Post
    I'm Brazilian and some "laws" are different here so I'll expose my line of thought:
    1 - The company authorized the creation and, in a way, the addition of resources that make it much easier to conduct adventures in GURPS.
    2 - Attaching a classic "adventure" will give both newbies and curious alike something to lean on.
    3 - Attaching the adventure or rather having a module is a new way to spread the materials, attracting attention to new ways of playing.
    4 - It would not be denigrating the image and not taking profit.
    So I don't understand all this tension and restrictions, I don't understand but respect.

Here is one way of looking at this and I will happily be corrected if I'm in error.

As I understand it, when you purchase an adventure from a game company you can do with your purchase what would normally be expected: run it as the GM with your players. If you decide to make a photocopy or scan of your purchase or save it as multiple PDFs, you can do this. It is your purchased copy for you to enjoy.

I believe that any of us who purchased the Caravan to Ein Arris adventure, whether as a PDF or paper version, can format it to use as an adventure on FGU.

Whether you do a full formatting of maps, NPCs, etc or not, that's up to you. The point is: you could then host a game with players. And you could run that adventure with different players as much as you wish. You purchased the product legally. You are playing the adventure you purchased. All you have done is put in the work to make the adventure you purchased into a FGU format to play on FGU.

As far as I understand it, this is, or should be, allowed.

What you can't do, however, is then take that formatted adventure and share it with others for them to use on FGU: whether by uploading it to a share site, loading it to the Forge, or whatever other means by which we might share the content. Why? It isn't our content to reproduce and share. Someone else can then get all that content for free, whereas SJG owns the rights to that content and should be getting the revenue as it is their product to sell, not ours to share.

So yes that means if someone else wants the Caravan to Ein Arris adventure to play on FGU they would need to format it from their own purchased copy and then host it as a GM for their players. We can't simply act from the premise that that since all of us purchased the adventure therefore we can freely share a FGU compatible version that one of us formatted.

And that isn't too different from what happens with DLC content on FGU anyway. If SJG ever enters into a licensing agreement with Smiteworks, we could purchase DLC content (wouldn't that be a dream?!). But even when we purchase that DLC content, we couldn't simply make copies of it and share it with others. Everyone has to buy their own DLC product to host their own games.

Not sure if that helps? And if I am horribly mistaken on some or all of this, perhaps someone can (and should) correct me.
    Rulesets:

Ultimate License Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Padre Moto View Post
    What you can't do, however, is then take that formatted adventure and share it with others for them to use on FGU: whether by uploading it to a share site, loading it to the Forge, or whatever other means by which we might share the content. Why? It isn't our content to reproduce and share.
    Correct.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

It was clear how water Padre Moto, but from what I remember to achieve this we would have to have reached a satisfactory number of players, something I know Ronnke and team tried, but if I remember more, the people of SJGames wanted their digital material to continue being in PDF, something that at the time the FGC could not stand and Do not know if the FGU will endure it one day and also do not know if it was the subject of closing an SJGames (GURPS) license with Smiteworks (Fantasy Grounds).
    I confess it would be a dream come true.

I don't know the reasons for why SJG wouldn't wish to license their material.

From what I've read on SJG forums and from perspectives of players here, it seems SJG may be very protective of their product, how it is marketed, and who gets to officially sell it. And this has much to do with quality control, I think as much as it does with making a profit on selling a license?

I'm not that familiar with licensing and what makes a company consider it or not. But if a small company like Goodman Games (DCC) can license their product on here, I can't see why SJG couldn't do the same. But that's just my perspective lol. Padre Moto would happily give cash to FGU/SJG DLC content. That much I know as an absolute certainty.
    Rulesets:

Ultimate License Holder

Thread Information