STAR TREK 2d20
Page 49 of 54 First ... 394748495051 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redba View Post
    Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen (DM not player):
    - Chapter 3: When Home Burns > Vogler Gazetteer > Mercenary Camp > two NPC link missing (add Gargonis / add Jeyev)
    - Chapter 3: When Home Burns > Vogler Gazetteer > Wharfinger’s Office > NPC link duplicated and written as Unidentified Creature instead of Wharfinger Umpton Lanth
    - Chapter 4: Shadow of War > Wheelwatch Outpost > W2: South Guard Tower > Encounter link dupklicated
    - Chapter 6: Dread Wolf Cove > Item Shard of Darkness link point to a blank item
    - Appendix B: Draconians > Draconian Sizes to Scale Image ..not possible to click and pop out
    - Reference Manual (both DM and Player) are totally unlocked
    Thanks. These have been addressed with a new update and in the new sticky thread here:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...510#post670510

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Thanks. These have been addressed with a new update and in the new sticky thread here:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...510#post670510
    Great work as always @ddavison.. And by the way I am very happy to see the builder unlocked to "abuse" of it!!! Thank you for your continued work and patience with us "roleplaying junkie nerds".. :-) Have a great day!!
    Daniele Roitero
    Trieste, Italy

Blog Entries

"Show DM Rolls" OFF, Dice for PC Saving Throw, Made by DM/GM, Shows in Player's Chat

When an NPC (Giant Spider) attacks and damages a PC and then a Saving Thow is required by the PC, if the DM/GM makes the saving throw from the Combat Tracker, from the NPCs actions, the value of the dice roll is displayed to the player in their chat even though the "Show GM Rolls" is set to "Off" in the Options Tool.

A screen shot is provided. The left portion of the screen shot is the DM instance, showing the DM's Chat Dialog, Options Tool Dialog, and Combat Tracker. The right portion shows the Player's Instance of the Chat Dialog. Note the Show GM rolls and Show results to client settings (circled in red).

There are NO extensions loaded.

The steps I took were, (1) the Giant Spider attacked, was successful and (2) a damage was applied to the PC. (Indicated with red lines.) Note that the rolls are hidden as indicated by the invisible (gray slashed eye) in the GM instance, but the results are reported. This is confirmed in the Player's instance.

But when I made the (3) Constitution saving throw, the dice roll was displayed (orange lines) in both the GM and Player instances.
    Untitled1.jpg

One might try to explain this away as the DM/GM making the roll for the Player, it's actually a Player roll not a DM roll. I call Shenanigans!! on this.

To validate my claim, I performed the same steps but instead of rolling the save from the DM's Combat Tracker I brought up the PC's Character Sheet and made the save from there. The roll was hidden (orange lines in the next screen shot). Because there isn't a context for the roll, from the Character Sheet like there is from the Combat Tracker there are no adjudicated results shown.
    Untitled2.jpg

By the way I made a Constitution check and Initative roll from the Combat Tracker's PC subwindow, a.k.a. "rolls by the DM on behalf of the Player", and both of them were hidden (no screen shot provided, I can if you want it.) To me this indicates invalidates any attempt to waive one's arms and try to explain this errant, inconsistent, behavior away as might be postulated, above.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Can you please provide the exact steps that you followed on the GM side? (i.e. double click on Spider attack, double click on Spider damage, double click on Spider Save, etc.) (or drag attack to PC token, etc.) (or whatever exact steps followed).
    The exact actions can be important in understanding what is happening; the single screenshot does not convey these exact steps.

Also, what are the specific options for Show GM Rolls (assuming off from post) and Show Results (assuming on from post)?

I just want to make sure I'm following what you are doing exactly in order to understand what you're trying to say should and shouldn't happen, and look at how it was designed and working now.

Regards,
    JPG

Also, if I understand what you are saying, then you are saying that the expected behavior is that rolls triggered by GM should behave differently than rolls triggered by player. Given that saving throws are "triggered" rolls that are always rolled on the GM client, since the "application" of the action isn't an actual roll but a request for a roll by another actor; this creates additional complexity in deciding how this should be handled.

Regards,
    JPG

I think I have a fix for what you are asking for; but I want to double check with the exact steps still.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Moon Wizard I am working on getting an answer back to you. I will endeavor to be as thorough and concise as possible. Thank you.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

@Moon Wizard

I apologize for the overly rigorous details presented below, I know you know all of the silly details that follow, but I said I'd be thorough.

Steps to repeat the issue:
    1. Open GM (host) instance of FG (5E ruleset, I haven't tested other rulesets.)
    2. Open the Options Tool editor and under the Game heading, ensure "Chat: Show GM rolls" is "Off" and "Chat: Show results to client" is "On". Then close the editor.
    3. Open the Modules dataset dialog and Activate the D&D Players Handbook. Then close the dialogs.
    4. Open the Combat Tracker. Delete all PCs and NPCs if there are any.
    5. Open the NPCs dataset dialog; scroll down to Giant Spider and drag it into the Combat Tracker. Close the dataset dialog.
    6. In the Combat Tracker click the Giant Spider's visibility icon to make it visible
    7. Open another instance of FG (player's instance) and join your campaign.
    8. Hopefully you have a list of pregen characters, pick one, I used a Barbarian, but it shouldn't matter.
    9. Once FG comes up and the Character Selection dialog comes up, pick your desired character.
    10. Back in the GM instance, drag the PC's portrait from the upper left of the tabletop into the Combat Tracker.
    11. Assign an initiative to the PC and NPC if needed, the PC's initiative should be something a little less than the Giant Spider's.
    12. Also make sure your PC's Hit Points (HP field) are sufficiently high, above say 20, so that a single damage roll doesn't kill your PC.
    13. Set it to be the Giant Spider's turn by clicking its turn indicator icon.
    14. Have the Giant Spider attack the PC by hovering over the Spider's Bite ATK Action and dragging it onto the NPC.
    15. If need be, attack again and again until the Spider successfully Hits the PC.
    16. Notice that in the GM instance the Dice rolls for the attempted attacks are displayed. They are displayed with the GM icon, followed by the Invisible icon, a description of the attack and the die icon and actual value plus modifiers inside a "bubble".
    17. This is followed by the Results: a Hit or Miss icon, a description of who attempted the attack, the total dice roll value, who was the intended target and the results of the attack, Hit or Miss.
    18. Now notice in the player's instance, the Results are shown but the Dice roll's information is not displayed (because of the Option Tool's setting).
    19. Once the Spider has successfully hit the PC, hover over and drag a damage roll (DMG) on to the PC from the Spider.
    20. Notice a similar display for damage as that of the Hit. Corresponding icons for the GM, the Invisibile or hidden roll, inflicted damage description and the actual Dice values are all displayed.
    21. Also note the actual inflicted damage results are displayed, by whom, on whom, with the values and any change in PC status.
    22. Similar to the previous Attack roll, the damage Dice roll is not shown in the player's instance of FG, but the resulting damage done is displayed.
    23. Now for the problem child!!
    24. Because the PC was hit they must now make a saving throw against the Giant Spider's venom. So hover of the saving throw (SAVEVS) and drag that dice roll on to the PC.
    25. Notice in both the player's instance and the GM's instance, the information reported is inconsistent with what occurred for the attack and damage rolls.
    26. The PC is reported to be the one who rolled the dice. It's not a hidden roll, the dice and values of the roll are shown in both instances (contrary to the Options setting)
    27. The results are shown in both instances as they should be.

[EDIT] late addition... it doesn't seem to matter if one drags and drops or sets targeting and double clicks, same issue occurs.

Now we can follow this up and ensure that that saving throw, made by the GM via the Combat Tracker is really displayed incorrectly / inconsistently.
    • In the Combat Tracker, click the icons for the PC's Offence and Defense stats (the little sword and little fist icons)
    • Either drag or double-click the Init field or any one of the Ability Score fields.
    • Note the Dice roll values display in the GM instance of FG but do not display in the Player's instance.
    • The auto death saving throw seems to me to be a really good parallel to the failing instance above yet it behaves properly.
    • Apply more damage to the PC until it dies.
    • Make sure "Combat: Auto death rolls" is set to "On" in the House Rules section of the Options Tool.
    • When the PC's status is Dying, it is Prone and Unconscious, with Wnd's equal to HP, then advance the turn to the PC.
    • An auto death saving throw will be effected and sure enough the Dice throw and values are show in the GM's instance but not the Player's instance.

So to recap, that one roll, the SAVE, is the only one that I have observed that breaks the Options Tool setting "Chat: Show GM rolls" as "Off".
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; December 8th, 2022 at 13:21.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Also, if I understand what you are saying, then you are saying that the expected behavior is that rolls triggered by GM should behave differently than rolls triggered by player. Given that saving throws are "triggered" rolls that are always rolled on the GM client, since the "application" of the action isn't an actual roll but a request for a roll by another actor; this creates additional complexity in deciding how this should be handled.
    Aargh. I don't know the triggering mechanisms. I haven't gone fishing in the code.
    All that I am saying is that, that specific roll, a save rolled by the DM on behalf of the player, is inconsistent with all other rolls that I've observed so far, made by the DM, if the Show DM rolls option is Off.

When that Option is Off, a GM dice roll, should not be displayed to the players. Irregardless of the type of roll, the triggering mechanisms, or what have you.
    Don't show it means don't show it.

I do remember seeing something along the lines of what you are speaking about in my Bardic Inspiration Die Extension.
    Saving throws presented a problem for me because the Actor argument assignments were reversed.
    Typically the "source" Actor was the one doing the attacking, the one doing the damaging, etc. And the "target" Actor was the one getting hit or getting damaged.
    But not so with Saves. The Actors were reversed until I started thinking about "point of view". I expected the source to be the Actor causing the saving throw, and the target to be the Actor doing the saving. But in fact the source is the one doing the saving and the target is the one causing the saving (if and when the target is even assigned).
    It threw me for a loop for a while.
    I hope I stated this correctly.

[EDIT] what I’m implying here is maybe something like that is going on here. The scripting is triggering off the Actors. If the Source Actor is an NPC make the dice roll secret. But if the Actors are reversed, because it’s a save, the secreting of the dice roll is not effected. But as I said, I haven’t looked at the code so it’s a wild eyed guess.

Thanks for looking into this Moon Wizard
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; December 8th, 2022 at 13:30.

Blog Entries
    In Crown of the Oathbreaker, I found a minor typo. The story group label for Chapter 4 - Introductory Adventures, Introductory is spelled wrong.

Thread Information