STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Interesting! Thanks for the guidance, Trenloe. I'll report back with my results!

Thanks again for this, Trenloe. Actually implementing the unbound search control works really well, and it fixes some another questionable issue I was having. Working really well now, thank you!

@Trenloe I think it's a similar problem I'm having here where I am using the combobox template. Internally, the combobox uses a simplestring too, so that is a shared node (when I change the value on the host, it changes on the client). I could use simplestringc to rebuild the combobox, but then is it possible to reference the combobox LUA script from CoreRPG? Or maybe there is a different way to "unlink" host/client in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by anathemort View Post
    @Trenloe I think it's a similar problem I'm having here where I am using the combobox template. Internally, the combobox uses a simplestring too, so that is a shared node (when I change the value on the host, it changes on the client). I could use simplestringc to rebuild the combobox, but then is it possible to reference the combobox LUA script from CoreRPG? Or maybe there is a different way to "unlink" host/client in this case?
    If you want the same data to be displayed on the GM and PC then tie it to a database node - the issue with this is that only the GM and an owning player (once ownership is granted) can change that data. Making assumptions from your XML code, the combox box will be on the character sheet? If so, then the GM and the owning player (the only person who can open the character sheet) will be able to change the combobox value, and this will be shown on both the GM side and the player side whoever makes the change - so you need to consider cases like this carefully as in gneral you don't want a PC sheet displaying differently (and therefore potentially running different code) on both the GM side and the player side as it could screw up the view/data for either the player or the GM and result in incorrect data on the character sheet. However, in this case as it's just a filter this may not be an issue - see the end of the next paragraph.

If it's a common window - like the party sheet, you don't want to use a database sourced control as then only the GM can change it and it would change for all players - unless this is the desired functionality. If you want combobox selections to be different across the GM and players then use the comboboxc template which uses a simplestringc template to store the selected value - the main gotcha here is that the result isn't stored in the database, so it won't persist between sessions of FG.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Trenloe, thanks for the dive. The comboboxc is exactly what I was looking for. In my case, I don't want the value persisted, nor do I want the filter shared, so simplestringc and comboboxc are perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by anathemort View Post
    Trenloe, thanks for the dive. The comboboxc is exactly what I was looking for. In my case, I don't want the value persisted, nor do I want the filter shared, so simplestringc and comboboxc are perfect.
    Great!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information