DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

skill rank question

new to ruleset. got a grasp of basic concepts. question though about skill ranks

so i have a new character with the "good tendons" special ability. he was a logger and has climbed LOTS of trees, even jumped from tree to tree, much like a (cough) monkey.

so my 1st thought is, give this guy some ranks in the climb skill. here is my issue. like with the languages (1 - 10) 1 is you can say a few words, 10 is you speak with philosophers. how do i do this for climb? i would guess a rank of 1 means you can climb a ladder with no penalties. what rank lets you climb trees with no penalty? i know the ranks for skills go beyond 10, like Sd is 19.

perhaps it goes like this? otto and his friend want to climb a tree. i guess as GM i must assign a difficulty? ok. hard. so otto with rank 4 would roll and get no penalty from the hard, because of his rank 4, the other person would get a -20 to the roll. but is hard, what you would call, climbing a tree? since absurd would be climbing a castle wall? this is where i get confused.

The Skills in RMC use a progression for each rank purchased.

Ranks 1-10 are worth 5 points each, Ranks 11-20 are worth 2 points each, then ranks 21-30 are worth 1 point each. This simulates what would happen in the real world, at first you get better quickly, but after a while it takes a lot more effort to advance a particular skill. If a character has zero ranks in a skill it is a -25 for anything involving that skill.

Most characters don't get beyond 30 ranks, but there are ways to continue the progression if needed.

Once you have the total number of ranks (if you put that into the character sheet for the skill in question) it will automatically calculate the Rank Bonus (Rk Bn on the sheet).

So for instance; a fighter has a cost of 3/7 for Climbing. That means the fighter can purchase up to two ranks in climbing per level, with the first rank costing 3 points and the second costing 7 (total of 10 points could be spent per level).

Here the fighter I have has 5 Ranks in Climb which gives a Rank Bonus of 25, plus a stat bonus of 5 (automatic from the Agility stat bonus), and a 3 for level bonus (1 per level at level 3), for a total of 33 (that 33 will be added to any D100 roll for the climbing skill).

From there, the player would select the difficulty of the maneuver (GM should supply this), then roll their climb skill, and if they use the shadow dice on the skill itself (double click the shadow dice, or grab them and drop them in the chat window), it will add their bonus (which includes the trained ranks, Stat bonus, and any other bonuses you might want to add like Level bonus, etc.).

So, I selected Very Hard and rolled (got a decent roll, open-ended on the high side for the first one, then it added the Skill Bonus of 33 for a total of 228):

You can see the Very Hard difficulty in the chat output.

On the GM screen, it will automatically open the Table resolver:

The GM can now click on the resolve button to resolve the roll (the GM can also right-click and choose Resolve from the right-click menu).

It has selected the correct column (Very Hard), and automatically highlighted the correct result.

The text from the result can be dragged to the chat window and it will post for all to see.

For results that are just numbers, that is the percentage of completion that the player was able to complete (out of 100%).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Sulimo; January 8th, 2022 at 04:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
    new to ruleset. got a grasp of basic concepts. question though about skill ranks

so i have a new character with the "good tendons" special ability. he was a logger and has climbed LOTS of trees, even jumped from tree to tree, much like a (cough) monkey.

so my 1st thought is, give this guy some ranks in the climb skill. here is my issue. like with the languages (1 - 10) 1 is you can say a few words, 10 is you speak with philosophers. how do i do this for climb? i would guess a rank of 1 means you can climb a ladder with no penalties. what rank lets you climb trees with no penalty? i know the ranks for skills go beyond 10, like Sd is 19.

perhaps it goes like this? otto and his friend want to climb a tree. i guess as GM i must assign a difficulty? ok. hard. so otto with rank 4 would roll and get no penalty from the hard, because of his rank 4, the other person would get a -20 to the roll. but is hard, what you would call, climbing a tree? since absurd would be climbing a castle wall? this is where i get confused.
    Generally special ability bonuses should go under the "Spec" column of a skill, it does reflect how many ranks they have developed, it just gives them extra bonuses because of some physical superiority (like good tendons).

ok. thanx. another question on skills.

so i developed a character. take the guy from above. created a special skill called "tree hopping" assigned some ranks to that and other skills picked up as an adolescence. then i go and spend the skill points i have from my stats. it was like 35? for primary and secondary total. so i use the points and apply.

so to now bring the character to 1st level, i do a stat gain roll. seems like you get only 1 or 2 skill points, according to your primary stats. seems like there is not much you can do with only 1 or 2. yet in a video, i see a character add 20 points to learn a new spell list? and that is in addition to gaining other skills.

where are they getting all those points?

and while i am at it, when you determine hit points, for a common man i roll a d8 for each rank in BD to get my starting HPs. when i gain level 2, do i only roll a d8 and add that to my HPs? or do i roll a number of d8s equal to my current BD?

so i developed a character. take the guy from above. created a special skill called "tree hopping" assigned some ranks to that and other skills picked up as an adolescence. then i go and spend the skill points i have from my stats. it was like 35? for primary and secondary total. so i use the points and apply.

so to now bring the character to 1st level, i do a stat gain roll. seems like you get only 1 or 2 skill points, according to your primary stats. seems like there is not much you can do with only 1 or 2. yet in a video, i see a character add 20 points to learn a new spell list? and that is in addition to gaining other skills.

and while i am at it, when you determine hit points, for a common man i roll a d8 for each rank in BD to get my starting HPs. when i gain level 2, do i only roll a d8 and add that to my HPs? or do i roll a number of d8s equal to my current BD?

Any cost with a star (for example 1/*) means you can develop as many ranks as you want based on your DPs based on the first number. So for example spell development at 1/* you can spend 20 DPs which gives you 20 ranks and a 100% chance to learn the spell list.

For BD, you get one role per rank developed.

When you Add New Ranks, it does not clear the New column automatically. Click to Clear New Ranks to clear the those out (unless you want to develop the exact same skills the next level), this will give you all of you DPs for that level (including any gained by Stat Gain).

Here is a pic:

For the most part with Body Development, you put your Rolls into the Rk Bn Column. When you add a Rank to BD, Roll again, and add that to the current Rk Bn Column. So if you have 15 in the Rk Bn Column, and you roll a 6, adjust it to 21. The rest of the Hit points should adjust automatically. It won't necessarily be 1-1 on the BD to HP, because of the way the formula works.

Just in case you are curious, HP is derived using the following method:

Start with Con Stat/10 as your Base Hits (round up).

Every time you increase Body Dev, roll for each rank and add that to the Base Hits.

From there, the following formula is used:

Total Hits (HP) = Base Hits + (Base Hits X (Con Bonus (not the stat)/100)) Round Down.

FG Does this calculation for you, so you only need to add your Rolls to the Rk Bn column.

Let us know if you have further questions.

ok.

so when a common man gains a level, they get to roll a d8 and add that to the current Rk Bn value, and that will in turn adjust the HP on the main tab of the character sheet?

again on skills. so my guy gains level 2. rolls a stat gain. get maybe 2 -4 points to spend on skills. i have read that these points can not be saved. must be used or you lose them. 2 - 4 is barely enough to raise one skill one level. is that how it is suppose to be? suppose my guy uses his weapon a lot. kills many creatures. but gets like 2 points to spend on skills. really not enough to reflect the fact, he really used that sword a lot!! he should get an extra level. i suppose as GM i can just say hey! here is a bonus, but that seems to easy.

ok.

so when a common man gains a level, they get to roll a d8 and add that to the current Rk Bn value, and that will in turn adjust the HP on the main tab of the character sheet?
    That is correct, if they only bought one Rank, if they are a Profession that allows for more than one Rank per level, they might be able to roll 2d8 and add that to the Rk Bn value. Either way, it will update the HP on the main tab of the character sheet.

again on skills. so my guy gains level 2. rolls a stat gain. get maybe 2 -4 points to spend on skills. i have read that these points can not be saved. must be used or you lose them. 2 - 4 is barely enough to raise one skill one level. is that how it is suppose to be? suppose my guy uses his weapon a lot. kills many creatures. but gets like 2 points to spend on skills. really not enough to reflect the fact, he really used that sword a lot!! he should get an extra level. i suppose as GM i can just say hey! here is a bonus, but that seems to easy.
    You have it correct in the first part of your question. Development Points are use it or lose it. If they are not used when they are granted at level up, they are lost.

A couple of things players can do:

1. Obtain a new skill, there are plenty of skills that require 2 or so points (at least for the first rank). There are also lots of Secondary Skills (see #3).
    2. If the character has more than one rank in a particular skill for that level (anything with something like 2/7, or 3/7, etc.) they could go down to just one rank instead of two and put the left over DPs into another skill that might allow them to use their DPs more efficiently.
    3. Primary Skill DPs can be transferred 1-1 to Secondary Skills, so they could obtain a new secondary skill or enhance one they already have. NOTE: Secondary Skill DPs cannot be transferred to Primary, it's one way only.

It's all about finding the most efficient way to spend the DPs each level.

ok, my question is still not getting answered.

character is being created. i assign, as GM, adolescent skills. take my guy from above. he was a lumberer. chopped down trees a lot. so as GM, i give him 1 rank in BD. plus i give him some other skills. like climb rank 2. made up a skill, tree hopping 2.

now stats are rolled, and the 1st 6 stats are what generates your skill points. say...35. at this point, a spell caster can use 20pts and basically learn a spell list. my fighter put pts in BD, weapons, armor, to name a few. all my skill points are spent, i am still level 0.

now i advance the character to level 1. roll stat gain. multiple rolls have shown me that the avg. skill point gain is like 2 - 4 pts. how on earth is a spell caster to gain another spell list? 4pt seems like a very small chance. lets say my fighter put 3 more ranks in BD. i now have 4. BD is a 1/3 for me. so every level i want is going to cost me 3 skill points. what if i never gain that many during a level increase? i will have a level 10 fighter with 17 hit points because some one above said i get to roll more hit points only if i increase BD. i thought every level gain, i got to roll a d8 for my common man, for every level of BD so every time my fighter gains a level, unless the rank goes up, i get a 4d8 each level increase, yes?

so i guess my question is, are the number of skill points earned each level really that low?

ok, my question is still not getting answered.

character is being created. i assign, as GM, adolescent skills. take my guy from above. he was a lumberer. chopped down trees a lot. so as GM, i give him 1 rank in BD. plus i give him some other skills. like climb rank 2. made up a skill, tree hopping 2.

now stats are rolled, and the 1st 6 stats are what generates your skill points. say...35. at this point, a spell caster can use 20pts and basically learn a spell list. my fighter put pts in BD, weapons, armor, to name a few. all my skill points are spent, i am still level 0.

now i advance the character to level 1. roll stat gain. multiple rolls have shown me that the avg. skill point gain is like 2 - 4 pts. how on earth is a spell caster to gain another spell list? 4pt seems like a very small chance. lets say my fighter put 3 more ranks in BD. i now have 4. BD is a 1/3 for me. so every level i want is going to cost me 3 skill points. what if i never gain that many during a level increase? i will have a level 10 fighter with 17 hit points because some one above said i get to roll more hit points only if i increase BD. i thought every level gain, i got to roll a d8 for my common man, for every level of BD so every time my fighter gains a level, unless the rank goes up, i get a 4d8 each level increase, yes?

so i guess my question is, are the number of skill points earned each level really that low?
    No. Each level you get your full DP, not just those gained via Stat Gain.

Depending on the Character stats, it will be around 30-40 DPs per level.

So to simplify things a bit, I have created a fighter. I'll cover your question about spell users in a different post.

All stats are Potential of 100 with a Temp of 80, actual rolls will create a different mix, but I wanted to have something simple to start from.

Note that the first 5 Stats determine how many Development Points the character will have per level. For this fighter he will have 35 DPs to start with.

Next would usually be background options, but it's not necessary for this discussion, so, next is to do Adolescent skills.

For Adolescent skills, it's basically just treated as a level, so this fighter has 35 Primary DPs and 8 Secondary DPs.

To simplify, add all Primary and All Secondary skills via the buttons.

Now I need to spend the 35 points for Primary and 8 for Secondary.

Here I have spend all of the points (remaining Zero). You can also see the DPs spent in the far right column.

I would click the Add new Ranks button (it will show in chat).

Now I click Clear New Ranks to clear out that column for the next level (you can see it now shows the full 35+8 DPs available again).

Now the character is Level 0.

The Stat Gain Rolls are rolled, and I click Apply to apply the rolls (one stat went down, so that will rake away some of the DPs, others went up, so those will add to the DP total).

Now, if I look at Skill Development again, it will show the new total of 40 DPs for Primary, and 10 for Secondary, for a total of 50 Development Points.

Then I do the same process as above for the Adolescent, except I am going from level 0 to level 1, this time spending a bit more points than the last time (50 total instead of 43).

I would click on Add new Ranks, and that would add all of those new ranks.

I also click Remove Untrained Primary and Secondary skills to clean up the list to only those skills I have trained.

Then I would click Clear New Ranks to get ready for the next level.

Now I could update the character sheet to Level 1.

I have not rolled Body Dev yet, but that is pretty straight forward. I have 4 total ranks in Body Dev (2 from Adolescence and 2 from Level 0 to Level 1). I rolled a total of 21.

I use the RM2 option for Level Bonuses. Here is the table that shows those:

Outdoor Skills are somewhat subjective and GMs ultimate prerogative.

HP on the main page (calculated automatically, in this case it is the same as the Body Dev total).

The next level would be the same process, do the Stat Gain first, then develop the skills.

Thread Information