5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Customer Service Request

Care about your customers' needs.

Please realize that your product is no ordinary piece of software. It involves multiple people committing a sizable time investment. When it does not work, or works in unexpected ways, it has inconvenienced many people in more ways than one.

With multiple free alternatives to your software available (and one in particular gaining on you with amazing speed), your customers have chosen to financially support your efforts because we believe in your product. Please don't betray our faith in you.

At the moment I am unable to prepare for my weekly campaign that is scheduled for tomorrow night. I erroneously thought I had an updater error and reinstalled the application. Now I cannot start the application at all. I've posted in the forum. I am not the only customer to have this problem. I've sent an email to support. No response.

I've spent much of my afternoon familiarizing myself with MapTool. Will I be forced to use it?

Yeah dude i´m with you!!! I have the same problem and no one cares about us...
    Religion is an insult to human dignity.
    With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion...

no one cares about us...
    At the risk of sounding like a keener, I have to say that is simply not true. I think the support for this product is sometimes hard to fathom but they definately care about their customers.

Myself, and many others on the boards, try to give what help we can out of comraderie and fair play. Unfortunately I haven't been around to read any postings you have made about the details of your problem.

Could you explain the breadth of the dilemma and the hardware you using?

Or give me a link to where the problem is explained?

Sometimes the networking is a little tricky or the installer has a hiccup. Installation\deinstallation is not always straight forward under any operating system, perhaps we can help you with any problems.

I hear that you are frustrated. Good for you, making your voice heard.

What is the problem?

Sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

I happen to know that Ged's wife went into labor the other day, so please be patient. It would also help to post your problem to the board as there is a chance someone here may be able to help.

I will send them a personal email too and see.

Congratulations to Ged on his new arrival.

Thanks in advance to Sigurd and Thore for their help.

All I really ask for is a "Yeah, we acknowledge your problem and here's what we're doing to fix it." This is what seems to be lacking most of all. Instead, we get no answers. I hope Ged isn't the only person responsible for customer support. Maybe someone else should help out while his family needs him.

Here is the thread detailing my problem.

https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7084

It seems to be an updater issue. The easiest answer is to post a link to the full current installation, or find some way of bypassing the updater.

I don't think smiteworks realizes how closed mouthed they seem from user space. Although talking too much can be a problem I think they could indeed have more communication with their user base.

anyway,

From your thread I think you have a problem with your registry or the persistence of parts of the program. Make sure you are running as 'Administrator' or have administrator priveledges for your account. I am assuming you are both using WinXP in a real, not virtual, machine.

My suggestion.

1. Check your windows event viewer for anything else wierd happening on your computer.

2. Go into your registry and look for:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0
    Start by, simply look at all the FG entries.
    Then Maybe export the Fantasy Grounds entry.

2nd - back up all your custom rulesets etc..... and uninstall.
    Then erase the directories created by the program (Cant hurt)
    Reboot and check the registry for the old key. I don't think it should be there.

3rd - reinstall and just make sure the program works - before you update.

4th - try the updater before you add the custom stuff.

See what sort of results you get.

Sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

I did all that to no avail.

Running the updater is integrated into the installation.

I also cannot bypass the updater if I run FantasyGrounds.exe

I notice there is a version key that reads:

0x000000c8 (200)

Perhaps the updater is reading this?

0x000000c8 (200)
    Thats the same version key I have and it doesn't force updates on me. I suspect your problem is in the line above that one "UpdateCheck".

Did you check to see if the unistaller removed the registry keys? If the problem is the installer, corrupted file or whatever, then there really isn't a lot another user can do to help you. Can you re-download the installer?

I'm not trying to pass the buck but I don't feel comfortable hacking the registry for the program in an open message board.

I'm sure some developer will get a hold of you soon in email. This stuff is better handled with a little bit of privacy. I think the strange thing about smiteworks is that sometimes their silence is worse than anything they could reasonably tell us. But try not to be discouraged or get impatient - it won't help and I think it _will work out_.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Sigurd

Ok so on my side the uninstaller removes everthing including the key (that pisses me off because i use FG 1.05f in some games) i remove the rest of the files and i install the program again no problem...when i open the program it auto update with no chance of avoid and crash but i did notice that if you copy the files from an update (i have a .rar with the program files of version 2.011) it works...and the program always worked out very good with version 2.0.12 but by some reason i dont understand it started to flash an update without existing any updates!!! after that the update 2.1 was availble and then when i try to update it goes down and because of that i uninstall and clean the registry like some ppl said but with no luck i downloaded the installer again from the link they gave us and the same crap if you say that the problem is not from the updater how do you explain this things that happen to me??
    Thanks
    Last edited by Blue Haven; September 11th, 2007 at 07:10.
    Religion is an insult to human dignity.
    With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion...

Thread Information