DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How to do poison damage

Hi. I'm new to using Mongoose Traveller 2e on Fantasy Grounds. I'm putting in an adventure I have, but one of the NPCs is an animal with a stinger that does 1D of poison to Dex & Int. I am trying to figure out how to parse this properly in the NPC statblock. Any help would be most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesternario View Post
    Hi. I'm new to using Mongoose Traveller 2e on Fantasy Grounds. I'm putting in an adventure I have, but one of the NPCs is an animal with a stinger that does 1D of poison to Dex & Int. I am trying to figure out how to parse this properly in the NPC statblock. Any help would be most appreciated.
    Great Question!

At the moment there's no facility for Poison damage as like a number of things in Traveller the details of what the poison does are in the description rather than a fixed method. There is a POISON damage type, but it doesn't do anything special at the moment.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Thank you for the info. I hope you can fix that in the future. For now though, I'll just have to tell players "Hey, that creeper just did four damage to your int and dex, please adjust."

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Great Question!

At the moment there's no facility for Poison damage as like a number of things in Traveller the details of what the poison does are in the description rather than a fixed method. There is a POISON damage type, but it doesn't do anything special at the moment.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Such conditions are made worse though, by the fact that Characteristic modifiers aren't ready correctly on both PC sheets and NPC sheets. If the case of such a poison, if I enter a negative value in the Mod box for Dexterity, the Dexterity DM displays the correct adjusted value. However, that adjusted characteristic DM isn't correctly read when a skill or a weapon attack is double-clicked. In the case of a NPC, if I lower their Dexterity enough to result in a lower DM, again it isn't read correctly for a Skill roll or weapon attack roll. If those were working, at least we could temporarily modify the PC and NPC sheets to reflect the result of a 1D ongoing damage to the characteristic. As it stands, the only way I can do it is to use the desktop Modifier box, which is a bit of a pain.

You should at least have the ability to do simple effect coding. "DMG: 1D6; poison". Even a simple "DMG: 1D6" would be an improvement. I just can't find any Keyword combinations that work. If anybody knows please share.

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit57 View Post
    You should at least have the ability to do simple effect coding. "DMG: 1D6; poison". Even a simple "DMG: 1D6" would be an improvement. I just can't find any Keyword combinations that work. If anybody knows please share.
    It doesn't give a poison status. It is a poison that deals 1d6 damage to Dexterity and Intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesternario View Post
    It doesn't give a poison status. It is a poison that deals 1d6 damage to Dexterity and Intellect.
    Yeah, my understanding of how to handle it is to roll 1d6 and then enter the result as a negative value in the Mod box on the character sheet for the affected Characteristic. Of course, being able to do that in a CT Effect would be that much better, because players/GMs would be less likely to forget about it. The problem though, is that the damage entered in the characteristic's Mod box while changing the DM, doesn't get applied as a penalty to any skill or weapon attack rolls that're links to that characteristic. I'm still relatively new to MgT2e so maybe I'm getting it wrong, but it seems to me that if the damage is enough to lower a characteristic's DM, it should also be reflected in any skills or weapon attacks.

Poison is a special case and would require special handling even in 5e I think.
    And I believe you are correct. Lower stats should be reflected in skills.
    There is still a lot of stuff right now that needs to be handled manually, just like playing Tabletop. I think people have just gotten used to the computer doing everything. Hoping that improves with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit57 View Post
    There is still a lot of stuff right now that needs to be handled manually, just like playing Tabletop. I think people have just gotten used to the computer doing everything. Hoping that improves with time.
    My problem though, is that the players I can get interested in a Traveller campaign also know the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition rules. With the FGU SWADE ruleset all these sorts of things are automated, including a big list of effects. Not to mention that Vehicles can be dropped into the Combat Tracker. I'm finding that despite beginning homebrews with the MgT2e ruleset, the missing things are enough of an impediment that I'm soon porting them over to SWADE w/Science Fiction Companion. I really want to homebrew with MgT2e which has some features I prefer and is better suited to some SciFi subgenres my players and I like, but running it is a bigger effort.

Thread Information