STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Farnaby View Post
    What modules are those? I probably haven't purchased them yet.

But anyway, Hey, this is great!
    The Wild Beyond the Witchlight and Fizban's Treasury of Dragons.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Aaaah, I'm a PF2e player.
    That's why I haven't seen them.

Anyway again thanks for adjusting your LOS lines.
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett [RIP] - Jingo

Quote Originally Posted by Farnaby View Post
    Brilliant, thanks very much.
    I'm glad you think the same way as me.
    I'm going to run Strength of Thousands in February so this is good news.
    I'm also running AP1 of the Extinction Curse and I would be glad to export my LOS adjustments and send them to you if it would save your eyesight.
    Thanks Farnaby - much appreciated. I'll be glad to use what you have already done. It will help get that out earlier for others.

Not sure if you can PM a file through this system so I sent you a PM with my email address.

Thanks again,
    Danny
    Developer for lots of adventures, particularly 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, and Pathfinder 2E

Timezone: US Eastern Time
    Ultimate License Holder

I lobbied for this in beta. It's important to see the walls instead of just blackness. Glad it's being changed!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    I lobbied for this in beta. It's important to see the walls instead of just blackness. Glad it's being changed!
    Here here!

I might be able to use some of the included maps now. Here's hoping this becomes the new standard for all module authors.

Seems a programmatic update to allow the Dm to set a pixel offset to wall Los per map would be a way to handle the issue on a per case basis, without a ton of manual work replacing all the currently implemented walls.

Quote Originally Posted by rcfouts View Post
    Seems a programmatic update to allow the Dm to set a pixel offset to wall Los per map would be a way to handle the issue on a per case basis, without a ton of manual work replacing all the currently implemented walls.
    Welcome to the FG forums.

That's a good idea. Unfortunately wall occluders don't know which is the inside or the outside of a wall, so an offset like this can't be accurately applied unless there's also some method of indicating what's the inside/outside of an occluder.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Welcome to the FG forums.

That's a good idea. Unfortunately wall occluders don't know which is the inside or the outside of a wall, so an offset like this can't be accurately applied unless there's also some method of indicating what's the inside/outside of an occluder.
    How I would picture it is based off the site point. For this purpose, everything occluded is the "inside" since we are just trying to show the wall or object lines. The bigger question I think would be performance, as I would imagine the occlusion zones are "probably" calculated for each possible point when the map is loaded, and not updated as the tokens move, which would be what is required for a change such as I am suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanitywiz View Post
    How I would picture it is based off the site point. For this purpose, everything occluded is the "inside" since we are just trying to show the wall or object lines. The bigger question I think would be performance, as I would imagine the occlusion zones are "probably" calculated for each possible point when the map is loaded, and not updated as the tokens move, which would be what is required for a change such as I am suggesting.
    Hi Insanitywiz,

Welcome to the FG Forums.

I wish it were that easy - I wouldn't have so much work to do to retool my maps.

The problem is unless you had some super AI, I'm not sure how the system would determine inside from outside. There are some cases where it might but a lot of cases where it couldn't determine the proper direction. Even Adobe Photoshop, which tends to be on the forefront of graphics manipulation has a tool to select an object out of a photo or other editing auto features, but they only work part of the time and in the right conditions.

I suspect the best we might be able to hope for is an occluder setting interface that is easier. I say this because SmiteWorks has already made it easier to do from version alpha/beta. I have faith that things will get easier, but it takes time.
    Developer for lots of adventures, particularly 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, and Pathfinder 2E

Timezone: US Eastern Time
    Ultimate License Holder

Quote Originally Posted by sciencephile View Post
    Hi Insanitywiz,

The problem is unless you had some super AI, I'm not sure how the system would determine inside from outside
    I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well here, the program already knows to draw the occlusion based off of the site point (player tokens in the examples in the OP), the suggestion is to have it to update those occlusions to be a n pixels further away from their map reference points, from that site point. i.e. If the token were below the wall, and the pixel offset was set to 2, the occlusion area would draw starting two pixels higher on the map Z axis relative to that token. Would need to do the math to extrapolate the correct vectors for movement when it isn't a straight on x or y change. There is no need to know inside and outside, only to know the site point (player token). Again though, I suspect making the occlusions move on the client dynamically as the site point (player token) moves would be a fairly significant re-work, unless they already re-calculate as the site point (player token) moves to reveal LOS, which I doubt as would be pretty resource inefficient without a specific need to do it that way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just tossing ideas, every codebase has it's own fun happy foibles, especially ones that are being actively developed/added too. I work on a 20 year old MMO, so I well know the issues of code stacked on code stacked on code, and none of it doing what it was originally design for! Sometimes even if something is possible, it might not be possible with the resources at hand.

Regardless, love the program and all you folks do for it! Wouldn't have been able to continue running games over the last couple years without it!

Thread Information