Starfinder Playlist

Test Env Campaign Image Maps Experiencing Latency Issues

Hello all,

I've been editing 5 different map images then exporting them into a module which I am hosting as a Cloud/Private, but also experiencing the delays in a LAN campaign. Each map has multiple layers, as I like to keep separate my different sub-structures, image overlays, LoS, etc.

As I've been editing them more and more, adding lots of LoS, smaller image files for granular detail, etc, I've noticed that the performance of image movement on the 'map', both as a DM and as a DM previewing the player p.o.v., has become increasingly sluggish. The character token doesn't respond immediately and 'teleports' after movement, tiles are slower to move both manually and via keyboard, new image drops are appearing more slowly. At this point, it has become unplayable due to the latency issues.

It almost appears as if I've hit some limitation(s) on the platform performance for one or more functionalities.

Are there any known limitations to count of images, LoS configs, etc for the maps before performance degrades?

I'm inclinded toward platform limitations due to the PC specs/configs for my machine:

CORSAIR ONE i200 Compact Gaming PC - Intel Core i9-11900K CPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Graphics - 32GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 Memory

Please and thank you for any and all assistance!

Happy to provide the module with the maps, if desired, or any other troubleshooting steps/logs.

Some thoughts:
    * Not sure from description what you are doing; but each image record should only contain a single map. Trying to layer them all in one image record where you turn layers on/off will cause too much data to be processed.
    * Adding more data to an image will create increasing workload for the clients. If you are running into sluggishness when particular maps are open, then you should look at breaking up the maps (or creating encounter areas with higher detail as separate images), or simplifying the LoS points (there is a simplify tool).
    * You should review the sizes of the images you are using to make sure they are reasonable. We recommend maps under 4Kx4K resolution for best performance across a variety of machines and network conditions.

If you've already looked at the above items, you can also send a copy of module to support team, and I can see if I can get our image developer to look at it. However, most likely, he will suggest simplifying data as I mentioned above.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    If you are dragging the mouse around to make LOS lines, then you might have too many LOS points. The total # of segments that it has to evaluate with each addition, movement of tokens, etc., can really start to slow it down beyond a certain point. In many cases, you don't need that much fidelity in LOS lines.

Thanks, you two. Both comments help. I am guilty of excessive terrain LoS'ing, as I had the idea that I wanted to be able to turn the LoS for all crate sized and larger objects in case combat was ever engaged on any map.

Will review and perform some optimizations.

Barring that, as quick aside: Is there a way to 'select' a specific set of images, or a folder, and export just that data (and not the entire collective map) to a new image file in or out of game?

Blog Entries
    Yes, wen you go to the /export menu, you can drag and drop individual records onto the UI and it will just export those. Note that exporting a map/image does not export all the assets used in that map.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

LordEntrails, thanks for that. I was aware of that one and was more curious if there is a way to perform a broad click + select feature for images, similar to how LoS points may be targeted en masse. I haven't found a way to do that, yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhela View Post
    LordEntrails, thanks for that. I was aware of that one and was more curious if there is a way to perform a broad click + select feature for images, similar to how LoS points may be targeted en masse. I haven't found a way to do that, yet.
    Nope, it's all objects of a class, or one at a time :|

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you for the clarification.

Thread Information