DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Two DMs, one household

My spouse and I are looking at making the jump from using Roll20 to Fantasy Grounds, and we were planning to just go ahead and get a lifetime Ultimate key, but I’m looking at the EULA and it seems to be suggesting that if we want to continue taking turns DMing (my spouse runs a Monday night campaign while I run on Wednesdays) we’ll need to shell out for two copies of the ultimate key. Am I reading this correctly? For reference, we each have our own computer in different rooms to prevent seeing things on each others screens.

Blog Entries
    Well you can install the same license on both systems. A lot of people have multiple installs on say a desktop plus a laptop. Technically it's against the T&C but Smiteworks has historically been understanding of the use case.

But you wouldn't be able to "connect to yourself" from one computer to the other using the same license.

If you get Ultimate license, it may be possible to also install a unkeyed demo version on the same two computers.

So when one person runs a game from computer A the other connects with the demo on computer B... and vice versa.

But... I'm not sure if that would work. Perhaps someone more technically savvy would know.
    Last edited by JohnD; December 16th, 2021 at 14:54.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

You need two licenses if you GM at the same time or you risk to do so. Otherwise if you are same family and will never use the account at the same time, then take only one Ultimate.

You can always add a second one at a later stage,

If you use the game a lot I advice to buy 2 (two) Ultimate licenses , pay 2 and you will never think about it again. I own the ultimate since 2016....

Worth every penny.
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

Blog Entries
    As said by JohnD, SmiteWorks has said on the forums that they are comfortable with family members in the same household using the same license. The challenge in your case may be in terms of how you use computers, because a client can not connect to a host if they are using the same license key. That would mean you would have to remove/add the license key back and forth each session if you each GM from your own computer (or do something like a VM on each computer and put a player install in the VM). But, if you both GM from the same computer, then you could just leave one as the GM computer and the other as the player computer.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    One thing to consider is that with two licenses you will also need to potentially buy DLC twice as well.

IMO better to use the one Ultimate license, buy any DLC under that ID and have a secondary Demo account installed in a different location on the computer (if possible) to use when playing in each other's game.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

You can install FGU on two different machines but as noted above you can't have both running at the same time otherwise you'll get a license key conflict. Whoever isn't GMing could remove the key from their machine and do an update thus reverting the program to a demo version. This would be fiddly but a much better solution that installing two versions of FGU on each machine (that will lead to all sorts of issues).

Also welcome to FGU.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It would be helpful to have a family membership where all content can be shared across a limited number of devices under the same license. Having to make multiple purchases of the same content when in the same household is like having 4 copies player's handbooks, 4 copies of the DM Guide, 4 copies of Tashas, 4 copies of Zanathars all on the bookshelf for each person in a house. This is too great a burden on a family.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dar View Post
    It would be helpful to have a family membership where all content can be shared across a limited number of devices under the same license. Having to make multiple purchases of the same content when in the same household is like having 4 copies player's handbooks, 4 copies of the DM Guide, 4 copies of Tashas, 4 copies of Zanathars all on the bookshelf for each person in a house. This is too great a burden on a family.
    Ask support.fantasygrounds.com to be sure. But I think the statement above applies to accounts and content as well.
    edit: besides, as core FG, only the GM needs DLC anyway. They can share it in game with anyone connected to their game. It's what I do with my son and brother.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Ask support.fantasygrounds.com to be sure. But I think the statement above applies to accounts and content as well.
    edit: besides, as core FG, only the GM needs DLC anyway. They can share it in game with anyone connected to their game. It's what I do with my son and brother.
    A family membership with shared content that would make it possible for family members to DM two different campaigns simultaneously.

Blog Entries
    Simultaneous as it having the play sessions at the exact same time (Tuesday 5:30pm...) then that will require 2 licenses. Simultaneous as one game on Tuesdays and one on Sundays then 1 license.

Thread Information