DICE PACKS BUNDLE

SWADE Client - can't View Map Images & Extreme Lag

This just started occurring in A Weird Wars II campaign I'm playing in. When the GM shares a map it usually doesn't appear on my FGU desktop. When I do get the map it's completely black and images for objects like tokens appears as boxes with red X's through them - sometime very large boxes and red X's. The grid overlay for the map does display. In the 1 session in which a completely blacked out map appeared on my FGU desktop, I experienced extreme lag - GM had to literally move my token. Which is very strange considering I have relatively high-speed Internet of roughly 42 Mbps download and 66 Mbps upload. During that session I exited and rebooted my PC, but the lag and map not displaying persisted when I reconnected. Meanwhile I ran a netspeed test in the background and it completed fine with the expected bandwidth.

It seems to be campaign related because in a Deadlands Weird West campaign the following week, the GM's shared maps displayed correctly and I played lag free. In another Weird Wars session since, a map never appeared on my desktop when the GM shared it. I seem to be the only player that can't display maps correctly, although other players have at times experienced very high lag when they're shared. I've checked the security on my Internet router and Windows Firewall, but there's nothing there that would impede the FGU connection for my PC. The GM has tried turning lighting off and on, but to no avail. He's also tried deleting my token from the map and Combat tracker and then re-adding it to the CT and map, but it doesn't help. Meanwhile, every other aspect of the session is fine - problems only occur with maps. I'd need to contact the GM to be sure, but I'm fairly certain the GM is hosting the game from the FGU cloud.

This is definitely the strangest thing I've encountered yet for any FGU ruleset and I've never encountered something similar with CoC 7, MgT2e, 13th Age or D&D 5e session. If anyone has any suggestions how to troubleshoot or fix this, I'd appreciate hearing about them.
    Last edited by kronovan; December 10th, 2021 at 01:17.

Does this happen only with Weird Wars?
    Does this happen only with a specific GM / host? If so, does it always happen with that GM, or only sometimes?
    Are you sure the versions of CoreRPG, SWADE, and FGU are the same between you and the GM? Different versions of any of those can cause strange behavior.
    The next time it happens, create a log file and ask your GM to do the same. The logs might hold clues.
    Has the GM tried turning off extensions? Some extensions interfere with maps and tokens. Many extensions made for all CoreRPG games don't play well with Savage Worlds.

You could try a manual update. Sometimes that clears things up. I'd do that as a first step.

Thanks for the reply Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    Does this happen only with Weird Wars?
    yes
    Does this happen only with a specific GM / host? If so, does it always happen with that GM, or only sometimes?
    It's a fairly new development in the campaign, but 2 things appear to be consistent now; a shared map doesn't display for me, or it it does it doesn't display correctly like I mentioned above. I don't play in any other campaigns that use the Weird Wars II mod, but I'm playing in a Deadlands Weird West campaign and shared maps work fine for me.
    Are you sure the versions of CoreRPG, SWADE, and FGU are the same between you and the GM?
    Yes
    Has the GM tried turning off extensions? Some extensions interfere with maps and tokens. Many extensions made for all CoreRPG games don't play well with Savage Worlds.
    Only your Character Advances Tab extension.
    You could try a manual update. Sometimes that clears things up. I'd do that as a first step.
    I've done such in the past for my Ultimate install, but I'm not sure if the GM has done that, so I'll ask him to.

Since posting earlier, one thing I've done is delete the contents of my local \Cache folder for this particular campaign. My thought was that maybe a file in it might have become corrupted. Our next session is about 1-1/2 weeks from now, so I won't know until then if that helps.

Thread Information