STAR TREK 2d20

Update, Install, uninstall problems

My SSD C: drive is small and mostly just runs windows.
    My D: drive is almost full and has regular FG Ultimate for some reason Unity gets confused if I try installing both FG versions to the same drive.
    My E: drive is less than a year old and where I ended up having to install FG Unity (see above)

After installing FG Unity it does not show up in the start menu, only Classic FG does. This has always been an issue.

Every time there is a FG Unity update my FantasyGrounds.exe just disappears. Then I can't run the game. I then have to restart the computer, install it again, restart again then it works until the next update. I will have for some reason lost all my added rule sets and campaign information during this process. This has now been going on for about 3 months.

I've tried uninstalling but it just doesn't do anything at all. I'm getting extremely frustrated with this software, I've lost hours of work and missed several games already.

I've attached both error messages I get.

263192799_301668945183573_7088380859851552517_n.png

262819769_438277511091137_4818131323545827010_n.png

I hope someone will be able to tell me what is wrong with this software. Ideally I'd rather just have both FG on the same drive, show up in the start menu, and just work.

Unity should show up as Smiteworks on your start menu whilst Classic shows as Fantasy Grounds (I just looked - first time I've looked for them on the start menu). I have both on my taskbar and that works for me.

At a gueass I'd say that there's maybe some kind of permissions issue here. That you don't have full read/write permission for the installation location or your anti virus is affecting FGs operation. Have you tried installing to the default locations? And if so does the problems go away?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Unity should show up as Smiteworks on your start menu whilst Classic shows as Fantasy Grounds (I just looked - first time I've looked for them on the start menu). I have both on my taskbar and that works for me.

At a gueass I'd say that there's maybe some kind of permissions issue here. That you don't have full read/write permission for the installation location or your anti virus is affecting FGs operation. Have you tried installing to the default locations? And if so does the problems go away?
    I can't install to the default locations as I stated in the post my C: drive is just a small SSD that runs windows. There isn't enough room to keep adding every single piece of software I own on it.

I'm really frustrated as I can't even uninstall it!

Right-click on the folder, choose Properties -> Security and make sure that "User" is added with a right to write/change (not just read).

I had a mate help me out. Did share screen and I showed him. I hit update, while the folder menu was open, and the exe file just disappeared again. I had more room than I thought I did in the C drive. installed it there and it seems to be stable for now. This only started happening about two, maybe three months ago. Hopefully it won't start to act up again. Did multiple scans on the E drive and it is just fine. Really can't explain what happened. Shame as I lost two campaigns I was working on.

It got rid of all the stuff in the C:\Users\(yourname)\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fan tasy Grounds as well including pak files for other rule systems and the campaigns I was working on.

Hello Papa Bear,

It seems like there might be an issue with write permissions. You may benefit from the following help article:
    Link: Fix Write Permissions (Windows)

If you are experiencing a known issue that some people are experiencing with uninstalling, please see this article for more information:
    Link: Uninstall Doesn't Complete on Windows 10

As Zacchaeus said, FGC and FGU should install to two entirely different folders, and each shortcut should go to the correct EXE.

Well, I don't know. If the file was deleted then there were write permissions already.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    I had a mate help me out. Did share screen and I showed him. I hit update, while the folder menu was open, and the exe file just disappeared again. I had more room than I thought I did in the C drive. installed it there and it seems to be stable for now. This only started happening about two, maybe three months ago. Hopefully it won't start to act up again. Did multiple scans on the E drive and it is just fine. Really can't explain what happened. Shame as I lost two campaigns I was working on.

It got rid of all the stuff in the C:\Users\(yourname)\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fan tasy Grounds as well including pak files for other rule systems and the campaigns I was working on.
    Be sure to have your Data Directory folder on another drive, and backed up, so if you have to re-install at some point, you don't lose your campaign(s) etc.

Blog Entries
    Please post the program and data directories you use for both FG Classic and FG Unity. These should be four separate paths. Once this is done, you can just set up a shortcut on your desktop that points to each of the EXE files.

Thread Information