Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: FGU Memory Leak

Hi everyone. So during today's session, I did run FG using Syrupy to try to get some metrics. I had it poll the process every 1 minute.

I noticed that this session the lag did not get NEARLY as bad as it usually does. It was tolerable by the 4th hour and still mostly usable. I will note however there was a bit less rolling and use of the chat output this session than usual (but I am not sure how much that has to do with it.)

I've attached the output from Syrupy. You can see that it starts right off at the beginning with 4.9 GB of RAM usage... and it went up 9.9 GB by the end. You can see it continually go up and up. This time, it didn't use all my available RAM, but, it sure seemed to be going that way.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by seansps View Post
    Hi everyone. So during today's session, I did run FG using Syrupy to try to get some metrics. I had it poll the process every 1 minute.

I noticed that this session the lag did not get NEARLY as bad as it usually does. It was tolerable by the 4th hour and still mostly usable. I will note however there was a bit less rolling and use of the chat output this session than usual (but I am not sure how much that has to do with it.)

I've attached the output from Syrupy. You can see that it starts right off at the beginning with 4.9 GB of RAM usage... and it went up 9.9 GB by the end. You can see it continually go up and up. This time, it didn't use all my available RAM, but, it sure seemed to be going that way.
    Do you have the FGU logs of that session as well? I figure that it will be more useful to pair the syrupy logs to the app logs, to see which actions are linked to the increase of memory usage.
    Also, even though I'm not part of SmiteWorks, I'm very curious to see what areas contribute to the memory allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
    Do you have the FGU logs of that session as well? I figure that it will be more useful to pair the syrupy logs to the app logs, to see which actions are linked to the increase of memory usage.
    Also, even though I'm not part of SmiteWorks, I'm very curious to see what areas contribute to the memory allocation
    Shoot, no, I meant to grab logs and forgot. I knew I was forgetting something lol. I will try to grab more logs/data next time.

Blog Entries
    I wonder how large are people's campaign chatlog.html files? These files are written to by the chat and are not rotated etc, they live for the duration of the entire campaign. I now with other applications (SQL, Apache, etc) the logs are rotated or dated so that they do not get too large, because large log files can slow down the application.

Does someone want to rename their chatlog before their next session and see if that helps?
    Last edited by LordEntrails; December 8th, 2021 at 15:40.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I wonder how large are people's campaign chatlog.html files? These files are written to by the chat and are not rotated etc, they live for the duration of the entire campaign. I now with other applications (SQL, Apache, etc) the logs are rotated or dated so that they do not get too large, because large log files can slow down the application.

Does someone want to rename their chatlog before their next session and see if that helps?
    Interesting theory! I checked my original campaign, the chatlog.html file there is 2.9 MB. The lag in that one was also much worse. I created a whole new campaign for the final parts of the adventure module due to that one becoming too large (after creating modules for my custom content.).

My current chatlog.html file is just under 300 KB. I could definitely try renaming it before next session.
    Last edited by seansps; December 8th, 2021 at 20:47.

I'm not sure how useful it is, but I tried running the `leaks` command in macOS against FG. It seems like it believes there's a leak for all the tokens I've added to my `SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/tokens/` folder as well as other files such as `db.xml`, and images in the campaign folder.

I also tried rolling a bunch of dice and some chat input before running the command. You can see at the bottom of the file, lots of random memory addresses. Could be related to the testing I did after initial load, but, I have no way to prove correlation short of having the source code and attaching a debugger/running something like valgrind.

(Split output into 2 files due to file size restrictions.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by seansps; December 8th, 2021 at 21:15. Reason: Some clarifications.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post

I dont believe this is loaded into the game at all.
    I have some very large chat logs and they dont appear to affect the next session.

Chatlogs can be edited and deleted mid-session, so they do not seem to be kept open/loaded, they are just written to.

Quote Originally Posted by seansps View Post
    What makes your FGU use so much RAM? Is this specific to the Mac OS version of FGU or something about your campaign/extensions?

Your session start at close to 40 GB virtual memory on top of those 5 GB. My (Windows) sessions starts at 15 GB virtual memory on top of 1.6 GB physical, which I already consider too much to begin with.

Wouldn't the amount of memory at opening depend on the campaign? If you have a lot of stuff in the campaign, lots of open modules etc then I'd imagine memory would be a higher. The campaign that I have open as I write this is using 669Mb with no open modules. My PF2 campaign opens at around 1Gb because I have the adventure I'm running and the Core rulebook open and have some shared images.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information