5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Moon you are missing the point

As mentioned by Trenloe, please provide any information on performance issues in their own threads.

This thread is specifically about raising an issue with memory performance when rolling a stress test type of scenario (i.e. rolling 100K+ dice rolls in a single session), which is not indicative of normal play.

I'm closing this thread for now, because it has more than adequate information to investigate when we have the resources to investigate stress test cases.

Regards,
    JPG
    I find this sort of action more than a little rude. Not only do you close a thread but you do so with such a dismissive tone. I know you know the problem is real as are the other problems we discussed in private. Please reopen the thread.

Thanks,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    I find this sort of action more than a little rude. Not only do you close a thread but you do so with such a dismissive tone. I know you know the problem is real as are the other problems we discussed in private. Please reopen the thread.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Not sure what the problem is to provide a campaign with a way to duplicate the problem. You just made a new thread with 0 information. I have no idea what your talking about. You could have done what they asked so they can track it better but instead your acting like they don't get a zillion "this doesn't work" statements with little to know context or information.

Like this thread.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I would have responded to the original thread but alas....

He is talking about information on memory leaks being ignored for a year and the corresponding thread being closed.

The memory leak of FGU's chat still does not seem to be solved:

Even returning to the Lobby does not release memory, only restarting FGU does.
    Fortunately not my problem anymore.

Blog Entries
    It was not ignored. It was evaluated and prioritized below other issues. One can debate the priority and importance of solving the issue and even the level of engagement by the developers in the thread, but it is simple wrong to claim that the issue was ignored, as can be evidenced by developer engagement in the thread.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I don't agree with closing the thread, but I agree with the sentiment of Moon's post. As a forum moderator I made a post in that thread because it was devolving into a number of users blaming their performance issues on something that was only being reproduced by sending 10,000 entries to the chat window every minute (be it dice rolls, commas or whatever) - not really a true representation of most FG games. The data in that thread is of value without it being hijacked by other people making comments about their individual performance issues, none of which I could see were proved to be directly related to the main data in that thread.

Here's a few user comments from that thread (these are to illustrate the different issues people are having/could be having):

Have you done any tests without constant dice rolling or chat input? I noticed even in my development campaign (for making custom modules) it started to get super slow. I had it open for maybe 8 hours and it got really laggy by the 5th or 6th hour. And of course I was not doing much rolling at all, mostly just entering data.
    This pretty much proves that this user's issue is not related to the chat window using excessive memory...

I would argue most people are in fact impacted by this. I know me and all 5 of my players are every week when we play.
    The issue could be anything - like the previous quote, for example. But it could literally be anything - it needs more info (logged in its own thread) to aid in trying to track down this specific user's issue.

Anyway, just adding one more voice that I'm seeing FGU performance problems, they are negatively impacting the gaming experience for me and my players, and it is constantly making me reevaluate whether or not I should make the switch to another VTT.
    So, now we have a user who is talking about moving to another VTT due to "FGU performance problems", but I only see posts from this user relating to a potential auto save issue back in April - no further posts about their issues. This is what I'm trying to avoid, and why I posted in the thread in question - user's assuming that an edge test case is what is causing them issues, and now (because SmiteWorks aren't jumping all over this edge test case) they get disgruntled and talk about leaving FG.

I know people are frustrated when they encounter performance issues, and we know they exist. If you have a performance issue - please log it as a new thread and provide any information requested to help identify the issue/s. There are so many different things that could impact an FG group's performance that piggy-backing onto someone else's thread is not the best way to get a fix - it dilutes the original scope of the thread and can also cause confusion all round with potentially different issues being discussed/troubleshooted in the same thread.

We all want to see FGU improve, and as a community moderator I ask you to please help to identify specific issues by communicating them in the most efficient and confusion free way - use your own thread to deal with your specific issues.

EDIT: In addition, as mentioned by the SmiteWorks president in the thread in question: "We tend to prioritize development based on the ease of identifying and fixing the issue, the amount of people it affects, the severity of the effect, marketability, and a few more things." So please keep this in mind if you don't see any short term, or even medium term, movement for your issue. SmiteWorks will keep the issue and data you provided in mind, but it might take them some time to schedule looking into it in their busy development schedule.
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 30th, 2021 at 23:23.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I simply wish to see the original thread reopened. If real life example is needed I'm sure I can provide it and show a memory leak with only a little normal use.

Jason

Saving db.xml is the turning point, but (seemingly) only when FGU is busy ... while saving the database file (more testing needed by developers themselves). If the file is saved during a pause then memory management seems to
    work properly.
    If the file is saved while the dice are rolled then memory management breaks down and usage starts climbing in a rather steep curve (considering that we only roll dice).
    U: Look mum, I found a correlation between auto-save and memory management breaking through the roof.

S: Well boy, we got other priorities, like painting that wall in another color. Can't look at no broken roofs while watching the paint dry.

U: Uh, my bad, sorry to disturb you. I'm off to play with the big boys now. Bye bye.

I simply wish to see the original thread reopened.
    I know you think Moon's actions were rude. If all you want is the thread reopening, and not a discussion about it, may I suggest that you PM Moon Wizard directly and not post your singular request in a public forum?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I've never had a PM to moon be returned so....

Thread Information