STAR TREK 2d20

Settlement Available Magic Items table

Greetings all,

I (very) recently dove into Fantasy Grounds to convert my Curse of the Crimson Throne game over from Roll20 for my long time Pathfinder group. Trying to get a handle on how to use FG after spending far too many hours building everything for my campaign in Roll20. Since the Steam Autumn Sale I have pretty much all of the Pathfinder books as well as the Adventure Path which I can already tell will save me tons of time.

One thing I was never able to do was create a Magic Item generator from the Settlement: Available Magic Items table.

Capture.PNG

Since my players are just getting into Chapter 4 and will be exploring the wider region I've hoped to find a way to generate a loot list for any given settlement they might visit at the touch of a button. I've been scouring the forums and the Forge hoping someone might have already created a Module or Extension that does this, but haven't found anything so far.

For those of you with more experience in FG is this something that could be done by simply creating a new linked Table somehow, or would it need to be an extension to handle the variables? Also I noticed that when using the Table in Ultimate Equipment any potion that comes out is only listed like "Level 1 spell at Caster Level 1". Would it be possible to link another table to roll for what spell the potion would be?
    Last edited by Sonicmixer; November 29th, 2021 at 22:39.

I do not believe anyone has coded this module or extension yet - however, it wouldn't be impossible to do yourself. It would take a bit of work, and I believe a bit of 'culling' of the spell list in order to create something (especially for portions, for example). Have a look at this wiki article: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...tory_Templates

In FGU, you're able to 'nest' tables within each other. By that I mean that it's possible to link another table as a result in the primary table, in order to roll on the secondary, or tertiary, table if needed. If you combine this with the Story Template stuff above, you'll be able to create a random list of magic items.

However, there's no inherent 'crafting' in the PF 1.0 ruleset in FG - for instance, you'll either have to have tables that say "+1 weapon with a +2 enhancement" (flaming burst, for example) or individually create items within FG that correspond to those levels (i.e. having a +1 flaming longsword; a +2 flaming longsword; ect).

If you need help creating those tables or with story entries, let me know and I'd be happy to share my experiences with it.
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Also, there is a difference between the table you linked, and the table in the GMG (Table 37: Avaliable Magic Items) on pg. 207. The linked table ensures that any magic item there is below the base value, while the one in the GMG is for items that are above the base value.

Thanks for all the responses! So as damned and srbongo suggested I took a crack at using the Story Template and only used the existing Tables to which I have access to generate the available items. The Story Template worked like I hoped to be able to use the table X number of times based on the die roll listed for the Settlement size. But I see what you meant srbongo about it not being able to "craft" items and that I'd have to build a table with all the possible items listed explicitly.

@DCrumb: Unfortunately I don't have the books or FG available this morning to check, but looking at the link for D20PFSRD I posted it states the "Minor Items/Medium Items/Major Items" are meant to show "the number of magic items above a settlement’s base value that are available for purchase." I know D20PFSRD has to use the OGL material only since they run ads and they try to consolidate all the rules for a given game mechanic onto one page for clarity sake, so perhaps they are pulling the table from Ultimate Campaign and the rules text from the GMG. Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. The way I've been running it in my game is any magic item under the Base Price would have a 75% chance to be available for purchase which could be rolled once per week. And that the rolled magic items would always be above the base price.

@bmos: Thanks for the link, that's actually VERY useful! Some time ago I was using the following webpage to generate a weekly list of items for Korvosa.

mcmustard.com/pf_items/

Sadly this is no longer available, but what I loved about McMustard's site was that it allowed you to list the base price and it would not include items that fell bellow that value. At one point I even tried to recreate McMustard's webpage on a local webserver after finding his pages source code on GitHub, but I never could get it to work completely as I am unfortunately not familiar enough with Python to fix the errors it kept generating.

Anyway, I guess I could just use the AoN tool for now. Copy paste the results and then search for items my players want to buy manually in FG, but I was hoping to generate the results within FG to take advantage of the wonderful links for all the items already created. Is there maybe a way to modify the AoN results to a friendly format that could be parsed or imported into FG? Baring that I guess I'd be looking at trying to rebuild the whole tool within FG as an extension i suppose, if I wanted a list of items with all their connected links generated onto a new parcel at the press of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicmixer View Post
    Thanks for all the responses! So as damned and srbongo suggested I took a crack at using the Story Template and only used the existing Tables to which I have access to generate the available items. The Story Template worked like I hoped to be able to use the table X number of times based on the die roll listed for the Settlement size. But I see what you meant srbongo about it not being able to "craft" items and that I'd have to build a table with all the possible items listed explicitly.

@DCrumb: Unfortunately I don't have the books or FG available this morning to check, but looking at the link for D20PFSRD I posted it states the "Minor Items/Medium Items/Major Items" are meant to show "the number of magic items above a settlement’s base value that are available for purchase." I know D20PFSRD has to use the OGL material only since they run ads and they try to consolidate all the rules for a given game mechanic onto one page for clarity sake, so perhaps they are pulling the table from Ultimate Campaign and the rules text from the GMG. Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. The way I've been running it in my game is any magic item under the Base Price would have a 75% chance to be available for purchase which could be rolled once per week. And that the rolled magic items would always be above the base price.

@bmos: Thanks for the link, that's actually VERY useful! Some time ago I was using the following webpage to generate a weekly list of items for Korvosa.

mcmustard.com/pf_items/

Sadly this is no longer available, but what I loved about McMustard's site was that it allowed you to list the base price and it would not include items that fell bellow that value. At one point I even tried to recreate McMustard's webpage on a local webserver after finding his pages source code on GitHub, but I never could get it to work completely as I am unfortunately not familiar enough with Python to fix the errors it kept generating.

Anyway, I guess I could just use the AoN tool for now. Copy paste the results and then search for items my players want to buy manually in FG, but I was hoping to generate the results within FG to take advantage of the wonderful links for all the items already created. Is there maybe a way to modify the AoN results to a friendly format that could be parsed or imported into FG? Baring that I guess I'd be looking at trying to rebuild the whole tool within FG as an extension i suppose, if I wanted a list of items with all their connected links generated onto a new parcel at the press of a button.
    That extension would be very useful. It is on my list of future ideas, but not sure when/if ever I'll have time to build it.

woowwww. Thanks Bmos for the generator

After looking at the page again, D20PRD has both the kingdom building magic item table (the first table you see), and also the GMG table, lower down the page.

Thread Information