FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Manual die faux roll

I was wondering what the faux roll is for in the manual die roll window. I thought it would be a fake roll that isn't recorded as a result, but gave the illusion of the die being rolled, then the actual number that is inputted in the die field would show up as the result. Instead, it works just like the die icon that you roll that also records the results. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

That's exactly what the faux roll is for; and it's only available to the GM by design. Note that the GM rolls only appear as shadows on player machines by design, so they don't see the discrepancy. (i.e. perform a roll that goes to manual roll window; then set a value; then trigger an actual roll with the same dice; then replace the actual rolled values with the entered values)

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    That's exactly what the faux roll is for; and it's only available to the GM by design. Note that the GM rolls only appear as shadows on player machines by design, so they don't see the discrepancy. (i.e. perform a roll that goes to manual roll window; then set a value; then trigger an actual roll with the same dice; then replace the actual rolled values with the entered values)

Regards,
    JPG
    I'm not at home, so I can't test it again. But I think I'm doing something out of order. When I tried it earlier today, I would trigger a roll (for instance, an attack roll against a player). This would trigger the manual roll window. I manually entered the number in the number field I wanted. Then I clicked the faux roll. The die roll was concealed on the player side in the form of a shadow dice BUT the outcome of the faux roll was what showed up on the player side, not the outcome of the number I manually entered. I manually put in a number high enough to hit, but the faux roll result was a miss and it showed up on the player's side as a miss. The only way around it was taking a die from the bottom of the chat window, rolling that, then clicking the check mark in the manual die roll window. Then it showed that the result was a hit on the player side.

I just tried it in my 5E campaign; and it's working as expected. Make sure you disable any extensions, and try again. If you can recreate, please provide the steps.

Thanks,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I just tried it in my 5E campaign; and it's working as expected. Make sure you disable any extensions, and try again. If you can recreate, please provide the steps.

Thanks,
    JPG
    I tried it again in Savage Worlds and it didn't work right. The Aboleth made an attack roll against Seymore who has a parry of 6. I triggered the roll and the manual roll window popped up. I inputted an 8 which topped Seymore's parry of 6 and should have been a hit. I clicked faux roll. The result was what the random number the faux roll came up with on both the DM and the player side and showed a miss. Below are the attachements.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Niles; November 29th, 2021 at 16:19.

Blog Entries
    Hi Moon Wizard, I did try it in 5e and it works perfectly. It definitely doesn't work in Savage Worlds. I turned off all extensions before trying.

I've moved this thread to the Savage Worlds forum; and sent a link to the developer, Ikael.

Regards,
    JPG

This feature hasn't worked properly in Savage Worlds for some time. I expect it's on Ikael's long list. A big update is about to drop, so he's pretty busy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    This feature hasn't worked properly in Savage Worlds for some time. I expect it's on Ikael's long list. A big update is about to drop, so he's pretty busy.
    So it sounds like Ikael knows about the glitch? That's good. No doubt it will get fixed in time.

I have been aware of this glitch but it has not been prioritized. I can take a look at it but if I recall right it was not fixed because Savage Worlds uses own dice handling system and adding the support was not easy. I have plan to refactor Savage Worlds to use CoreRPG dice handling system but that has not progressed at all after initial investigation.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Thread Information