5E Character Create Playlist

Party sheet order - placing in map to right causes crash

I created a 5e campaign from scratch. Used character wizard to create 3 characters. I put them into Main Party sheet. I then dropped them into the order map. First time I did this it worked fine.

But then when I removed them and replaced them back into that map I constantly got this error...

[11/28/2021 4:20:47 PM] [ERROR] MOUSE UPDATE: System.NullReferenceException
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component.get_transform(UnityEngine.Co mponent)
    at FG.CompImageTokenLayer.LMHGHNILJDN () [0x00000] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0
    at FG.CompImageTokenLayer.OLOHFMJCFEP () [0x0001e] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0
    at FG.CompImageTokenLayer.OnPointerExit () [0x00026] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0
    at NNNFPHOLAJP.EBDPHEICDEA (UnityEngine.Vector2 NCJHCAOBFKP) [0x00822] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0
    at FMPJEDNFKON.DMKOIIACOMJ (MGFHGLJDIMM GABCKNIJCHP, UnityEngine.Vector2 LPJINEPFOMB) [0x0003d] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0
    at AEKKJAPPMPK.APOENCBIMFH (MGFHGLJDIMM GABCKNIJCHP, UnityEngine.Vector2Int OHCOFOJAPAN) [0x0002a] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0
    at KGNOOCIONDH.ReceiveDrop (MGFHGLJDIMM GABCKNIJCHP, UnityEngine.Vector2Int OHCOFOJAPAN) [0x00035] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0
    at LEECPKFJIAJ.PKJBEAGEEFK (System.Int32 OFIHBJJLLEO) [0x00164] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0
    at LEECPKFJIAJ.JIDMLNKADMN () [0x0005c] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0
    at FG.FGDesktop.OPILCLOHJGM () [0x00010] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0
    at FG.FGDesktop.Update () [0x0004e] in <18459a497fe54c27987683ed95a1cdaf>:0

No idea what any of it means. Closing the project and reopening it with nothing in the real map - and nothing in the partysheet order map - then putting them back into the map worked. I am totally clueless - but got into this state several times. You should probably look in your engine code and make sure you are not assuming whatever blew up as a NUL is guarded against.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Found it - 100% duplicatable. Do a remove all tokens in the party sheet order map and you are dead (get the above crash) until you close and bring the app back up.

Very similar issue with a vanilla Core RPG in 4.1.12.
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti driver 472.12 GRD

1, Party sheet orders panel appears white
    2, Right click in the white area to set a grid, cursor changes but draggin out a size does nothing visable

If you then drag a character or any token for that matter to the area will remain white and the token invisible until you re-scale the window with the mouse wheel. Then they'll become visable but if you do a delete all tokens and turn off the map, you won't be able to rest a map again.

I have the same issue since several weeks...
    Initially, I got the map back with a "zoom to fit" but now as soon as I remove a pointer or character I lose everything, blank background (error as above) and have to restart FGU altogether.

We have a partial fix queued up for the next release. There will still be some strangeness when Delete All Tokens option used, but not when deleting pointers or single tokens. It also corrects with any zoom operation (mouse wheel or radial menu).

In the long run, we're thinking about moving to using a more grid-based formation interface, similar to some video games.

Regards,
    JPG

Fantastic news, it’s such a useful scratch area it does make things a bit awkward with it out of action.

It would be great to see a mock up of what you mean, not sure I fully understand tbh. I use it for quick sketches of areas to make it clearer for players where NPCs are relative to them in narrative based play. If I run an adhoc chase in Call Of Cthulhu it’s fantastic for that too as there’s no edge to fall off of on image record.

One thing I’d love would be the ability to save a sketch and grid created in there as an image record. Then if I need to develop that sketch into a more fully formed map, it’s available as a basic image and I can add details and lights etc. Being able to have multiple drawing layers too would be nice: you want to mark water in blue and solid objects in black. Fast access to letter tokens from within there too would also be a handy addition.

Quote Originally Posted by sedgetone View Post
    I use it for quick sketches of areas to make it clearer for players where NPCs are relative to them in narrative based play. If I run an adhoc chase in Call Of Cthulhu it’s fantastic for that too as there’s no edge to fall off of on image record.

One thing I’d love would be the ability to save a sketch and grid created in there as an image record. Then if I need to develop that sketch into a more fully formed map, it’s available as a basic image and I can add details and lights etc. Being able to have multiple drawing layers too would be nice: you want to mark water in blue and solid objects in black. Fast access to letter tokens from within there too would also be a handy addition.
    Create a new image in the campaign Images list - don't base it on an image asset, click the Add item button or right-click -> create item to create a blank image with all of the usual image controls. The full image view (base background, grid, etc.) will appear once a token is added to the image.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Create a new image in the campaign Images list - don't base it on an image asset, click the Add item button or right-click -> create item to create a blank image with all of the usual image controls. The full image view (base background, grid, etc.) will appear once a token is added to the image.
    Hi Trenloe, I know how to do this but what I meant was if I started sketching something in Marching and Formation in the Party Sheet. Then I decide I want to keep that sketch, either as a permanent record of the nonsense I've been making up on the spot, or to flesh out with proper map assets later. Currently once you clear that window, that's it, contents are gone. What I'd like is the ability to turn it into an Image record, there is no way currently (that I know of) to do this.

Also, if you try creating an Image asset as you've suggested and setting a grid you'll find it's broken in the same way as the Party Sheet.

Hi Trenloe, I know how to do this but what I meant was if I started sketching something in Marching and Formation in the Party Sheet. Then I decide I want to keep that sketch, either as a permanent record of the nonsense I've been making up on the spot, or to flesh out with proper map assets later. Currently once you clear that window, that's it, contents are gone. What I'd like is the ability to turn it into an Image record, there is no way currently (that I know of) to do this.
    Understood. I think the issue here is that the party sheet is being used for stuff it was never designed for. If you create a "current sketch" image that you use for this (share with the players), instead of the party sheet order tab, then you can do all you ask, save it for use later, etc.. Going this route also means that if/when the marching order functionality changes (mentioned by Moon Wizard) you aren't losing your rough sketch image.

You get more functionality using a rough sketch image than using the party sheet. You're not losing anything, but gaining much more. The only difference is that you share the image with the players, it's not in the party sheet. If the players have problems finding the image if they close it, either re-share each time you use it or ask them to drag a link to their hotkey bar so they can easily access it.

Also, if you try creating an Image asset as you've suggested and setting a grid you'll find it's broken in the same way as the Party Sheet.
    Hopefully this will improve in the partial fix mentioned by Moon Wizard. In the meantime, as a work around, either don't delete all tokens from the image - or, if you get the error when adding a new token to a blank image, close the image and re-open it. In theory, if you're using the sketch image similar to the party sheet order image, you'll rarely remove all tokens (as you'll be keeping the PC tokens on there) so the issue should occur only rarely - and if it does, close the image window and re-open it to reset the image (which you can't do in the party sheet - you need to restart FG).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Understood. I think the issue here is that the party sheet is being used for stuff it was never designed for. If you create a "current sketch" image that you use for this (share with the players), instead of the party sheet order tab, then you can do all you ask, save it for use later, etc.. Going this route also means that if/when the marching order functionality changes (mentioned by Moon Wizard) you aren't losing your rough sketch image.

You get more functionality using a rough sketch image than using the party sheet. You're not losing anything, but gaining much more. The only difference is that you share the image with the players, it's not in the party sheet. If the players have problems finding the image if they close it, either re-share each time you use it or ask them to drag a link to their hotkey bar so they can easily access it.

Hopefully this will improve in the partial fix mentioned by Moon Wizard. In the meantime, as a work around, either don't delete all tokens from the image - or, if you get the error when adding a new token to a blank image, close the image and re-open it. In theory, if you're using the sketch image similar to the party sheet order image, you'll rarely remove all tokens (as you'll be keeping the PC tokens on there) so the issue should occur only rarely - and if it does, close the image window and re-open it to reset the image (which you can't do in the party sheet - you need to restart FG).
    Well, I do support drag CT faction (green) onto the map and respect the relative positioning in the order map (I make it actually have a purpose) - so hopefully that sort of data can still be stripped off the order map if they change it. Or better yet - make it actually useful in FGU without making me do that sort of thing in an extension!

Thread Information