DICE PACKS BUNDLE

About to start Starfinder - Suggestions?

I'm about to buy a bunch of Sci-Fi stuff to mess around with for our gaming group, thanks to the sales on currently.

I'm looking at Starfinder, along with a couple of others to add to my collection of game systems.

What else do I need apart from the core rules to have people have fun and me not go nuts trying to create everything from scratch while not break the bank and buy everything?

Is there anything that falls into the "Must Have" or "Highly recommended" categories?

Your suggestions would be most welcome!

Are you planning to run a homebrew campaign or do you want to run an official adventure? What are the specific themes do you want in your campaign?
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
    Are you planning to run a homebrew campaign or do you want to run an official adventure? What are the specific themes do you want in your campaign?
    At this early stage, I'd look to a pre-generated adventure to cut down workload, with a view to possible home-brew later.

I'd read good things about Starfinder Society's "Into the Unknown" or the Paizo's "Against the Aeon Throne - Reach of Empire" as good intro stories and then decide whether to keep buying or do my own thing.

The group has expressed interest in developing aliens as characters.

We'd be looking for a mix of exploration, role-play and combat to begin with

I had read some criticisms that the core book's character class choice were a bit weak, so thought perhaps the Character Operator Manual and possibly an Alien Archive might be worth grabbing while on sale.

This could help give my guys a wider choice to start with and build some depth as we get familiar with things.

By way of contrast, we've all played a lot of D&D and some of us have become frustrated with WotC adventure modules, while others love 'em. I've played some SCi-Fi face-to-face games from back in the 80's and 90's, so Traveller is already in the shopping cart for the "realistic" side of Sci-Fi

Starfinder was to try the SCi-Fantasy blend with a familiar levelling and development growth path that Traveller doesn't support within its core system

We all have been using FGU for a while, some have adapted to it, embraced it and others still have a little trouble

As I said, suggestions or tips would be welcome

I've been running Starfinder for over two years on FG and I strongly recommend the Core Rulebook and then Pact Worlds, Starfinder Armory, and Tech Revolution.

When choosing your first adventure you might want to consider where the adventure takes place. Some APs put the party in locations where the characters don't get to spend a lot of time on Pact world planets and some players never get the true feel for the Starfinder Universe.

I started in the late 70s playing D&D and I have played all kinds of RPGs. Starfinder is crunchy like 3.5 D&D or Pathfinder but spells and magic are weaker. I have had some players become disappointed that spellcaster don't have the same power level as a fantasy based spellcaster.

My players all came from Roll20 and for the most part have transitioned well. It's important to remember that each ruleset has it's own degree of automation and support. Starfinder is well supported but doesn't compare to what your can do in D&D 5e. I do recommend posting in the Starfinder forum to get the best support for any questions. If you have any other questions let me know.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

Well, I splurged and got the lot - essentials bundle complete was only $60 more than core and 5 - your suggestions and the alien and character books. So I have a LOT of reading to do!

I got the SFS Into unknown adventure and the Against the aeon throne arc to start us all off

The level of support in 5e is truly amazing. The number of posts and observed time interaction have been speedy in the other games is less, but still pretty impressive.

Some of us have come from or still use r20 - my experience there has not been great support wise.

Sounds like we have similar backgrounds in RPG's!

Any worthwhile extensions or modules for Starfinder in Forge or DrivethruRPG or in threads that you recommend?

I have reached out and am in the process of getting an Academy lesson in coming days

and bring a towel.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Thread Information