STAR TREK 2d20

Question: If we have multiple FGU Standard licenses to switch GM can we share books?

Hello!

I'm new here and my group is considering purchasing FGU Standard licenses, because we want to take turns being the GM. (Rather than 1 GM using an Ultimate license.)

I've read in the forums that if a GM has an Ultimate license, that GM can share the content of D&D 5e purchased books.

However, we're wondering how it would work for us, with multiple FGU Standard licenses? Can we share the content of D&D 5e purchased books between us, such as the PHB, MM, and DMG? Both sourcebooks and adventures? (We switch GMing from session to session.)

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

And, if there's a better place in the Forums for this topic, feel free to move it there.

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Welcome EnergeticSpaceKeeper

The rulesets and DLC (books etc) and the licenses are meant to be assigned to specific people. They cant be shared.

Only the owner of the books can share and only when they are the DM. So if only one of you have say the PHB then only they can share that module when the others are joined as players. If whoever is the GM does not own the PHB then they can't share it (obviously) and only the player who owns the PHB can use it (with the DMs permission. So if you want to rotate GMs then all of you will need to own the PHB if you want to share it and all of you will need to own the adventure that you are playing if you change DMs each week and play the same adventure. If you are playing different adventures each week then only the DM who is running that adventure needs to own it (you don't share adventures anyway).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you for your explanations - although this does significantly add to our costs if we decide to play here. And, for that reason, it's very disappointing. (And, I understand that this may have more to do with how Wizards of the Coast is licensing them than the way Fantasy Grounds is implementing them.)

One thing some groups which rotate DMs do to reduce the costs is to take out an u;timate subscription license rather than a one off purchase. Since subs can be cancelled easily enough after one DM has finished and then the next one can take out a sub for a while. However in your case switching DMs every week this probably doesn't work for you.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks, Zacchaeus, for mentioning this additional option. This sounds more like what we may need.

To clarify - a subscription will just cover the base license, it won't give a GM temporary ownership of products like the PHB.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks, Trenloe. Pretty much assumed that, since the books will belong to whomever buys them.

Thread Information