DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Any Plans for an Official The Dark Eye Ruleset?

I'm aware of the freebie TDE Extension and XML character sheet and have toyed around with them a bit with the idea of running an adventure. Then I played in a session hosted by the new, official TDE ruleset + Character sheet for Foundry and realized all that was missing. While I appreciate all the compassion and effort that went into the FG freebie, it just isn't complete enough for me to consider running an adventure. I made a post in the Ulisses Spiel Discord channel a while back and was told by staff that other VTTs were being considered, but they wouldn't specifically list any. Well, I just noticed today that the TDE was now available for Roll20, so I have to ask...

Does anyone know if an official TDE ruleset is coming to FG?

Smiteworks have tried in the past to get someone to develop a ruleset for this one I think But with no success. AFAIK it's a hugely complicated game, but largely unknown outside of Germany (if I'm thinking of the correct game).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Smiteworks have tried in the past to get someone to develop a ruleset for this one I think But with no success. AFAIK it's a hugely complicated game, but largely unknown outside of Germany (if I'm thinking of the correct game).
    While it's true the game is most popular in Europe (not just Germany, but Benalux and France too), the 5e TDE English rules are usually top sellers at most online RPG stores - platinum seller on drivethru for example. There's no doubt it's huge in Germany, where it's often outsold different editions of D&D. TDE's complexity is mostly front-loaded during PC creation and in fact gameplay isn't that difficult. All rolls are even or under and all skill rolls are made with 3d20; each d20 representing a different attribute. While combat just involves rolling a single d20 for attacks and defense. And although PC creation is challenging, there's 2 terrific PC building apps available with PWYW pricing on online retailers like drivethru. The best thing about it is the setting of Aventuria, which has a lot of charm and intrigue and the excellent set of tools the ruleset gives Players to explore it. TBH I've been able to get players fluent with the system IRL around a tabletop, after 2-3 sessions. So no, I definitely wouldn't describe it as a "hugely complicated game."

Anyhow sorry to hear that Smiteworks hasn't been successful with finding a developer that could craft a ruleset. Are you referring to recent efforts by Smiteworks, or efforts a few years or more ago? I ask, because when I made my post in the Ulisses Spiele discord channel, it was this year and the staff person made it sound like efforts were just underway or would be undertaken soon.

I don't have any special insight; I've just followed it from posts on the forums. But I know that several attempts have been made over a number of years. It is definitely recognised as an extremely popular ruleset by Smiteworks but they just haven't been able to get anyone interested in developing it. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...(The-Dark-Eye)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    This game is a great example of how skewed the rpg market is.
    TDE is a huuuuuge game in Germany and even outside Germany it is a pretty big game.
    However even a platinum seller has max 2,500 sales.
    2,500 is not a small number but lets work with that as an example.

Max 2,500 English speaking sales of the PDF.
    If you assume (generously) that 30% of those will run it online.
    And you assume that 1/3rd of those use FG as their platform you have 250 copies as your potential market.

Thats how I (and I mean me specifically) would arrive at a rough rule of thumb of potential sales.

The reality is it would likely be lower.
    Many of those people may no longer play TDE.
    Actual sales could be as low as 1,000.
    etc

Anyway - add to that the complexity of the system.

There is publisher interest in having it for sale here but there is no developer sufficiently interested in doing the conversion.

Thread Information