Starfinder Playlist

DM's Loaded and Player-Visible modules not always available to players

Hi

One of my players tonight, under v4.1.12, had an instance upon levelling up a 5e character of not being able to access various things - spells, class abilities, race abilities and the like - because the Players Handbook was not available to him.

The other 4 mentioned that this had all happened to them on occasion in previous versions, on previous occaions.

News to me.

I checked, as DM, and all was set to be loaded, along with other mainstream WotC books.

The player opened his Library and reselected the modules and all was fine again.

Nobody had recalled changing anything prior to this error occurring.

The only other thing that struck me, was that I had started the session with my VPN running, which was introducing some lag, so I changed it and that threw all players off at the beginning of the session, prior to play and several hours prior to this player receiving his error message of unavailable resources.

I'm not even sure if this can be called a bug, but it did strike me as odd.

Do we need to compile log files for you guys to diagnose this?

The real question is whether the modules were loading on the player's side when joining the session; so logs on the GM side would not be useful. The module load state for a player session is saved in the player cache; which should be saved on exit (unless there are file permissions issues).

Next time they join your session, they can potentially pull logs to show whether it's loading or not, but there wouldn't be any data in the logs that would tell us whether it saved or not (unless the last time they played was with you and an error appears in the previous session files (only one session back remembered)).

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information