5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Lost everything made in my campaign after "Check for Update"

I'm using FGU Ultimate, I was on the Test Channel (i've reverted back to Live channel and there is still a complete loss of data) and hit the "Check for Update" button around 10 PM last night as it was red. After doing that, I closed the program, restarted the computer and reopened the program only to find that every single original record entry and calendar entry I had made for this campaign (and it was A LOT, about 2 solid weeks worth of work) was simply gone. The desktop decal was changed, the Calendar module was unloaded and it was like starting a completely new campaign.

I usually make the habit of pre-making every section as a module beforehand but I got a little excited with this campaign and new FGU features I ended up putting in a LOT of work into the actual campaign itself.

If there are formatting issues or more info needed in my post please let me know I'm just a bit distraught over this. I would very much like to resolve this if possible so I don't have to postpone two weeks worth of sessions and have to recreate entire towns again. This is the only problem I've ever had with this program so I'm really trying to stay positive about this.
    Trying to turn this from a hobby to a career.

Switching between TEST and LIVE are two different locations for your campaign data. I would suggest clicking on the folder icon on your dashboard and clicking on channels folder. In there should be TEST and then campaigns holds all of your campaigns you started on TEST. You can simply copy and paste it into the main campaign folder at the beginning of the folder structure and it should then be available. Be careful of having two similar named campaigns as this process will override that campaign.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

My apologies, I should have been more precise. Here's a more detailed breakdown on what happened.

1) Had a campaign going in Live channel
    2) Saw cool updates in Test channel
    3) Backed up my campaign file on local disk
    4) Switched to Test
    5) Ran campaign on test for a while and put in the large amount of work while on Test channel
    6) Clicked the red-ringed 'Check for Updates' button
    7) Relaunched FGU and campaign still in Test mode
    8) All original image, story, extension-based records and calendar entries were gone, the desktop decal was reset and the calendar module itself was unloaded.

Blog Entries
    Please post a screen shot of your campaign folder in the Test channel with file size and date shown. That will help us walk you through recovering from a backup as detailed here;
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...n+Earlier+Save

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Please post a screen shot of your campaign folder in the Test channel with file size and date shown. That will help us walk you through recovering from a backup as detailed here;
    I will read through that link in the meantime!

FGU Help 1.jpg
    FGU Help 2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMeowt View Post
    I will read through that link in the meantime!

FGU Help 1.jpg
    FGU Help 2.jpg
    Turn on the display of file extensions.
    Notice how the file db.xml is so small compared to all those session files? Look at the last one that is large, 20211117.
    - Exit FG
    - Rename db.xml to db-old.xml
    - Copy db.session.20211117.xml and name it db.xml
    - Restart FG and open your campaign.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I wrote this down on a physical note and pinned it to my board because those steps solved it for the most part! Lost a bit of work but that's my lesson learned for not exporting my work as a module. I am so relieved at how simple this was. Beyond appreciative for you, this forum and this amazing product!

Blog Entries
    Glad that got you back on track and thanks for letting us know. Appreciate the appreciation

I'm in a similar situation... When I open my campaign everything is lost that I was keeping track of in the Modules tool (Builder). I've tried going back to Test mode and it's even gone there. Not sure how to recover a lot of material I wrote for future... everything.

@DrakeNRytder,

This is usually caused by FG being force closed while saving data; or some sort of synching software interfering with the campaign files. (We typically recommend against using synch software on FG data folder (i.e. OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.))

There is a wiki article to help with restoring older database saves of the campaign:

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information